Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see any good deals / prices on broadband routers

• 05-01-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

have to replace the abysmal zytel router eircom insist on sending out their customers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You'd be hard pushed to find one at a decent price in any of the stores in Limerick. Better off buy online.

This one's alright, but only two ethernet ports.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7984780/art/d-link/dsl-2680-wireless-n-150-a.html

This one's fairly decent for the price.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/645040/art/d-link/dir-615-wifi-300mbps-wire.html

Have a look around at others though, if you require any exact specifications. Just try not go for anything Belkin. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

roast wrote: »
    You'd be hard pushed to find one at a decent price in any of the stores in Limerick. Better off buy online.

This one's alright, but only two ethernet ports.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7984780/art/d-link/dsl-2680-wireless-n-150-a.html

This one's fairly decent for the price.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/645040/art/d-link/dir-615-wifi-300mbps-wire.html

Have a look around at others though, if you require any exact specifications. Just try not go for anything Belkin. ;)

Strange URLs for pixmania - what's with the .ie/ie/uk address ?

Anyway, is this second one a good one ? I have the eircom one and the range is poor with the iPhone losing WiFi (although an iPad doesn't seem to be as fickle)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Anyway, is this second one a good one ? I have the eircom one and the range is poor with the iPhone losing WiFi (although an iPad doesn't seem to be as fickle)

im losing signals on all devices, tried different settings, ports the works,
    its getting fired in the bin as soon as i get a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Liam Byrne wrote: »

im losing signals on all devices, tried different settings, ports the works,
    its getting fired in the bin as soon as i get a new one

Second one is fairly decent. Wireless-N is the new wireless standard. Faster wireless speeds (for transferring files between devices on the network) and better range.

The Eircom Zyxel modems are a POS. Surprisingly, the older Eircom Netopia ones seem more stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I've seen routers at decent prices around the DSG shops (Currys & PC world). You'd save a few quid online but something small like that I'd often pick up locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I picked up this one in Argos a few weeks ago for the parents place as theirs had packed up and has been working perfectly so far. Problem is though I got it for €50 and its gone up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

another thing though to consider is the internal structure of the house, no matter how fast the router is, if the walls are solid (as in like a solid foot thick walls) you'll have problems getting signals between rooms.

i've used belkins as long as i've had broadband (10 years), right now i have a 'belkin n600 play' router that replaced a belkin n1 vision, i get to mess around with all manner and make of router, the eircom zyxel is a notorious pain in the proverbial, but solid enough once set up right, (i still keep it as a tester router when im out on jobs), but if you can get one of the old netopias on adverts.ie then you're laughing, no need for a bells and whistles router if all you want is internet access!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

another thing though to consider is the internal structure of the house, no matter how fast the router is, if the walls are solid (as in like a solid foot thick walls) you'll have problems getting signals between rooms.

i've used belkins as long as i've had broadband (10 years), right now i have a 'belkin n600 play' router that replaced a belkin n1 vision, i get to mess around with all manner and make of router, the eircom zyxel is a notorious pain in the proverbial, but solid enough once set up right, (i still keep it as a tester router when im out on jobs), but if you can get one of the old netopias on adverts.ie then you're laughing, no need for a bells and whistles router if all you want is internet access!

that D-link one that roast linked to in his second link would be more than perfect for the job, and at that price too is an absolute bargain! you have to remember that the old netopia routers only have a wi-fi throughput of 54mb/s whereas with that one it says 300mb/s but you'll more realistically get 150mb/s. i think it has gigabit ports (1000mb/s) too which is handy for file transfers between gigabit port enabled laptops (most newer laptops are, and Cat6 cable is cheap), plus i think the new xbox slim is also gigabit enabled, a godsend if you use windows media center extender! but still fast enough over normal 100mb/s, i only have a fat xbox myself.

Advertisement