Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 05-01-2012 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi

Just some advice needed,

I am renting an apartment, I am the sole occupant. I am having issues with the apartment above me, They constantly play loud music, most often during week nights, Mostly starting 11am - 2.30am, They use the kitchen as there main area, which is directly above my bed room, So all I am also woke by chairs being pulled across the floor. I work 9-5, they seem to work nights or something, Cause nothing happens til about 10pm. They also smoke outside, which is directly above my bedroom window, and vent, So i also get woken by them talking. Mostly even if they are not playing music there is a lot of move furniture (Screeching) and banging til at least 1-2am, making it difficult to get to sleep.

I would not mind so much about the weekends, but its the week days that are killing me. I have contacted the landlord, and they called the management company, they where quite for about 2 weeks after, but that seems to be the general cycle to things, I don't want to confront them directly as there is a couple of them and I don't wont to start tit-for-tat crap with them.

I am 6 months into a 12 month fixed term lease, I do like the place but am unable to relax as I am constantly wondering will they wont they start up tonight,

Am I within my rights to break the lease and move on, I know if you go the route of trying to get them moved it could go on forever. It is effecting my work as some days I'm having 4/5 hours broken sleep.

I don't care about the deposit the landlord can keep it, I just don't want to be pursued for the remaining 6 months on the lease. Do i have grounds on the Tenants right of a peaceful living environment.

Any advice that can be giving is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Kimura wrote: »
    Hi

Just some advice needed,

I am renting an apartment, I am the sole occupant. I am having issues with the apartment above me, They constantly play loud music, most often during week nights, Mostly starting 11am - 2.30am, They use the kitchen as there main area, which is directly above my bed room, So all I am also woke by chairs being pulled across the floor. I work 9-5, they seem to work nights or something, Cause nothing happens til about 10pm. They also smoke outside, which is directly above my bedroom window, and vent, So i also get woken by them talking. Mostly even if they are not playing music there is a lot of move furniture (Screeching) and banging til at least 1-2am, making it difficult to get to sleep.

I would not mind so much about the weekends, but its the week days that are killing me. I have contacted the landlord, and they called the management company, they where quite for about 2 weeks after, but that seems to be the general cycle to things, I don't want to confront them directly as there is a couple of them and I don't wont to start tit-for-tat crap with them.

I am 6 months into a 12 month fixed term lease, I do like the place but am unable to relax as I am constantly wondering will they wont they start up tonight,

Am I within my rights to break the lease and move on, I know if you go the route of trying to get them moved it could go on forever. It is effecting my work as some days I'm having 4/5 hours broken sleep.

I don't care about the deposit the landlord can keep it, I just don't want to be pursued for the remaining 6 months on the lease. Do i have grounds on the Tenants right of a peaceful living environment.

Any advice that can be giving is much appreciated.

Thanks

If you have already gone down the road of speaking to mgn company and that hasnt worked long term and you dont want to confront them which is understandable then I dont see any other option than to leave

Its not a reason to break your lease but as there are no laws in this land where you will be pursued by the landlord and as you dont mind loosing your deposit then you are free to go

Morally I would speak to your LL tell them thats its just not working out and let them know your looking for somewhere else try give a number of weeks or a months notice so your not screwing your LL totally and see if you can come to some arrangement regarding the deposit

or you can always buy some earplugs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

edellc wrote: »
    Its not a reason to break your lease but as there are no laws in this land where you will be pursued by the landlord
    Except for the fact that the OP has signed a contract for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Except for the fact that the OP has signed a contract for 12 months.

Please expand on this as, unless its followed through legally, IMO its not worth jack. So, can you substantiate the legal & financial deterrent aspect of a lease with 6 months remaining. I am sure others will also be waiting with bated breath....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

If your there six months and don't mind loosing your deposit id give notice of one month that will mean you will be there 7months and your deposit. Why would he bother chasing 4 months rent if I was your landlord I wouldn't bother
    Talk to him /her and see what they say they may even give your your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

wexford12 wrote: »
    If your there six months and don't mind loosing your deposit id give notice of one month that will mean you will be there 7months and your deposit. Why would he bother chasing 4 months rent if I was your landlord I wouldn't bother
    Talk to him /her and see what they say they may even give your your deposit back.

Yep would aggree lifes to short to put up with the hassel, especially as you are only renting.. move on

• Advertisement
Advertisement