Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloss paint just won't dry

• 05-01-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I'm doing up my bedroom at the moment while my wife and kids are away for a few days. Everything was going great (old floor taken up, woodwork sanded down, coving put up, ceiling and walls painted) and then in my wisdom, I decided to paint the window cill and the architrave around the doors prior to putting down the new wooden floor. My reasoning was that any spilt paint would fall onto the concrete instead of the new wood flooring. I painted the woodwork last night with Crown Solo paint (I've used this before and it gave excellent results) and finished around 9.30pm. When I woke up this morning, I checked the paint and it was still tacky. I left it and checked several more times up to a half hour ago and its still tacky.

I put a convection heater in the room for 5 hours but this didn't help to dry the paint. I then opened the windows and the wind didn't do the trick either. This has put me a day behind schedule as I can't do the flooring until this paint dries. The reason for this is that the underlay is a fibreboard and it gives off thousands of micro fibres when its being laid. These would stick to the tacky paint and I'd end up with hairy woodwork:rolleyes:.

Any tips on getting this paint to dry (it says 4 hours to touch dry on the tin - its now 20 hours and its still not dry!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did you stir paint before application? Sounds like the oil may have risen to top and this is why it hasnt dried....

Best thing to do now is get a cloth damped down with white spirts and wipe off. It may take a couple of times but it might not dry for you otherwise...

Advertisement