Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence in flatshare

Options
  • 05-01-2012 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I plan to move to Ireland and get a room in a shared flat (i.e. I will only have the bedroom for myself). Would I have to pay the full amount of 160 EUR for a TV in my room? And if I don't have a TV but there is one in the living room - is it my legal responsibility to care about its TV license even if I'm not its owner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you or anyone else is using the TV then you should share the cost. If there was no other TV in the flat, but only in your room (and no-one else), then you alone should pay. It doesn't matter who owns it, only if you use it. With a common room TV that is used by all tenants, I would expect the cost to be shared equally. Don't break it down into who uses "more" TV or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's one license per residential premises, regardless of how many TVs are there. It's usually the norm in a house/flat share situation that everyone chips in. However if yours was the only TV in the place, and it was in your bedroom (as opposed to a communal area), then it would be reasonable for you to pay the full cost yourself.

Advertisement