Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabertooths had super buff arms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wonder do the saber teeth lose something in terms of composition during fossilisation which makes them appear much weaker, perhaps a horny sheath of some sort?
    It is odd that best testing indicates they could not have penetrated bone, when teeth marks show they did just that!
    Reminds me a bit of how The Truth About Killer Dinosaurs TV show reckoned Velociraptor's sickle claw was virtually useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wonder do the saber teeth lose something in terms of composition during fossilisation which makes them appear much weaker, perhaps a horny sheath of some sort?
    It is odd that best testing indicates they could not have penetrated bone, when teeth marks show they did just that!
    Reminds me a bit of how The Truth About Killer Dinosaurs TV show reckoned Velociraptor's sickle claw was virtually useless.

I, on the other hand, wonder what sort of sad mistake of evolution gave rise to scientists who think they can match Nature's work with clusmy machines, bad CG renderings and pedantry. If they can´t find a way to make THEIR replica work, they assume that Nature couldn´t do better- the claw/fang/whatever was weak and almost useless. Nothing more than arrogance, me thinks.
    The bite marks are there; the fact that saberteeth were hunting beasts larger than themselves (which is actually the reason for those sabers) should be enough proof that the fangs were not "weak", that they didn´t "shatter" when prey struggled. Maybe they couldn´t pierce concrete, but they didn´t have to; they were supossed to stab through the flesh of other animals, and if many different linneages of predators developed saber teeth in several points of history, then it should be obvious that they worked just fine.

BTW, I never bought the idea that sabertooths bit only the throat of their prey, as most scientists are saying nowadays. The conical shaped fangs of pantherines and of sabertooth ancestors are good enough for biting through throats- that's what they do today after all. I think the whole point of developing saberteeth is that no matter where they bit, the wound was devastating to the victim. Why evolve sabers (and all that comes with them) if they're going to keep doing what their saber-less ancestors and relatives do with completely normal teeth? Doesn´t make sense to me.

Advertisement