Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dull taste from Indian vegetarian food

Options
  • 05-01-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I find it hard nowadays to find a tasty Indian curry that isn't loaded with that yellowy oil - veg. oil probably. I heard some genetically modified veg is being grown in India. Perhaps this is one reason for the lack of taste, or even the over use of pesticide could be another. A few years ago I used to really enjoy a curry from these places but not so much now. :(
    Btw I was eating meat back then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's probably ghee, which is from butter, and is yellowish.
    There's plenty of tasty vegetarian indian food available in my experience. Depends on the specific restaurant how good they are really. Some places really do load them with ghee though. I've found myself spooning it off the top before.
    You could always try making some yourself. Keeps and reheats well so you can make loads at a time, so the preparation time is worth it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

My local Indian does a Chana Massala, it is absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

alot of restaurants use alto more olive oil and mustard oil instead of ghee these days. could be mustard oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

OP if you're near Dublin try Delhi O'Deli on Moore street.

They have really interesting authentic Indian dishes for low prices, and everything is vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Peanut wrote: »
    OP if you're near Dublin try Delhi O'Deli on Moore street.

They have really interesting authentic Indian dishes for low prices, and everything is vegetarian.

What a fantastic vegetarian restaurant, the best food without meat I've ever tasted. Their 'five for a fiver' deal is very good value. I recommend bringing your carniverous friends there to show them what's possible without meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Thanks for directing me to Moore street. Went the other day and got a satisfying veg meal from a carvery for 6.50E - very fair price considering you can load up your plate. I think I saw Dehli O'Deli but I couldn't remember if that was the place recommended. I went down a stairs and was delighted to have a simple, cheap meal with no aul s h i t e like candles and ornamnets - coz one is paying for the glamour in more expensive restaurants.
    Next time I'll visit D.O'D. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

What a fantastic vegetarian restaurant, the best food without meat I've ever tasted. Their 'five for a fiver' deal is very good value. I recommend bringing your carniverous friends there to show them what's possible without meat.

Yeah, tried it last week, fantastic place. Great food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The only dish that I will not order in an Indian if I can help it is a dal dish. I find that they are not very flavoursome and also are more like a sauce than anything of real substance because of the mushiness of them dishes.

Besides that, I think Indian food has the best vegetarian options on the planet.

I'm hungry now just thinking about it.

kraggy wrote: »
    The only dish that I will not order in an Indian if I can help it is a dal dish. I find that they are not very flavoursome and also are more like a sauce than anything of real substance because of the mushiness of them dishes.

Besides that, I think Indian food has the best vegetarian options on the planet.

I'm hungry now just thinking about it.
    They vary in taste and texture a great deal. Most places I've tried them I've disliked them, but a couple of places make terrific ones. I also make it myself quite often, which I like a lot.

Poppadom (in Limerick), Bombay Pantry, Green Saffron (in markets in Cork and Limerick) do good ones imo.

They vary in taste and texture a great deal. Most places I've tried them I've disliked them, but a couple of places make terrific ones. I also make it myself quite often, which I like a lot.

Poppadom (in Limerick), Bombay Pantry, Green Saffron (in markets in Cork and Limerick) do good ones imo.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/boss-ordered-to-give-91000-to-slave-worker-2875733.html

Have you seen the Poppadom slave labour case?
    Was raging when I saw that.

Had an awful takeaway from Bombay pantry recently too. I wonder if they have gone downhill? One of the curries, was completely uncooked. The dal was gorgeous, the naan decent. But everything else I could have passed on. Disappointing.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/boss-ordered-to-give-91000-to-slave-worker-2875733.html

Have you seen the Poppadom slave labour case?
    Was raging when I saw that.

Had an awful takeaway from Bombay pantry recently too. I wonder if they have gone downhill? One of the curries, was completely uncooked. The dal was gorgeous, the naan decent. But everything else I could have passed on. Disappointing.
    Link wont open for some reason. TBH I'd take anything published in the Indo with a large pinch of salt - and maybe a good spoonful of garam masala.

edit: Yeah the figures dont add up really. Underpaid by 86k over 7 years, working 77 hours a week for 52 weeks a year. Works out as being underpaid by about 3 euro an hour overall. That could indicate not being paid overtime rates after 40 hours a week which is common. Doesn't indicate whether the free accommodation he was provided was taken into account or not. Not really clear if he was pressurised into this or volunteering for it. Maybe the situation was really bad. Maybe it was pretty typical and not that bad at all. I can't tell. All I see is hyperbole and bad journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Had an awful takeaway from Bombay pantry recently too. I wonder if they have gone downhill?
    They have, portion sizes are down and I don't think the quality is there anymore. Of course everywhere is watching the margins these days.

Advertisement