Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed regarding the identity of the villain so it's all speculation at this point.

The funny thing about saying that it's Khan is that the synopsis states that the villain is "an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization..."

That cannot in any way be Khan unless, for some reason, he escapes the Botany Bay in another way years earlier than the original series, assumed a different identity and joined Starfleet before rising up the ranks. In my opinion, this is taking too much liberty.

There are three main contenders for this villain as of yesterday. Khan, Garth of Izar and Gary Mitchell. We have seen and read evidence that would support the belief that any one of these could be the villain, and yet we have reasons to believe that NONE of these villains truely fit what we have seen. Garth of Izar (a reknowned Fleet Captain) doesn't fit the superhuman abilities we see in this trailer but fits the bill as someone from the inside of Starfleet wreaking havoc. Gary Mitchell (given god like powers) also does not fit the bill either as his story has been dealt with in the Canon comic books that bridge the gap between the films. And again, Khan is not Starfleet!

The reason I think it's Khan is that the end of the Japanese trailer is very reminiscent of TWOK, which I only just watched recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The reason I think it's Khan is that the end of the Japanese trailer is very reminiscent of TWOK, which I only just watched recently.

Exactly the
    hands on the glass
    thing is pretty significant if you think about TWOK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Inception horns, you strike again! *shakes fist*

it has also has the standard blue/orange colour palette ever movie seems to have these days, are Hollywood just opposed to different colours these days?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly the
    hands on the glass
    thing is pretty significant if you think about TWOK

I'll call it now. This is just clever editing. This scene is there in the trailer to screw with our heads.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll call it now. This is just clever editing. This scene is there in the trailer to screw with our heads.

If that's the case, then that's pretty exceptional and a decent nod to the hardcore fans, who would remember something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Goldstein wrote: »
    For the record i'm not one of those. I dislike the film, entertaining as it was, almost purely because it was poorly written with little to no evidence of any though process behind all elements of its script & plot. A fact glossed over by its fans.

Can't get behind the film either. I appreciate the tone, having a fresh start and the cast is pretty great (with the exception of Pegg) but overall the script just kills it for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

The thing that trailer reminded me of the most is this trailer...

Can't get behind the film either. I appreciate the tone, having a fresh start and the cast is pretty great (with the exception of Pegg) but overall the script just kills it for me.

Thing is that Star Trek was never really known for it's good dialogue. There's just so many cheesy moments. Even from TWOK, where Khan says something like:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold. Well, Space is very cold".

Agree..

First...

Spock isn't "family" - unless you're talking the crew of a ship as family

Second...

Having a scene in one film that's an homage to a scene in another doesn't mean the two films share a plot, characters, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MilanPan!c wrote: »

The crew is deffinitely Kirks family no question there tbh

VinLieger wrote: »
    The crew is deffinitely Kirks family no question there tbh

we'll see... :)

Can't wait!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is a chance of course that it's a brand new villain that borrows traits from all three of the ones we've come to suspect.

Also that's a fair point FutureGuy and MilanPan!c make in that a homage to a scene doesn't necessarily mean the plot/characters will be there and it's just to scre with our heads.

Either way the trailer looked decent enough to me even if they did have to throw the old DUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR............DUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR......... into it :D
    we'll see... :)

Can't wait!

Ah here, we saw that in the last film and the other films featuring the original crew before it. Though unless you're just saying that might not be spock's hand then I get what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

All it's getting from me at the moment is a big fat hmmmmm. May as well have been a trailer for Battleship. It neither excited me nor dismayed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Agree..

First...

Second...

Having a scene in one film that's an homage to a scene in another doesn't mean the two films share a plot, characters, etc.
    'Family' could also be a double-meaning? Maybe Cumberbatch's character is also referring to his own (dead?) family, for which he sees the federation as responsible for and is his motivation for revenge, carnage, etc, or maybe he's trying to save them. Loosely similar to Malcolm McDowell in Generations.

Vokes wrote: »
    'Family' could also be a double-meaning? Maybe Cumberbatch's character is also referring to his own (dead?) family, for which he sees the federation as responsible for and is his motivation for revenge, carnage, etc, or maybe he's trying to save them. Loosely similar to Malcolm McDowell in Generations.

Kirks mother was in StarFleet or at the very least living on a Federation ship. I presume it's the former. She could be killed.

I also have a feeling this could relate to Admiral Pike. There were the formations of a father/son relationship in the first movie.

Kirks mother was in StarFleet or at the very least living on a Federation ship. I presume it's the former. She could be killed.

I also have a feeling this could relate to Admiral Pike. There were the formations of a father/son relationship in the first movie.

This is kinda what I was thinking...

It'll become more (probably too) clear in the coming trailers I'm sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree with others in that I think we're being trolled, tricked by some clever marketing. There's no good reason to think Cumberbatch's speech relates to Kirk at all, and I bet it's being taken completely out of context, to match the otherwise sombre tone of the visuals. Get everyone talking about deaths & tie-ins with the Wrath of Khan.

If someone is to die, I'm confident lightning won't strike twice & Spock isn't for the chop. By everyone's own admission, Star Trek 2009 broadened its audience & made itself accessible to all. With that in mind, do you really think a franchise playing it that safe, and that wide-ranging, is going to kill off one of the crew for the sake of fan-service?

Putting my cards on the table right now; Bruce Greenwood is the one to watch his back because I guarantee Pike will be killed off in the first half. The reboot was many things, but it sure as hell wasn't subtle about shovelling concepts of destiny, fate and role-models into Kirks new storyline. If that somewhat simplistic storytelling continues, the next natural step would be to kill off Kirks one remaining rolemodel & father figure - Pike. Making the character suffer & grow through loss: Spock got it last time around, it's Kirks turn next I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The 9 minute preview will be playing in front of Cineworld's IMAX showings of The Hobbit.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/the-extended-preview-of-j-j-abrams-star-trek-into-darkness-will-debut-in-imax-3d-on-december-14th/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

A theory: Peter Weller is Khan (hence why he's not shown,) Cumberbatch is Joachim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

BrookieD wrote: »
    A theory: Peter Weller is Khan (hence why he's not shown,) Cumberbatch is Joachim

Weller could make a brilliant Khan but the age doesn't match up surely. Hes in his 30's when he gets freed from the Botany Bay but then again with alternative timeline who knows what they can do.

"yours is superior"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is the nine minute preview just the opening of the film or is it 'selected' scenes? Either way, I'll be avoiding it. I just don't like seeing that much of the film. If it's a sort of standalone prologue, maybe, but otherwise I'd be steering clear.

Is the nine minute preview just the opening of the film or is it 'selected' scenes? Either way, I'll be avoiding it. I just don't like seeing that much of the film. If it's a sort of standalone prologue, maybe, but otherwise I'd be steering clear.

I'd imagine it's something along the lines of the prologues for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

They probably came to the idea of implementing and previewing such a prologue independently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

My bet is it's Mitchel.
    A funny think occurred to me while watching the trailer.
    The blond actress looks a lot like the character in the original episode.

Just a little thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

High hopes for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

First poster released -

star-trek-into-darkness-teaser-poster1-610x903.jpg

Seems they're trying to get TDKR's look with the whole crumbling and wrecked buildings making the insignia thing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I'm not seeing Khan myself here.

Can't see the bad guys ears properly ?
    What if he is a Romulan spy inside the Federation that sees the arrival of older Spock as a threat, and decides to destroy the Federation before they get the advanced technology that older Spock will have in his head.

When did humans meet Romulans for the first time in the original series anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

TheUsual wrote: »
    I'm not seeing Khan myself here.

Can't see the bad guys ears properly ?
    What if he is a Romulan spy inside the Federation that sees the arrival of older Spock as a threat, and decides to destroy the Federation before they get the advanced technology that older Spock will have in his head.

When did humans meet Romulans for the first time in the original series anyway ?

From a faded memory there was a war, fought with nukes as opposed to photon torps, where they never actually SAW each other, just ships.

There was an episode of TOS which had the Enterprise battling a Romulan BOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Not sure has anyone mentioned it but the Pickle (or something that looks an awful lot like it) is in the bottom right corner of that picture so maybe it takes place in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gbear wrote: »
    Not sure has anyone mentioned it but the Pickle (or something that looks an awful lot like it) is in the bottom right corner of that picture so maybe it takes place in London?

Well there is likely to be a city destroyed so maybe the Americans don't want to see one of their own cities getting trashed.

Calling it now, Cucumberbatch is Sybok :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyone else find Alice Eve's scream in the teaser a bit strange? It's like a delayed reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Anyone else find Alice Eve's scream in the teaser a bit strange? It's like a delayed reaction.

I bet they put one of those nasty space bugs down her back when she was working on science stuff in her tight blue uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well there is likely to be a city destroyed so maybe the Americans don't want to see one of their own cities getting trashed.

What, Americans love that stuff, Roland Emmerich built a career on it :pac:

It's not Benedict Cumberbatch narrating that trailer, is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It is, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Calling it now, Cucumberbatch is Sybok :p

My money is on him being the new and improved version of the Gorn, out for Kirk's blood. Let the rock throwing and stick duals commence! :D:p

1350738_o.gif

All has been revealed! Cumberbatch is playing...

Are you ready for it?

Are you sure?

John Harrison

It is, yes.
    Really?

• Advertisement

Really?

Yeah, why? Do you not think it sounds like him?

All has been revealed! Cumberbatch is playing...

Are you ready for it?

Are you sure?

John Harrison

Sounds like a placeholder. If I recall correctly hadn't it been confirmed that the villian was someone pre-existing in Star Trek? I've never heard of
    John Harrison
    before.

Sounds like a placeholder. If I recall correctly hadn't it been confirmed that the villian was someone pre-existing in Star Trek? I've never heard of him before.

He's apparently a
    very minor character in the original series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Slashfilm tweeted (which was later retweeted by Lindelof) that there is another trailer due this week.

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/277541859524489216

Just to troll everyone who THINKS they have this film and this villain figured out, Alice Eve's character has been confirmed...
    Carol Marcus, who Kirk has a kid with...she appears in The Wrath of Khan

According to this, Marcus has a possible connection to Gary Mitchell as well.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Carol_Marcus

Yeah, why? Do you not think it sounds like him?

Not at all.. sounds more like Picard than Sherlock ;)

This voice

Is this voice?

It sounds exactly like him. Nothing like Patrick Stewart IMO.

I don't watch Sherlock though and am basing this on Tinker Tailor, Atonement and War Horse, which are the main things I've seen Cumberbatch in. Maybe his Sherlock voice is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Sybok, Dont know why but thinking of Sybok as the villian..... The image of the two hands touching on glass is Cumby and Spock in the 1st act of the film (Big grain of salt needed but ye never know)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It sounds slightly different to his everyday/sherlock voice because he's trying to sound evil. I think its called acting or something :P

Advertisement