Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

It sounds exactly like him. Nothing like Patrick Stewart IMO.

I don't watch Sherlock though and am basing this on Tinker Tailor, Atonement and War Horse, which are the main things I've seen Cumberbatch in. Maybe his Sherlock voice is different.

Hmmm... I've only seen Sherlock and Parades End. I keep meaning to see Tinker Tailor... But won't see a movie about a horse. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It sounds slightly different to his everyday/sherlock voice because he's trying to sound evil. I think its called acting or something :P

Too me it sounds very different. But sure, it won't be the first time I've been wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I think all the possible villains, I've heard so far have been perfectly viable. Khan. Gary Mitchell. Garth of Izar. Harry Mudd. Ok I was kidding about the last one! But here's a curve ball for you. When they mentioned that Peter Weller was in it. It got me thinking. What about Colonel Green? I know he should be long dead. But nothing about his eventual fate is ever known. And if Khan could return from the 1990's. There's nothing to stop them finding a way to bring Green back. A devious military genius. Surely he would be the perfect foil for Kirk? I guess we're going to have wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

BrookieD wrote: »
    Sybok, Dont know why but thinking of Sybok as the villian..... The image of the two hands touching on glass is Cumby and Spock in the 1st act of the film (Big grain of salt needed but ye never know)

By the looks of this new image that has been released, you might be onto something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just noticed there Comby is in full uniform with Delta badge????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just noticed there Comby is in full uniform with Delta badge????

It's the same garb Kirk had when he was suspended from duty in the first movie, like a non-enlisted crew member uniform?

Did Sybok not have vulcan ears in ST:5?

I'm standing by Gary Mitchell as my guess. Nothing to suggest he has God-like abilities yet, but I wouldn't want Khan for a few reasons: Ricardo Montalban was awesome and this Kirk is too young to have a villain who has spent decades building up the hatred for Kirk that could inspire anything remotely similar to wrath.

"The mild dislike of Khan" maybe, but I don't think it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Saw the preview before the hobbit in imax yesterday.looks good and entertaining again. Kind of reminded me of firefly/serenity a little bit actually.

One question related to the poster was answered anyway.
    it is london

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Doesnt really give too much away, I like it.

Wonder who the family is that he's referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I was hoping to get more hints about the bad guy from that but he doesn't have pointy ears is all I can deduct.

Kirk is still a kid running a starship really. We all know the missions and enemies he has faced in the alternative timeline, but he is really just a cadet here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The trailers are giving some massive nods.

Ship coming out of the ocean - nod to the Mutara nebula scene
    Carol Marcus has to be the blonde one
    Did I just see Kevin Riley running in one part of the trailer? For the love of God please no American 'Irish Accents'.
    And of course the glass hand touching scene.

Looks awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Doesnt really give too much away, I like it.

Wonder who the family is that he's referring to?

Alice Eve is playing Dr. Carol Marcus in it, so could be something similar to that. I think she's the screaming blonde woman in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Did I just see Kevin Riley running in one part of the trailer? For the love of God please no American 'Irish Accents'.

Looks awesome.

the more i see of this the more i like it! will be a long wait for it.

anyone think there could be a role reversal of the spock - kirk scene at the glass? it alludes to what kirk would be willing to sacrifice....

prob way off the wall but it's the season for it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Kirks brother I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kirks brother I would guess.

Nah i reckon its the crew family more specifically spock who probably becomes a "brother"

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks awesome.

That looked like a ship, possibly the Enterprise, crashing into the ocean to me.

Trailer looks great, first half at least very similar in tone to the Superman trailer imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Trailer looks great, first half at least very similar in tone to the Superman trailer imo!

Maybe the two films are tied together like "The Avengers" and "Ironman".

General Zod bring chaos to the Federation and who can stand in his way ?

That looked like a ship, possibly the Enterprise, crashing into the ocean to me.

Teasers have it coming back out.

Enterprise:

star-trek-into-darkness.jpg

Exitprise:

560.startrek.4..jc.jpeg

I think it was posted in talk about the IMAX preview, so I won't spoil it here. But I believe they are two different scenes, one of the Enterprise crashing into San Francisco Bay and the other of it rising from the water (similar to rising through the gas cloud in the first movie) near the start.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that definitely water in the second one? looks more like its rising through a cloud? Only going by the picture now.

Is that definitely water in the second one? looks more like its rising through a cloud? Only going by the picture now.

Yeah, the image isn't great, but it is clearly water when you watch the trailer. Also, the IMAX preview pretty much confirms it:
    On the red planet, the Enterprise avoids the natives by hiding under the ocean, there is some wisecrack from Scotty about the Enterprise and it's water-tightness. Haven't seen it myself, just going by a transcript.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Dont think the first img is the Enterprise but of another Fleet ship. Can see them destroying 1701 for the A version already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Dont think the first img is the Enterprise but of another Fleet ship. Can see them destroying 1701 for the A version already

I think it was rumoured to be the Nautilus or something like that. Definitely has an NX outline though so not the Enterprise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yeah it's definately not the Enterprise crashing. It's a different class of ship.

A ship called "Nautilus" crashes into the sea?

Oh no you di'in'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like that other one has been pulled so thought i'd stick another one in here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion of the scenes shown prior to the HFR Hobbit screening. I thought it a funny juxtaposition that a film with such a breakneck pacing as Star Trek was chosen to preview ahead of the ponderously-paced Hobbit.

I got the impression we were watching a compiled version of the first 15 minutes, and needless to say it doesn't answer the question as to who Cumberbatch is playing (Though the scene with him is equally baffling - not sure what / who's Noel Clarke's character was meant to be & what his significance is). It did constitute a fairly amped-up version of the Prime Directive though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks awesome.

But why does it have to be giving nods to previous movies?
    Why can't it just be it's own movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Aren't the pod like things in the trailer a slight nod to Khan? frost on the windows hint towards some sort of cryo/stasis. The possible 'family' he hints at?

But why does it have to be giving nods to previous movies?
    Why can't it just be it's own movie?

I dunno ask JJ Abrams. He is the nods master though and perhaps because Sci-fi nerds like nods. In Star Trek: The Motion Picture ILM decided to have some fun and inserted Darth Vader and Miss Piggy into the special effects. The latest Star Trek Movie has C3PO in the debris scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The footage shown before The Hobbit was fairly underwhelming imo. I'd say it'll be much better in context but it mostly just kinda annoyed me, particularly
    Kirk and Bones' super-speed swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

More footage: a 30-second teaser to be shown during the Super Bowl:

"I am better."
    "At what?"
    "Everything."

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks like Cumberbatch is probably playing an "augment", which is Enterprise terminology for one of Khan's genetically engineered supermen. If so, he's a Khan-like character without being Khan himself. Would make sense based on what we know to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

Looks like Cumberbatch is probably playing an "augment", which is Enterprise terminology for one of Khan's genetically engineered supermen. If so, he's a Khan-like character without being Khan himself. Would make sense based on what we know to date.

Ties in with a rumour that I'm hearing a lot.
    That Noel Clarke's unnamed character is a member of the Soong family.

• Advertisement

Sarxos wrote: »
    Ties in with a rumour that I'm hearing a lot.
    That Noel Clarke's unnamed character is a member of the Soong family.
    So the same guy that designed Data and Lore?
    Interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Star Trek/Star Wars crossover in the next few years?

david75 wrote: »
    Star Trek/Star Wars crossover in the next few years?

Incredibly unlikely as it's two different studios and two different time-periods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure it has been done in a comic somewhere; if Dr. Who had a crossover comic with Star Trek (recently!), then I'm sure SW and ST had a little moment together :)

Sarxos wrote: »
    Incredibly unlikely as it's two different studios and two different time-periods.

and Galaxies.

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain having a Star Trek and Star War tie-in would completely alienate most of the fans of both franchises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Chris Evans plays the role of both Captain America & The Human Torch.

I heard they're doing the Cross-over movie and it's pretty much going to follow the Mrs Doubtfire storyline

I've updated the Star Trek Into Darkness preview page with 5 more images released today.

star_trek_into_darkness.png

From XKCD.

Paramount have released a cool new motion poster. Link. Make sure you have sound on.

They also released a first look featurette for the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Hope they don't blow their load with all these snipets.

Hope they don't blow their load with all these snipets.

Like ST3? :)

Hmmm upside down union flags are a bit insulting in the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
Advertisement