Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new jumper losing shape even before washing

Options
  • 05-01-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I bought a jumper on sale. It was half price and a "good brand". I have worn it 3 times and it is losing its shape along the bottom. I haven't even washed it. Already, I am starting to think it's soon going to be unwearable.

I only bought it LAST week.

Can I seek a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You'd have your work cut for you arguing the case- especially since most places will not refund (and some not even exchange) sale items. Ask for a manager,be polite, have your receipt, be prepared to try it on and demonstrate how it's losing it's shape. I would say you have a good chance of getting a credit note or exchange up to the value. Outright refund..probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I'd accept a credit note. after all, it was E45 and this was HALF price! I didn't pick up a E10 jumper and it is supposed to be a good brand so am quite p-d off. I'd have hoped to get more than a bloody week out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

If the garment is loosing shape after wearing it only 3 times, return to the store and explain to the manager. even if the item is on sale, you are still covered by your consumer rights..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

73trix wrote: »
    I'd accept a credit note...

You are free to take that as a remedy if you like, but your basic rights are a bit stronger than that.

Unless you have abused the jumper (which seems improbable) the retailer is obliged to give you one of the 3 Rs: repair, replacement, or refund. The fact that you purchased in a sale does not abrogate those rights unless you agreed to purchase the goods as substandard or inferior.

In your case, a repair is not a realistic option, so the retailer must either replace the goods or refund your money. If you accept a replacement and that proves unsatisfactory, then the retailer is obliged to refund your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

73trix wrote: »
    I bought a jumper on sale. It was half price and a "good brand". I have worn it 3 times and it is losing its shape along the bottom. I haven't even washed it. Already, I am starting to think it's soon going to be unwearable.

I only bought it LAST week.

Can I seek a refund?

Did you put on some extra weight over xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

especially since most places will not refund (and some not even exchange) sale items.

Thats is if you buy it and don't like it and are looking to return it when there is nothing wrong with it. Clothes shops often offer this 'facility' but withdraw it during sales periods as they are looking to shift stock and don't want it coming back.

If there is a problem, whether the item is on Sale or not, they have to repair, replace or refund.

I had a similar problem with a pair of jeans I bought in genius - wore them once and they ripped arse to crotch on the seams when I bent down to pick something up on the first day of wearing. They fit fine but there were obviously faulty. I went back and they offered a refund or credit note, no hassle whatsoever and I had bought them when they were on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Thanks everyone. E45 is too much for 3 wears! It is fit only for the dustbin. I am bringing it back. Will keep you posted. Credit note would be fine as it is a shop that I like and I would easily get something else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Maybe try washing it to see if it goes back into shape ?? BTW wash it before trying to return it :)

Just curious though, how many times do you wear things before washing?

viv2 wrote: »
    Maybe try washing it to see if it goes back into shape ?? BTW wash it before trying to return it :)...

I don't think that is a good idea. The retailer might suspect that problem was the result of how it was washed.

I don't think that is a good idea. The retailer might suspect that problem was the result of how it was washed.

As long as the washing instructions are followed it shouldnt be a problem. As somebody who has worked in customer service there is nothing worse than being handed back clothes that have been worn and not washed.
    I wouldnt expect anybody to have to handle dirty clothing.

• Advertisement

viv2 wrote: »
    ... As somebody who has worked in customer service there is nothing worse than being handed back clothes that have been worn and not washed....

A jumper that has been worn three times is not likely to be noisome unless OP has a serious hygiene problem.

A jumper that has been worn three times is not likely to be noisome unless OP has a serious hygiene problem.

Ive seen clothes thrown out and destroyed after they were tried on in the fitting room. Ive also heard of somebody that uses febreeze on his clothes instead of washing them. But thats a different subject............
    But Im not suggesting that the op had a problem just that its not nice to be expected to handle worn clothes.

OP have you brought it back yet?

Advertisement