Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.Net Website - Hosting Transfer Problem

Options
  • 05-01-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I own a website which was built in ASP.Net. I had the hosting managed with the original developers but decided to manage the hosting myself from now on.

I had the hosting transferred by another web developer who ultimately experienced some problems. He says that the source code of the website is incomplete and therefore cannot operate. The site has been down for about two weeks now and I am at the end of my tether.

The original developers sent me the website files and database (MySQL) but as I said, the guy transferring the hosting said that the source code is incomplete. When I try going on to the website, a landing page of the hosting provider shows up and just says that the domain is reserved.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Do you think it is the source code that is incomplete or do you think it could be something else?

I am losing a lot of business because the website is down so I need to get it back up asap.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

It is very hard to say without being able to actually see the files that you were given by the original developers.

Has the web developer who tried to transfer the site/code said specifically what is missing? i.e. is it a particular file, group of files/folders..

Once you decided to take ownership of the site I would assume that the original developers terminated the hosting on which your site was on. If what your new developer is saying is correct that the site's files are incomplete then you really need to get back on to the original developers and get the complete working live version with source code. Also, you need to find out specifics as what exactly is missing from the new developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

As Sean^DTC4 said above, it is hard to know anything without seeing the source code. Though at a guess, the old server may have had some mod_rewrite configuration (possibly rewriting urls so that they appear more understandable/search engine friendly) that has not been supplied. If the site is just pointing to a reserved/holding page, then the website is not active.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

cbireland wrote: »
    Hi All,

I own a website which was built in ASP.Net. I had the hosting managed with the original developers but decided to manage the hosting myself from now on.

I had the hosting transferred by another web developer who ultimately experienced some problems. He says that the source code of the website is incomplete and therefore cannot operate. The site has been down for about two weeks now and I am at the end of my tether.

The original developers sent me the website files and database (MySQL) but as I said, the guy transferring the hosting said that the source code is incomplete. When I try going on to the website, a landing page of the hosting provider shows up and just says that the domain is reserved.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Do you think it is the source code that is incomplete or do you think it could be something else?

I am losing a lot of business because the website is down so I need to get it back up asap.

Many thanks in advance.

The error you are getting means there is no site set up at your domain.

Your new developer is suggesting its because the site is incomplete. If that were so then you'd get an asp.net error page. First question if ask is how does he know that the site is incomplete.

Basically you need a set of instructions on how to install the site from your old developers to your new server.

Going forward you need to setup a dev/uat/qa server so you can proof any changes to your site and minimise downtime.

Advertisement