Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB 8MB Query x 2

Options
  • 05-01-2012 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Eircom people :)

Recently, line was upgraded to 8MB NGB (from 7MB Normal) - Speed is after getting slower since, especially in the evening times. I'm getting anywhere between 2.00Mb/s to 3.95Mb/s (via Speedtest.net) - Surely I should be getting faster speeds?

I'm using a Linksys Router connected to the old Netopia modem (which I have since around 2005/2006) - Is that the problem?

Anyways, look forward to some advice...Cheers
    Vic

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Upgrades down in the exchange can mean downgrades at home. If the lower speeds occur in the evening and at around 3km+ from the exchange that is probably caused by crosstalk.

Only those rather close to the exchange get guaranteed better speeds. The weather could also have been a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 victorbarry

Cheers. Weather never caused an issue before.

Any word from Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Recently, line was upgraded to 8MB NGB (from 7MB Normal) - Speed is after getting slower since, especially in the evening times. I'm getting anywhere between 2.00Mb/s to 3.95Mb/s (via Speedtest.net) - Surely I should be getting faster speeds?

I'm using a Linksys Router connected to the old Netopia modem (which I have since around 2005/2006) - Is that the problem?

Vic

Hi Vick,

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number so I can look into the broadband speeds you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

Vic

Hi Vic,

I got your PM with the details thanks. It may take a few days to investigate but I will get back to you later in the week.

Thanks, Mark

Any update Mark?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Any update Mark?
    Cheers

Hi Vic,

Sorry about the wait.

Given the distance your address is from the exchange - In terms of how the telephone lines are laid- (not direct line of sight)

Mwans our systems show the line shows a maximum speed capcity of 4 - 5MB.

I have tried to set the profile to the highest avialble.

Monitor it for a couple of days and get back to me.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, after noticing an increase straight away

Will keep an eye for the next few days. Hope it stays this way :)
    Many thanks
    Best
    Vic

Advertisement