Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Irish National work for UK Civil Service?

• 05-01-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of you have any idea on this?

Can an in Irish citizen work for the UK civil service such as the MetOffice etc.......

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes they can. Some areas are restricted to UK nationals but the vast majority are not. If there is a nationality requirement (often necessary for security clearances etc.) they'll be clearly stated in the advertising and/or recruitment pack for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

pow wow wrote: »
    Yes they can. Some areas are restricted to UK nationals but the vast majority are not. If there is a nationality requirement (often necessary for security clearances etc.) they'll be clearly stated in the advertising and/or recruitment pack for the role.

+ 1 , unless the job is with MI5 or MI6 then there should be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Delancey wrote: »
    + 1 , unless the job is with MI5 or MI6 then there should be no issue.

Actually, non-British citizens cannot work in the Ministry of Defence, Home Office or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. When I worked for the MoD, I had to prove British descent for three generations. Not sure if that's still the case, proving British descent for those departments, but I do know non-British citizens cannot work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Actually, non-British citizens cannot work in the Ministry of Defence, Home Office or the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. When I worked for the MoD, I had to prove British descent for three generations. Not sure if that's still the case, proving British descent for those departments, but I do know non-British citizens cannot work there.

Well , Foreign Office is Civil Service speak for MI6 and Home Office is the euphemism for MI5 :D
    I am surprised that the Home Office have a restriction when you consider that Irish people can join the Police / Prison Service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not sure if that's still the case, proving British descent for those departments, but I do know non-British citizens cannot work there.

It definitely is for MI5/MI6 that you and a parent must be British or have substantial ties to the UK (not sure what they use to determine that exactly). MI5 recruit in Belfast quite regularly as they have an office there. FCO is British nationals only and there are residency requirements for all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im sure we could all be prove British citizenship through grandparents in the north etc. But a lot of hassle.

Advertisement