Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are things improving??

Options
  • 05-01-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

how is your business doing today.....are things improving, stabilising or worsening?

for me the last 3 years have been difficult but the last 6 months of 2011 have seen signs of improvement.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

how is your business doing today.....are things improving, stabilising or worsening?

for me the last 3 years have been difficult but the last 6 months of 2011 have seen signs of improvement.....

Numbers on live register down slightly and an uplift in retail around Christmas - plus a definite air of people helping people and a more can-do attitude (e.g. RTE Local Heroes) - 2012 will be the year of being positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Yes, we reached the bottom on 2011, in my view,
    sadly lots of consumers in difficulties, but with no increase in wages taxation, those still with spending power will begin to spend.
    If you are surviving in business, stick with it, it may be only a small rising tide but it will lift our boats a little this year.

Best of luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Numbers of live register down slightly

hate when they say this.Its down because so many of our youth has gone.

I think 2012 will see things pick up a little compared to 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

100 people a day leaving this country approx according to the cso stats

Numbers down on the live register ??? I dont think so

People are just jumping ship with a hope to getting a better future somewhere else, i can name over 40 people from my home town left and gone to canada/oz .. with a probable hope not to return home :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

We need our own "Arab Spring".

The people need to get out and protest against austerity, the lack of jobs and the incompetence of the government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In my experiences, you are all wrong, we are still in decline.

But I pray you are right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I agree, I'm seeing a small bounce at the moment but I'd be /very/ surprised if it was a sign of short-term recovery and I think it's dangerous to make that assumption. Positivity is all well and good but a good dose of realism is needed to temper it.

Realism is telling me - screaming at me - that we haven't come even close to the bottom yet, and to prepare for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The best thing we could do is return to the punt, take the devaluation, take a massive haircuts on our private banking debts, not because we as a country can't pay them back, (which is what a default is), but because they are not our debts to pay so we repudiate them, and then start again without a rediculous debt burden and without being locked into a failing currency arrangement that simply is not working for us.

For as long as we are pursuing these utterly stupid and counter productive monetary policies, we will have consumer sentiment being depressed down further and further, causing less spending, which causes more job losses, more people on state welfare, more people needing rent supplement, more people needing medical cards, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would certainly be bearish about my own business sector, even expecting a drop in business of 10% from last year with potential redundancies a real threat.
    Actually surprised that some of my competitors are still standing they really must have all reserves depleted now.
    2012 will be tough. Fianna Fail should never be allowed forget what they did to this country.
    Find it hard to get angry at the current government, they really are lap dogs for Brussells.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Would a devalued punt not be terrible for businesses that don't export and also consumers disposable income decreases due to the inflation that comes as part of the deal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement