Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Scuba_Steve84

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haven't really been following this thread so maybe this was discussed but was in just me or were there 2 change management indicators yesterday? I ended up writing alot of the same points twice.

One of them was a very strange one, i.e how to staff the change management team? Was the other one to do with the closure of the health spa?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah how to staff it? Like wtf they only gave me 4 names and one of them was useless. ehhh Use the other 3 so. Then the communications about selling Mandalay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yeah how to staff it? Like wtf they only gave me 4 names and one of them was useless. ehhh Use the other 3 so. Then the communications about selling Mandalay

I know what a load ot bollocks! And then an IT one too, yes we have an IT manager who has commented on these IT systems, but we'd like the accountant to pick them instead. IT manager will then knock up some consolidated accounts just to mix things up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Haha

What was the HR one where they gave a procedure for hiring people in appendix 1? It all looked fine to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Szewinska wrote: »
    was joe malone yea. do you know his children fred and jenny?

Yeah very mature now but they just like to have their own wee zone looked after (can't even remember the wording!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Szewinska wrote: »
    was joe malone yea. do you know his children fred and jenny?
    Yeah very mature now but they just like to have their own wee zone looked after (can't even remember the wording!)

?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pinzas

Bit off topic here guys but Ferike1 that was surely you rocking the wifebeaters the past few days?!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Boom!

Guilty.

I even got a few pushups off upstairs to relax myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

When's that survey out? Did I miss that today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

When's that survey out? Did I miss that today?

Out tomorrow I think.

Paper was ok could have been worse. Hopefully I got it this time.

Time to forget about it until November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

ferike1 wrote: »
    Man I heard from a friend today that there were people crying in the audit section.

Seriously? Everyone I've spoken to about audit thought it was very decent and straightforward. Including me.

Yeah. Maybe you were in the smart section :D

How did people recognise me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

ferike1 wrote: »
    Yeah. Maybe you were in the smart section :D
    How did people recognise me!?

I didn't see you but I heard sounds from upstairs "987,989,990,991..."
    Impressive mate!
    A girl beside me left after an hour of audit.

LOL

I didn't see you but I heard sounds from upstairs "987,989,990,991..."
    Impressive mate!
    A girl beside me left after an hour of audit.

I don't get people doing that, especially at FAE when you have to wait a year to repeat! As a repeater i know how much it sucks to have it hanging over you. i'd def hang around and just waffle for 4.5 hours, you never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

daddydick wrote: »
    BESman wrote: »
    None of the lecturers, examiners or anyone in the Institute has actually qualified through this system. How do they expect us to? They can't teach it or mark it. Ridiculous.

That's the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard - they've spent 5 years putting the course together and believe you me, if you don't pass there is a reason, be it a lack of knowledge or a lack of ability to get your point across. They don't just fail you for no reason! On your view no exam should ever change structure without the creators having to pass it first?!?!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, nearly there!!!

The point you're making is redundant. Are you familiar with the Chartered Accounting system? If you were, you'd probably realise that the majority of our managers, partners, lecturers, and examiners qualified through the old Prof and FAE system. You would also probably realise that these exams had much higher pass rates and are admittedly regarded by lecturers as "easier" than our current system. I know this because lecturers at both CAP 2 level and FAE level told us specifically not to review the old papers as they were not of a high enough standard for our current syllabus. You might also realise that compensation was available under the old system. This meant that a lot of currently qualified accountants never passed certain subjects (like management accounting for example) but are now qualified accountants.

1. We now have a CAP 1, CAP 2 and FAE system with lower pass rates than the previous Prof II, Prof III and FAE system.

2. Most of our lecturers, examiners and partners qualified under the old "easier" system.

3. Those mentioned above have devised and now decide on who should progress through the new, more difficult system.

Is it fair that accountants who qualify under this new, more difficult system are on a level pegging (if not worse) than those who qualified under the old system?

Is it fair that those who qualified under the old system now decide who qualify under the new system when neither they or any of their peers have qualified under the new system?

Is it a coincidence that the Institute decides to change the system in 2009/2010, around the same time that the recession begins to take effect in Ireland and results in an undesirable situation of increased newly qualified but unemployed Chartered Accountants? Also, the ACCA has attracted praise and increased student numbers in recent years for it's exam system. Is the Institute trying to maintain its exclusivity and elitist reputation by lowering pass rates?

Considering your lack of input to date on these threads and your smug "best of luck to everyone" remark, I would hazard a guess that you have passed under this system and fair dues to you. It does not however make my comment any less ridiculous. If you are not a current student and have no advice to offer, why are you even bothering commenting on this thread? Chip on shoulder syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

I've been up all night with the stress of these exams I totally ****ed up on my elective yesterday! I also certain I failed BL! All my life I have been crap at writing bull**** like strategy/marketing etc, this is why I chose to become an accountant because I was good at NUMBERS!! I do understand that you must be good at professional writing but not fecking change management ****! If I fail my ACCOUNTANCY finals because of marketing or HR I'll hit the roof! Surely being good at tax is more important than HR/marketing? I know clients in work always think to go to a chartered accountant when they need advice on HR..yeah right

It's all a fix anyway they just fix the pass rate everyone knows it and the institute knows it! Senior members of the education department have been fired ("left on mutual terms") in tge past for vocing their concerns over the fixing that goes on!! It's a ****ed up system and it's so true unless the big four decide to get involved and put pressure on them nothing will change!

BESman wrote: »
    The point you're making is redundant. Are you familiar with the Chartered Accounting system? If you were, you'd probably realise that the majority of our managers, partners, lecturers, and examiners qualified through the old Prof and FAE system. You would also probably realise that these exams had much higher pass rates and are admittedly regarded by lecturers as "easier" than our current system. I know this because lecturers at both CAP 2 level and FAE level told us specifically not to review the old papers as they were not of a high enough standard for our current syllabus. You might also realise that compensation was available under the old system. This meant that a lot of currently qualified accountants never passed certain subjects (like management accounting for example) but are now qualified accountants.

1. We now have a CAP 1, CAP 2 and FAE system with lower pass rates than the previous Prof II, Prof III and FAE system.

2. Most of our lecturers, examiners and partners qualified under the old "easier" system.

3. Those mentioned above have devised and now decide on who should progress through the new, more difficult system.

Is it fair that accountants who qualify under this new, more difficult system are on a level pegging (if not worse) than those who qualified under the old system?

Is it fair that those who qualified under the old system now decide who qualify under the new system when neither they or any of their peers have qualified under the new system?

Is it a coincidence that the Institute decides to change the system in 2009/2010, around the same time that the recession begins to take effect in Ireland and results in an undesirable situation of increased newly qualified but unemployed Chartered Accountants? Also, the ACCA has attracted praise and increased student numbers in recent years for it's exam system. Is the Institute trying to maintain its exclusivity and elitist reputation by lowering pass rates?

Considering your lack of input to date on these threads and your smug "best of luck to everyone" remark, I would hazard a guess that you have passed under this system and fair dues to you. It does not however make my comment any less ridiculous. If you are not a current student and have no advice to offer, why are you even bothering commenting on this thread? Chip on shoulder syndrome?

Fairplay.

Survey is out people. Please take the time to complete it and get stuck into them. be as specific as possible, or failing that just go to town on the length of the Comprehensive paper.

• Advertisement

Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Emailed out this morning

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FAE2012

We can complain but it won't make a difference to us though will it?

Anytime I have seen CASSI reports the institute always have some smart alec answer.

That being said. I did fill it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 haribo12

When does the cassi report have to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

haribo12 wrote: »
    When does the cassi report have to be in

We have to have Survey filled out by Monday and it is due into the Institute in Report form by middle of the week.

They read the report and take it into consideration with marking scheme.

I think I know what annoys me most when I read the reports done by the FAE boards.

Its the matter of fact arrogance they ooze.

Students were expected to do this and it was soooo totally obvious....its not our fault they are stoopid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Elvis2012

Can someone please list all the BL indicators over the two Core days. And if you could give an idea of whats points should have been covered. Very worried about BL. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Yeah it does seem futile but all we can do is give the feedback and hope for the best - I detected some adjustments made in the last two board reports for some indicators however, so you never know. The lack of repeats is a continued farce. As is the lack of a break in the midst of 4.5hr exams.

• Advertisement

Lack of repeats is the worst.

Advertisement