Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Taking their time!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That report seems to touch all the concerns I had. Hopefully the ICAI take some notice

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

FINALLY!

I was hoping they'd put in a stronger recommendation for us being given credit for justified answers. But it certainly fits the complaints I've heard on this board!

Yup pretty accurate consensus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

85% sure I've failed now that I've read that. I think it's fair to say I am fooked.

Why so certain??? Missed indicators?

Gotta stay positive man.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

I just feel that I was weak in a few areas and I totally flapped on the change management stuff and my answer is going to kill me. Ah well. At least I know for sure I failed APM - totally mangled that paper!!

:(

Well hopefully after reading that the paper will be marked easier. 75% of people passed core last year. That is my ray of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shery

Not that I have blind faith in the rest but tax indicators are scaring the crap out of me. I completely missed revenue audit one in sim 3 and did not do much calculations for sim 2 tax indicator. Mentioned pros and cons of both approaches (shares vs asset sale), suggested application of participation exemption, touched on Stamp duty etc but without much calculation or anything. I would need a miracle would I or even miracle wont save me?! :o:(

• Advertisement

shery wrote: »
    Not that I have blind faith in the rest but tax indicators are scaring the crap out of me. I completely missed revenue audit one in sim 3 and did not do much calculations for sim 2 tax indicator. Mentioned pros and cons of both approaches (shares vs asset sale), suggested application of participation exemption, touched on Stamp duty etc but without much calculation or anything. I would need a miracle would I or even miracle wont save me?! :o:(

If there's only 2 tax indicators, and for one of them you got an RC, then you pass the breadth test. Based on your description it sounds like you would definitely have got an RC in the share vs. assets one.

There is very little scope for error then! In the whole paper there seemed to be 2 finance and 2 tax indicators! One RC in each...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shery

You mean one RC across each of these two areas or an RC in each of the 4 indicators?

They say feck-all. Last year was much more comprehensive.
    I wish there was a way to directly contact them and say that re more case studies, we DON'T need more Core, we DO need more Elective case studies. Nobody I know finished all the case studies!

Interesting comment re the controversial specified Irish assets thing though.

http://www.cassi.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/2012-CAI-Response-to-CASSI-FAE-Report.pdf

ALSO a feeling of ultimate horror...

CAI said that customer profitability analysis had been included on the mock. Do they mean that the CPA in the exam was supposed to be answered using contribution per limiting factor? Cause if so I think many of us are screwed.

They always have some generic response.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

ALSO a feeling of ultimate horror...

CAI said that customer profitability analysis had been included on the mock. Do they mean that the CPA in the exam was supposed to be answered using contribution per limiting factor? Cause if so I think many of us are screwed.

I think most people took the contribution per unit and analysed anyways so if this is the case I think most people will be fine in this indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

sorry i didnt respond. i am on the cassi regional committee for my area and saw a report so thought all had it.

every now and then i remember these results are coming and it hits like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

do we still need to do ACE? I didnt think we did but when I click on admission to membership (just looking!!), it asks what date you passed it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was scrapped last year. This years FAE students didn't have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

Quick question..

Have many people signed up to ACCA?

No money!

Thinking of just bitting the bullet and registering!!

I wonder are they more do able though?!

1 Million % yes

Yeah the exam papesr do seem somewhat more normal alright!!

Think I only have 4/5 to do so not so bad I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I wonder how difficult it would be to readjust to non open book again though? Even thinking about having to study for more exams is enough to make me nauseous

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Would I be correct in saying it would cost the guts of €900 to €1000 between paying for membership, exemptions and other fees before registering for exams and buying any materials?

Still probably worth it to never have to deal with FAE again!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

EMAIL RESPONSE I GOT FROM SEAN MURRAY ON AUDIT ELECTIVE SIM 1

Thank you for your recent e-mail in relation to Sim 1 in the recent FAE Audit Elective examination. Your query relates to whether the appropriate response to the question was the utilisation of ISRS 4400. Yours is not the first query I have received in that particular respect and I set out my views below:-

1. Paragraph 3 of the Sim states “… that she requires engagements such as this to be structured as agreed upon procedures engagements in accordance with International Standards on Related Services (ISRS 4400) …”.

2. Arising from 1. above, it is understood that it is the firm’s policy to handle engagements of this nature as AUP engagements.

3. Accordingly, the orthodox response to the question is to deal with the engagement as an AUP engagement, utilising ISRS 4400.

4. However, paragraph 2 indicates that the client (Happy Holidays) “… have been seeking assurances regarding the financial stability of the company and its service providers”. This may imply that the client wants some type of “assurance” engagement as distinct from an AUP engagement.

5. The possibility referred to in 4. above may be further encouraged by the commentary contained in paragraph 4 of the Sim which, inter alia, asks for:-

· Your consideration and views on whether or not the firm should accept the engagement.

· The content of any engagement letter which may be required.

· Any comments you have on the nature/requirements of the report forwarded by John.

· Including an alternative draft report if you deem the existing one unsuitable.

6. Arising from 5. above (and in the absence of Siobhan O’Kane (Partner)), it is not unreasonable that you, in your capacity as audit manager, might decide to structure it as an assurance engagement. In such circumstances, the appropriate authority would be ISAE 3300 and, in the circumstances described, would almost certainly be a “limited assurance” engagement.

Arising from 4 to 6 above, provided you set out your consideration of the fact that you felt an assurance engagement was required and/or more appropriate in the circumstances (as contrasted to an AUP engagement) and proceeded to deal with the issues in the Sim on that basis, I would consider such approach to be acceptable.

7. An acceptable approach drafted on the basis of it being a “limited assurance” engagement would be expected to deal with the indicators as follows:-

· Primary indicator no. 1 – engagement acceptance
    The issues arising here would be no different in an assurance engagement as compared to an AUP engagement.

· Primary indicator no. 2 – form and content of the required engagement letter
    The form and content of the required engagement letter would be in line with the content of paragraphs 10 and 11 of ISAE 3000 (which in the themselves are not particularly informative); consequently, the content of the letter would also require one to draw from the matters set out in paragraphs 12 to 40. In this context, it would sufficient for a student to make summary comment in relation to the subject matter (para. 18), suitability of criteria (paras. 19/20), materiality (paras. 22/23), experts (paras. 26/32), evidence (paras. 35/36) and representations (paras. 38/40).

· Primary indicator no. 3 – nature/requirements of the report
    This information would draw on paragraph 49 of ISAE 3000.

· Primary indicator no. 4 – matters to be ascertained through discussions with the client in advance of fieldwork
    This would involve consideration of issues such as:

- Does the Holiday Industry Association have specific criteria that they wish to be used?

- Does the Holiday Industry Association have a materiality threshold when analysing the split between the different levels of turnover?

- How does a client analyse the data to provide the information required by Holiday Industry Association?

- To what extent has an analysis of categories of turnover been done in the audit work that has been completed?

- Did any issues arise during the recently completed audit that casts doubt on the veracity of the figures or the controls in place in relation to the recording of turnover?

- Has adequate time/fee levels been determined for the likely time input required to complete the assignment?

I have had an opportunity with the FAE Board and have related by views to the Board as outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

kitten_k wrote: »

Read it. Pile of crap.

Just fu<k right off, Institute. Just fu<k right off.

Advertisement