Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

I'm the same, def don't have enuff technical knowledge 2 just go straight at the case studies.
    Just aft lookin at the 2010 core comp paper, while it is easier enuff 2 identity indicators, answerin them is a totally diff thing! Read the solution - no way I wud have got even a quarter if the stuff that needed 2 b covered! I honestly don't kno how 2 prepare 4 these exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

I have taken a mix approach.

I am diving in to the cases for 2010/2011 just develop some technique - there is alot of stuff that one needs to pick on in terms of technique which the technical material will not give you. Plus alot of the stuff in these cases is generic or of basic level and we have the knowledge to address it - where it gets technical one knows straight way what items to focus on. I think its important to have a balanced approach - you dont want to be in a position in Aug where you are freaking out how to tackle the casestudies :eek:

Technical material i feel will develop gradually with application and studying on the side - i loose focus just studying a subject on its own with not that much application

However - one needs to put alot of effort in AUDIT, PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT and TAX. Business leadership is important but majority will get polished through cases i feel!

Keen to know thoughts of others !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I did two cases today and actually got competent R/C in quite a few indicators. Chuffed :D

On a side note, my audit indicator went horribly and needed to give less generic responses on marketing however it does seem that there are some answers that could be considered valid but aren't on the list of accepted answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Ethics: the only solutions i have for the questions in the books are Party games, just sign on the dotted line, food for thought, kilaney ltd, shane nolan and Hugh mcmahon..... does anyone know if there are any more available??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Ethics: the only solutions i have for the questions in the books are Party games, just sign on the dotted line, food for thought, kilaney ltd, shane nolan and Hugh mcmahon..... does anyone know if there are any more available??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

chursy wrote: »
    I have taken a mix approach.

I am diving in to the cases for 2010/2011 just develop some technique - there is alot of stuff that one needs to pick on in terms of technique which the technical material will not give you. Plus alot of the stuff in these cases is generic or of basic level and we have the knowledge to address it - where it gets technical one knows straight way what items to focus on. I think its important to have a balanced approach - you dont want to be in a position in Aug where you are freaking out how to tackle the casestudies :eek:

Technical material i feel will develop gradually with application and studying on the side - i loose focus just studying a subject on its own with not that much application

However - one needs to put alot of effort in AUDIT, PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT and TAX. Business leadership is important but majority will get polished through cases i feel!

Keen to know thoughts of others !

Think that's a good approach, I'll be looking to get to grips with the technical parts of PM, audit and tax, should be able to get fairly familiar with the BL material just by doing the cases.

Are people spending much time looking at the calculation type questions in mgmt accounting; costing, variance analysis etc? Doesn't seem to be many of these in the case studies I'm looking at and in the prior years exams.

aca101 wrote: »
    Think that's a good approach, I'll be looking to get to grips with the technical parts of PM, audit and tax, should be able to get fairly familiar with the BL material just by doing the cases.

Are people spending much time looking at the calculation type questions in mgmt accounting; costing, variance analysis etc? Doesn't seem to be many of these in the case studies I'm looking at and in the prior years exams.

yes couldnt agree more.

management account has heavy focus this year - i will be spending sometime on it getting in grips with whats covered in the lectures at core - new 2012 cases has heavy focus on mgt accounting havent tried solving these myself so cant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

chursy wrote: »
    yes couldnt agree more.

management account has heavy focus this year - i will be spending sometime on it getting in grips with whats covered in the lectures at core - new 2012 cases has heavy focus on mgt accounting havent tried solving these myself so cant comment.

Management accounting is the bane of my existence. The thought of variance analysis makes me wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Hi,

I'm looking for tax elective solution for 2010 and the mock question and solution for 2010 for Advance Tax. I keep getting a board report up when I check the website. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction as to where I might find these.

I presume repeat students are allowed to sit the mocks as well? Haven't heard anything from the institute so I'm wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

louise1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me locate an excel spreadsheet which had a list of case studies and the topics that related to that case study, I printed it off one of the FAE discussions on boards as far as I know but cant seem to relocate it :confused: Thanks

Hi is this what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I presume repeat students are allowed to sit the mocks as well? Haven't heard anything from the institute so I'm wondering.

I am not sure, you may be best contacting them to check.

Hi,

I'm looking for tax elective solution for 2010 and the mock question and solution for 2010 for Advance Tax. I keep getting a board report up when I check the website. Could someone maybe point me in the right direction as to where I might find these.

The tax elective solution for the 2010 should be included in the 2010 fae board report up on the website. Not sure about the mock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I think you have to be enrolled for the revision course in order to sit mocks. Its not included in the actual exam fee that we paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FAE4EVA

Hi guys,

I'm repeating from last year and was wondering if there is much update to syllabus and cases. Don't really know where is the best place to start with finding out about updates. I heard Management Accounting seems to be flavour of the month this time??

Also tax has been updated??

Any help would be appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Has anyone identified a way to establish how many valid/specific "answers" for an indicator you should go for?

I think around 7 seems to be a good ball park figure. Then if one or two of them aren't great, the rest might keep you at competent. Hard to know.

Any body has notes for grinds for fae core and audit from last year? Anyone planning to attend these this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

Is anyone else having bother opening the 2010 mock papers? The only one that will open for me is the Sims paper - nothing else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Guys

Just looking back at a past paper with 8 indicators given in the solution. I found 6 and the other 2 I had not dealt with as separate issues, but rather had "worked" them into my other answers. How would this be marked? Would I still get full credit for this?

In other cases I've split one indicator up into 2/3 headings.

Does any of this matter? As long as it's in your answer surely that would be ok?

Thanks.

I have the slides to go with Ronan O'Loughlin's online session "Tips to support competence" if anyone's interested. Can't upload them as this site doesn't support powerpoint slides, so if you think you need them drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll send them on.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Haven't yet viewed Gerry Gallagher's strategy lectures online, session 4/5 & session 7/8 are available and they think they cover nearly everything. Are they worth looking at or would you be better off going through the notes yourself and saving time? 11 hours viewing in total!

Not bothering doing anything in particular for the mocks as only finished work last Friday and don't see the point in trying to skim through everything and then having to go through them all again anyway.

Anyone know when we get the mock results?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Chalk_Farm

Anyone know are the solutions to the 2010 and 2011 papers available anywhere...cant seem to find them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mr Grind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

RT2010 wrote: »
    Haven't yet viewed Gerry Gallagher's strategy lectures online, session 4/5 & session 7/8 are available and they think they cover nearly everything. Are they worth looking at or would you be better off going through the notes yourself and saving time? 11 hours viewing in total!

Not bothering doing anything in particular for the mocks as only finished work last Friday and don't see the point in trying to skim through everything and then having to go through them all again anyway.

I wouldn't bother looking back over lectures at this stage, particularly for the less technical areas like strategy.

For the mocks, I'm just planning to read the case, try identify as many indicators as I can and do out a rough answer as concisely as possible in whatever format is required. Basically, a scaled down version of what I'd be looking to do in the real exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

What are people planning to bring into the exam tomorrow?? I have so much stuff that I'm unsure of what to bring??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

I can imagine a lot of people will have suitcases with them tomorrow!

I'm bringing one folder with any notes I have covered so far, the apb book, the financial reporting standards book and the tax book.

Don't see the point in bringing in all my notes considering I haven't looked at most of them yet! I'm prepared to not be able to attempt this paper, if something comes up that I've covered, happy days. If not, I'm not going to go through notes to try and come up with an answer!

I don't see myself lasting more than two hours, I reckon the time would be better spent going home and doing my own study but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

What are people planning to bring into the exam tomorrow?? I have so much stuff that I'm unsure of what to bring??

I have two folders with any slides etc we would have got for each subject and have them marked with stickers and an ndex at the front of each subject so that should I need t look a them it will save time. I'm going to bring the auditing and financial standards books and that's it. Generally I try not t use my books etc so I imagine that will probably be the extent of what I will be bringing in September as well. No point in overloading with books etc as it can be very time consuming trying to look through it all.
    For the mocks I'm just hoping to pick out the indicators and try and give them a go. I know I won't pass the mocks so not going to get too worried over them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Hi Folks

How did you get on? Tough going and a much needed kick up the you know what...

I'll stick my head above the parapet - These are the indicators I went with:

- HR / Tax - Ways to attract / keep staff. I accept that this may not be an indicator.

- Look Back system - Should it be replaced?

- Switch to cloud computing - Pros and cons.

- Financial reporting treatment of revenue / disclosures.

- Offer of venture capital

- Offer from bank

- Take Look Back stuff in house

- Ethical issues re dodgy auditor

- Assess car dealer proposal

There may be some duplication above and the HR one mightn't exist at all. Be interested to hear other people's perspectives...Probably another FR one too re yer man's pontificating about not invoicing people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Hi Folks

How did you get on? Tough going and a much needed kick up the you know what...

I'll stick my head above the parapet - These are the indicators I went with:

- HR / Tax - Ways to attract / keep staff. I accept that this may not be an indicator.

- Look Back system - Should it be replaced?

- Switch to cloud computing - Pros and cons.

- Financial reporting treatment of revenue / disclosures.

- Offer of venture capital

- Offer from bank

- Take Look Back stuff in house

- Ethical issues re dodgy auditor

- Assess car dealer proposal

There may be some duplication above and the HR one mightn't exist at all. Be interested to hear other people's perspectives...Probably another FR one too re yer man's pontificating about not invoicing people.

what did you do for financial reporting treatment of revenue / disclosures I took it more as performance management issue since I was financial controller. I worked out the gross margins and compared them across jobs and clients and told him about value creation. I would like to know what you done ? for my own awareness

Advertisement