Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    I reckon you're right

I think the Standard for getting the C to pass sufficiency test its around 6 for BL and PM - which is high! or could be 5 - assuming the 50% pass rate - I am assuming obviously that there will be 10 indicators in BL and PM. its certainly not 4.

60% i think should be aimed for! n specially if you get a couple of adjustments from the Reporting which are too randome!! could be in for a surprise in November!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FAE4EVA

Hi Guys,

Been trying to see what cases and solutions I have. The only ones I don't seem to have solutions for are Bill Williams, Uniforms R Us and McMahon.

Does anyone else have these? :confused:

FAE4EVA wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Been trying to see what cases and solutions I have. The only ones I don't seem to have solutions for are Bill Williams, Uniforms R Us and McMahon.

Does anyone else have these? :confused:

Can someone please upload the most upto date case list for 2012 I kinda lost track with the institute uploading cases here n there.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

any tips for the fae ? i am fairly f***** the mocks were a disaster no study plan so much to do find it hard to sleep at night and get up mid afternoon and do a bit its a surprise everyday !

i also do not understand how they correct them or how it is marked !

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Anyone know the ETA on when we are getting the mock results and feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Sometime August

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

ferike1 wrote: »
    Sometime August

I thought that we were getting them next week (i.e. that Paul Monahan and his band of merry men hammered away at the correcting for 10 days)?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

mrduffy wrote: »
    any tips for the fae ? i am fairly f***** the mocks were a disaster no study plan so much to do find it hard to sleep at night and get up mid afternoon and do a bit its a surprise everyday !

i also do not understand how they correct them or how it is marked !

I passed well last year, but only got off for study leave around this time, I was very much in the same boat as yourself!

I didn't do the mocks, mainly because I was s*****g myself, but then I watched the marking lecture online, and spent the next week planning & organising, and I was much better for it.

Try stay calm as much as you can, stay off the coffee/drink as much as possible becuase it doesn't help trhe anxiety, if you're in this state now you'll be in a bad way come the end of August!

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Just wondering when are the other mock reviews on in the next couple of weeks?

Paul Monahan is doing the Limerick one on Monday but cant make that due to CGS Tax course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 siobhan4460

Just wondering when are the other mock reviews on in the next couple of weeks?

Paul Monahan is doing the Limerick one on Monday but cant make that due to CGS Tax course.

galway 13th july pillo hotel

• Advertisement

Has anyone done the Mechelec LTD case in the resource pack. The solution is bugging me.

Free Cash flow:

EBIT(1-Tax Rate) + Depreciation & Amortization - Change in Net Working Capital - Capital Expenditure

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/freecashflow.asp#ixzz208BFsjXw

So in the answer they are taking away depreciation from EBITDA as capital expenditure. WTF??
    They are also adding back interest.
    Confused!

Colts wrote: »
    I passed well last year, but only got off for study leave around this time, I was very much in the same boat as yourself!

I didn't do the mocks, mainly because I was s*****g myself, but then I watched the marking lecture online, and spent the next week planning & organising, and I was much better for it.

Try stay calm as much as you can, stay off the coffee/drink as much as possible becuase it doesn't help trhe anxiety, if you're in this state now you'll be in a bad way come the end of August!

Best of luck :)

What should I concentrate on notes and case studies notes or fae case studies and past papers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cathy102

just wondering if anyone has a copy of the solution for 2012 cases Bill Williams and UniformsRUs? and the questions for 2011 cases Ply4hire, Precision Cut and Firesec? would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FAE4EVA

Hi Cathy,

I found Firesec case but don't seem to have the others.. See attached!

No one has done Mechelec??:(:(:(:(

I know I rant a good bit but need somewhere to get stuff off my chest! :D

Was doing another case and its so tough to know how much the institute wants to get to get C.

Sometimes its Explain X or X, sometimes its explain X and X and X and 7 points. Sometimes its 2,3,4 whatever they fancy. Great if there was some consistency.

At this stage I am getting the hang of tying stuff back to the case and picking out the indicators but knowing how much to write, not so much. Even with practice it varies so much that its like rolling a dice and hoping you get the right number

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cathy102

Thanks a mill for that.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LoveTheAudit

Does anyone know if there is annotated student solutions on the 2011, I know we got one last year for 2010 - basically shows two actual student papers, one which passed and one which did not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LoveTheAudit

Last year one if it helps anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

How do you guys use appendices etc in reports as part of your answers?
    Must we use them or would it just be okay to show the calcs in the body of they report?
    Is this fundemendally wrong?

Also its quite difficult to work these appendices into your answer from a practical perspective eg. leaving space in the book or how exactly to do it etc.

i done beara beara cheese today is it okay to do case studies in notes or should i be doing case studies ?

• Advertisement

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    How do you guys use appendices etc in reports as part of your answers?
    Must we use them or would it just be okay to show the calcs in the body of they report?
    Is this fundemendally wrong?

Also its quite difficult to work these appendices into your answer from a practical perspective eg. leaving space in the book or how exactly to do it etc.

I put appendix in computional side of book for mocks. I think presentation is talked up a lot in these exams i am sure if they see you know your stuff you will be competent. Microsoft word solves that in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    I reckon you're right vis a vis the sufficiency test...

Hey

To pass the depth test, we were told you only needed 1C in each BL and PM.
    For the sufficiency test you need one RC in each of the other four subjects.
    But you need to get more than that to pass the sufficiency test.

Here, after sitting those mocks, it's a bit scary. I saw these grinds on gum tree for the person who came second last year and they are giving them in exam technique. I'm worried about missin indicators, time management and how much detail you have to give! Does anyone know what they are offering?

I'm not paying €200 for grinds school and Paul monaghan may think he's great at cases but he's no help!!!!

Adjudication of FAE Scripts
    The FAE Board sets the adjudication criteria for each examination. The criteria are based on many factors, including: the number of indicators, length of the paper, level of data to be analysed, complexity of response(s) expected etc.
    For FAE Core, the adjudication takes place at three levels:
    Sufficiency: Candidates who demonstrated sufficient aggregate competence at Level 1 – Sufficiency are awarded a “pass” at this level.
    This is measured by allocating a value to each “Reaching Competence” attained by the candidate, and a higher value to “Competent” and “Highly Competent”.
    Candidates are required to meet the appropriate sufficiency level as set by the FAEB.
    Depth Candidates who pass Level 2 – Depth are required to demonstrate that they can achieve “depth” in each of Business Leadership and Performance Measurement.
    This is measured by checking that candidates achieve “Competent” or higher the required number of times across the primary indicators in each of Business Leadership and Performance Measurement.
    Breadth Candidates who pass Level 3 – Breadth are required to demonstrate they can achieve breadth in the remaining areas of the “Super Six”.
    This is measured by checking that candidates achieve “Reaching Competence” or higher the required number of times across the primary indicators in each of Audit, Tax, Finance and Information Management.
    For FAE Elective, the adjudication is at Level 1 – Sufficiency only, as “Depth” and “Breadth” are functions of the integrated nature of FAE Core (and therefore do not apply in FAE Elective).
    The FAE Board sets its adjudication criteria at the time of finalising the papers. It revisits these criteria once live marking has commenced, to consider whether any issues have arisen which might impact on the criteria. The adjudication criteria are reconfirmed at the adjudication stage.

From that it seems you need more than one C in BL and PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Just focus on finding the indicators and managing your time particulary for the Sims. Never mind all this tripe talk about how they mark the papers, that's out of our hands. Find the indicator, do your best at answering it and move on to the next indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Just focus on finding the indicators and managing your time particulary for the Sims. Never mind all this tripe talk about how they mark the papers, that's out of our hands. Find the indicator, do your best at answering it and move on to the next indicator.[/Quote

Couldn't agree more supernova! Anyone doing tax elective?? Can ye please upload the cases /questions that ye were given this year. im repeating and have no access to same!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mavic09

I haven't started into the tax yet but my understanding is that all the cases are in the toolkit. The only cases/ questions put up online were these ones on VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

mrduffy wrote: »
    What should I concentrate on notes and case studies notes or fae case studies and past papers ?

Each to their own in regards of approach I suppose, but I felt like I didn't have enough of a rounded knowledge to be able to jump straight in and start doing case studies straight away. I rarely attended lectures and was on my own doing the exams from a small firm. So I spent my first few weeks looking over the different modules; notes, the more useful books & quick case studies, ie. 3 days for Finance, Tax etc and 5/6 days for PM & BL etc. I honestly think it helped, I was still a nervous wreck but I felt more confident then by the time I started doing the case studies and past papers about 3-4 weeks before the exams (2/3 large cases a day/ 1 paper max until the panic stage!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Having gathered all the cases that I can from the Institute's website and from the good people who have posted some up on here I seem to be missing the following and am hoping that someone might have them and could upload them for me if possible, thanks!

Cases:
    - Daviddogood
    - Firesec
    - Flexum
    - Ply4hire
    - PrecisionCut

Solutions:
    - Bill Williams
    - UniformsRUs

God the institute do my head in. There are several cases listed in the contents page of my resource pack but aren't actually in the resource pack!

I don't have the solutions for Bill Williams or UniformRUs but here are the questions you were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

For anybody looking for notes / cases it is a good idea to look at the attachment on last years FAE thread as some very useful things were posted. I have bumped the thread so it is on the first page.

Without clicking into the thread, click on the paperclip icon beside it on the main page and this will bring you to a list of all the attachments.

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    I don't have the solutions for Bill Williams or UniformRUs but here are the questions you were looking for.

SOLUTION for uniforms4us attached below

Advertisement