Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Ciara471 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I posted up all the cases I have a few pages ago so if anyone needs any of them let me know. The ones I'm missing are:

Questions for:
    Building Fixes
    Byrne Ltd
    Datatech
    Dodgy Construction
    GEMs
    Globaltech
    Irish Italien Food Partnerships
    O'Reilly Mortgages
    St. Bernards
    Surf Shop
    Victoria
    You Look Fantastic

Solutions for:

Bill Williams
    Marlborough House
    Tekron

Anyone who helps will get enough good karma that they'll pass their exams :)

Those questions are in the resource pack, might be easier to ask someone you know who did it before and get the resource pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

Ciara471 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I posted up all the cases I have a few pages ago so if anyone needs any of them let me know. The ones I'm missing are:

Questions for:
    Building Fixes
    Byrne Ltd
    Datatech
    Dodgy Construction
    GEMs
    Globaltech
    Irish Italien Food Partnerships
    O'Reilly Mortgages
    St. Bernards
    Surf Shop
    Victoria
    You Look Fantastic

Solutions for:

Bill Williams
    Marlborough House
    Tekron

Anyone who helps will get enough good karma that they'll pass their exams :)

I only have the case study questions on soft copy.

I'm also looking for solutions to Marlborough House and Tekron.

I attach Bill Williams solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

Hi Folks

Hopefully somebody here may have had a look at this question.

Its case 44 in the management and finance book. Was part of the induction finance day.

I decided look through this today and hit a wall. The finance element of the calculations appear very difficult and I was wondering is there much point in me trying work through this as I was struggling understand it. For example in the payback period calculation where do the capital allowance figures of 32k and 12k come from. Its most unlikely this would be asked on an fae core paper would you think?

Also regards the ABC question, in the solution for the life of me I cannot see where they get the figures from. eg 55,000 hours to get overall absorption rate and also the amount of set ups etc for splitting up the overheads.

If anybody has looked at this question, some advise or thoughts of those would be most welcome as I was hitting a wall on this today and got frustrated with it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Contribution per limiting factor for the Core ICDI.

Did not get that at all! Didn't even think about using it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

ferike1 wrote: »
    Contribution per limiting factor for the Core ICDI.

Did not get that at all! Didn't even think about using it :(

same here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

Does anyone know what the story is with EIIS in tax core?? It wasn't covered but is on the competency statement, so presume if before 25 November 2011, then use BES and old seed capital relief, and then is it just EIIS and seed capital scheme from 25 November 2011, or does BES still exist for new investors?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faer2203

Szewinska wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Hopefully somebody here may have had a look at this question.

Its case 44 in the management and finance book. Was part of the induction finance day.

I decided look through this today and hit a wall. The finance element of the calculations appear very difficult and I was wondering is there much point in me trying work through this as I was struggling understand it. For example in the payback period calculation where do the capital allowance figures of 32k and 12k come from. Its most unlikely this would be asked on an fae core paper would you think?

Also regards the ABC question, in the solution for the life of me I cannot see where they get the figures from. eg 55,000 hours to get overall absorption rate and also the amount of set ups etc for splitting up the overheads.

If anybody has looked at this question, some advise or thoughts of those would be most welcome as I was hitting a wall on this today and got frustrated with it.

Cheers.

For the CA's the 32k is 400k*20% => 80k *40% tax => 32k
    I think the 12k is 50k * 40% => 20k (outflow as we receive 50k residual value) - original 32k => 12k
    Could be wrong on this one tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 06431755l

Does anyone know what the story is with EIIS in tax core?? It wasn't covered but is on the competency statement, so presume if before 25 November 2011, then use BES and old seed capital relief, and then is it just EIIS and seed capital scheme from 25 November 2011, or does BES still exist for new investors?? :/

This is what went up on the website about EIIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

When do you guys classify a report or briefing paper as Confidential?
    I never get specifically when its applicable. To me it seems applicable 99 percent of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

i am doing individual sujects should i just do cases need some advice purewreck at this stage from stress and panic and not much sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    When do you guys classify a report or briefing paper as Confidential?
    I never get specifically when its applicable. To me it seems applicable 99 percent of the time.

Yeah - it's not always 100% clear. If you have any doubt that your work shouldn't be seen by anyone other than the recipient then just stick it on I'd say.

Unng,

Going through the mock solutions wasn't a fantastic idea. Did worse than I thought. I approached certain indicators in different fashion to how the solutions were but I still thought were perfectly legitimate.

Example

For the business plan executive summary I prepared a proper one along the lines of what I learned in College:
    Mission Statement
    XXXX
    Company Info:
    XXXX
    Growth Highlights:
    XXX
    Products/Services:
    XXXX
    Financial Info:
    XXXX
    Future Plans:
    XXXX

Wrote a short bit on each but in the solution they just wanted strengths and opportunities. This subjectivity is killing me. The institute seem to want a specific approach and you basically get NA or INCOMPETANT if you don't think like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Lads,
    Just a question there in relation to practicing case studies.
    After doing a case study, and on review of the solution are people, re-writing their solution, synopsing the suggested solution in point format or just reading the suggested solution. At the moment, I am just reading it, but don't think thats good enough.

I take out important points that could be applicable in many cases = e.g stuff like consider VAT/Stamp duty implications if a company is looking to buy another.

done feic all today tryed to have a go at tax fell asleep foe the whole day whata waste of a day :(

Yeah - it's not always 100% clear. If you have any doubt that your work shouldn't be seen by anyone other than the recipient then just stick it on I'd say.

Thanks Ron, sometimes I just feel like tearing my hair out with this nonsense!

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    Thanks Ron, sometimes I just feel like tearing my hair out with this nonsense!

You aren't the only one! Figuring out what the institute require to reach competant is like trying to navigate a labyrinth blindfolded and drunk.

How much of the marking scheme is set in stone and how much is open to interpretation?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Can anyone help me out? I'm working through the Derry Cotter book and am a little confused as to the treatment of deferred tax on eliminated intercompany unrealised profit. In Hardcourt Group it's treated one way and in Healthfirst Group another way. Maybe I'm just being totally dense and the reason for the 2 different treatments is obvious, but my head is totally pickled here.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Can anyone help me out? I'm working through the Derry Cotter book and am a little confused as to the treatment of deferred tax on eliminated intercompany unrealised profit. In Hardcourt Group it's treated one way and in Healthfirst Group another way. Maybe I'm just being totally dense and the reason for the 2 different treatments is obvious, but my head is totally pickled here.

Hi i had the exact same issues with these two questions - its clearly a deferred tax asset and on page 63 harcourt group they debit the income statement which doesn't make sense.

I would follow the treatment in healthfirst.

Recognise the asset and credit retained earning and NCI for the appropriate share.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

chursy wrote: »
    Hi i had the exact same issues with these two questions - its clearly a deferred tax asset and on page 63 harcourt group they debit the income statement which doesn't make sense.

Recognise the asset and credit retained earning and NCI for the appropriate share.

Thanks for that Chursy pal. Thought I was going mad. The Healthfirst treatment is how I remembered it from class. These mistakes in the solutions really make me doubt myself.

• Advertisement

UP MAYO!
    Anyone know where to get the tax case studies?
    Can only see case study 1,2 and 5 on the site and the solutions.
    Where are the remaining questions??frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Chalk_Farm

chursy wrote: »

Speaking of that Hardcourt Group question, how come for point 2 of solution (pg. 64/65 solution book) the revaluation doesn't result in deferred tax asset? The tax base is €1M and it's book value after impairment is €700k??

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Trying to work out how to tackle marketing... The notes arent great cos they're PowerPoint slides where a lot of the info on them is just for prompting the lecturer so when you go back over them it's difficult to know what they're getting at.

What is other people's approach? I know there's a bit in the strategy book but not much...

I downloaded Kotler's principles of marketing book. Went through that and took notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FAE Student 2012

These sample papers don't seem to be on the student centre anymore - does anyone have solutions to them?

FAE Comprehensive - Sample Paper 1.pdf

FAE Core Comprehensive - Sample Paper 2.pdf

FAE Core Simulations - Sample Paper 2.pdf

FAE Simulations - Sample Paper 1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I downloaded Kotler's principles of marketing book. Went through that and took notes

Just had a look at that, seems a bit excessive... Did u focus on particular chapters or anything?

It was more of a skim to be honest. Got the main ideas. 7p's, keeping existing customers cheaper than getting new ones, segmentation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

Unng,

Going through the mock solutions wasn't a fantastic idea. Did worse than I thought. I approached certain indicators in different fashion to how the solutions were but I still thought were perfectly legitimate.

Example

For the business plan executive summary I prepared a proper one along the lines of what I learned in College:
    Mission Statement
    XXXX
    Company Info:
    XXXX
    Growth Highlights:
    XXX
    Products/Services:
    XXXX
    Financial Info:
    XXXX
    Future Plans:
    XXXX

Wrote a short bit on each but in the solution they just wanted strengths and opportunities. This subjectivity is killing me. The institute seem to want a specific approach and you basically get NA or INCOMPETANT if you don't think like them.

I agree, I based my solution on the Corporate Strategy Toolkit book. There will still be valid points though in what you produced as I imagine many students took this approach.

Moorstown wrote: »
    I agree, I based my solution on the Corporate Strategy Toolkit book. There will still be valid points though in what you produced as I imagine many students took this approach.

I am sure that I will get some of the points but to get C you needed 4 strategic strengths and and 3 opportunities (it seems very specific as to what you need for C), I know this was the mock but I am sure this sort of stuff will also come up in the real thing where you can just hope and pray you do it the institutes way or the institute accept your answer :mad:.

• Advertisement

any ideas what I should study to help me pass i seem to be bombarded with notes and tax material takes a bit of time more than financial :( so much done, so much to do i am forgetting what i am doing as well :( what should i do ?

Advertisement