Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Just started doing the acca F5 questions for some management accounting practice. More straightforward than the large MABF cases and great refreshed. Thoroughly recommend them.

http://www.accaglobal.com/en/student/qualification-resources/acca-qualification/acca-exams/f5-exams/exams-f4.html

Will move onto the P4/P5 too.

Also I found this in one of the ACCA books I was looking through. Useful for audit internal controls (types needed).

SPAMSOAP

Segregation
    Physical
    Authorisation/Approval
    Management (for example budgeting, risk management)
    Supervision
    Organisation (clear responsibilities set out)
    Aritmetic/Accounting
    Personnel (adequate trainining to minimise error)

Hope that helps people.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

LIST OF AUDIT ELECTIVE CASES ( EXCLUDING MOCKS/PAST PAPERS/SAMPLE PAPERS)

1 Cool it
    2 Whelan Engineering Limited
    3 Dexter
    4 Zeb Dallas
    5 Pybex Limited
    6 Ebony
    7 Perchant Hotels
    8 Mulligan Ltd
    9 Kerrigans Medical Devices
    10 Chemical Sisters
    11 White Distributors
    12 Red Ireland
    13 Sullivan Groceries
    14 Fundi Ltd
    15 Moon Designs
    16 RBG
    17 Baker
    18 Nothcee
    19 Julliet ltd
    20 Cusiter Ltd
    21 Burke Mechanicals
    22 Carcas
    23 Interplant & Tangent
    24 Pension Fund
    25 RAPS
    26 SX Maxx

I am missing the Q&A for the following
    21 Burke Mechanicals
    22 Carcas
    23 Interplant & Tangent
    24 Pension Fund
    25 RAPS
    26 SX Maxx

Would someone please be able to upload these and do a good deed of the day! - If you need anything else from the above list please let me know.

Wow, there are so many more cases for audit than for APM.

ferike1 wrote: »

Well the pass rate is like half APM! =)--- Trust me this still doesn't guarantee anything! i have gone through all audit and i still have zero confidence!

Guys I managed to make it to a few grinds with CGS (FR, MA & Finance) over the last few weeks. Liam Doran was flippin brilliant, really simplified things for me and gave me a little boost of confidence. I know more than I think I know.

The materials are pretty good and I was able to purchase an audit book for 40 euro as I couldn't make it down for the class. A bit steep but I find it really useful and much easier to follow than Sean Murray's slides.

If you have good notes on the IAS/IFRS standards I wouldn't suggest buying the FR book, but I would suggest the MA/Finance book if you are having diffs in these areas. They are way too big to scan and upload, but I am sure if you contacted them they might be able to supply it, for a price of course. I think there may also be places left on a few courses in August....

Derry Cotter notes are great man! - I understand he made you practice the questions in which were actually from the Derry cotter books for reporting.

For Management Accounting and Finance, would be worthwhile i think.

• Advertisement

That's because the institute mark it harder! Hence why I picked APM! Also did my mnemonic not help? Lol

Does someone has lecture slides for the audit elective lecture 9? Course Review session????

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Extra questions have been posted for the revision session which was held in Dublin (but not in Belfast for some reason... not sure if it was held in any other locations) - the session is also online.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

How did people find the audit elective grind

Audit elective notes - can someone please upload notes for the following lectures from the Audit elective

- Lecture describing the 8 sectors
    - Lecture on reporting to third parties and 6 reports ISRE/ISRS
    - Lecture on the Corporate Governance APB 2011/1

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rums08

chursy wrote: »
    For tax you must read the book chapter by chapter and then basically revise everything from the notes that were uploaded here of the guy who got placed. The notes are a summary of the book and very good!!!! I couldnt jump to them directly as tax is a subject which you forget very quickly!!!

There is alot of stuff in tax, it took me a week!....issues will get polished when you jump to cases its all the same again n again

Hi there,
    Thanks! Any idea where I can get the notes for the summary of the book?
    Thanks again.

At present, going through cases in MABF casebook. They are a bit too detailed, yes but I found them very helpful to revise the Finance topics especially. Gives you a good grounding of the type of complexities that can be expected in the CORE. That's what I think anyway.

What do you all think?

Also for IMP, what kind of approach are you all taking? I am clueless and extremely demotivated looking at the text book! Anyone?

Lads,
    Just a question there in relation to practicing case studies.
    After doing a case study, and on review of the solution are people, re-writing their solution, synopsing the suggested solution in point format or just reading the suggested solution. At the moment, I am just reading it, but don't think thats good enough.

My approach so far - I attempt the case study and then look at the solution - anything I did not understand or omitted - I do that bit again. Then I go through the narrative and summarise it and shorten it (the solns in the casebooks for FR and MABF are too detailed and unnecessary). It is time consuming, but I feel I am getting better by the day - slow progress though!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

How are people approaching revising for mgmt Acctg, don't kno where to start with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

just keep doing cases man - you probably know it to the level of detail required anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

How are people going about IMP? The book is woeful

I'm also a bit stumped on this one - the book is shocking, way too detailed I reckon - very difficult to study.

What's everyone's approach?

Bay trading solution attached

levi wrote: »
    I'm also a bit stumped on this one - the book is shocking, way too detailed I reckon - very difficult to study.

Notes posted earlier from the Deloitte lad. Summarised and concise!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

I have just done the corp gov and ethics revision class, found it helpful to be honest. But i want to get good notes (more condensed this year than last) away regarding the BL topics, then when i get off it will be full steam with cases and my elective and going through notes to weak areas etc, going to hard going but i really do not want to be repeating..

Does that sound doable? or am i kidding myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

levi wrote: »

I was stumped by this subject initially as well but after working through it a bit i think that there might only be a few topics that they'll want info for. They are

- outsourcing,
    - Total cost of information,
    - weak IT systems,
    - new IT systems,
    - intellectual property rights.

Now I could be mistaken and there might be more but I find that the IT systems topics are very common sense, something like staff using an arbitrary code for sales items or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

Im stumped with IMP too, really think they are going to up the level though compared to previous years.

• Advertisement

I just signed up for the MABF and BL revision sessions in CGS.

As someone suggested, I will probably buy the FR and audit elective book.

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tipp2222

Does anyone know how to calculate in case 38 in management acc book Malvern the sales and labour values for 2008 onwards for q3a?!thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Was wondering what are peoples approaches to picking a case study to attempt? i.e. do you just pick one at random and do it or are you looking at cases that examine particular areas you want to work on?

Personally I'm picking them at random (the shorter sims style ones at the moment) and attempting them as I feel this is the most exam geared way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Just working through Central City Colleges case. I would have thought there was an ethics indicator as they were looking for advice from your firm and not their own auditors. Anyone else see an ethics issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

does anyone have a copy of finance reference material with discount tables etc? Like what we would have got in cap 1 closed book finance exam, I cant see it on the institute site :(

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

EveT wrote: »
    does anyone have a copy of finance reference material with discount tables etc? Like what we would have got in cap 1 closed book finance exam, I cant see it on the institute site :(

Thanks!

They're at the back of the cap2 finance book

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Just looking at the Core sims sample paper 1 questions - is it just me or are they a bit much? 5 indicators and all that work in 90 mins seems a bit excessive!

How are people finding the study in general now?

I know I havent covered all the material for each area but I was thinking of just doing cases from now on, hoping to pick up info as I go along and revise areas i feel necessary as they come up in case studies....

I hope Im going about it the right way, really really dont want to be back here next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

+1 really really dont want to be back here next year...

Did the 2011 paper today, was grand compared to the mocks but maybe I am just more practiced. I am really expecting a lot of management accounting as there appeared to be hardly any last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

Did the 2011 paper today, was grand compared to the mocks but maybe I am just more practiced. I am really expecting a lot of management accounting as there appeared to be hardly any last year.

Your mad!

Advertisement