Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

chursy wrote: »
    Guys

I have these black and white foods exercise solutions - Is there is a case for this. Paul mentioned about these in his wrap up lecture - Its on business plans etc.?

Does anyone have questions for this

ATtached below

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

Black & white case in the strategy toolkit

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

figrolls wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I could get some decent notes or a website or something for lifecycle costing?

Its specifically mentioned on the competency statement however theres only half a page on it in clarkes book...

thanks in advance!

Take a look at the attached. Does it help?

Pfffft... really struggling to study in the evenings.... :(

Anyone doing any of the Management Accounts/Finance cases from Noel's book? Tough going alright. Can anyone suggest any decent management accounting questions to do? I can't cope with the book at all.

Pfffft... really struggling to study in the evenings.... :(

Anyone doing any of the Management Accounts/Finance cases from Noel's book? Tough going alright. Can anyone suggest any decent management accounting questions to do? I can't cope with the book at all.
    Yea same as that, cases in book far too detailed. Anyone any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I'm really struggling this week, last three days have been a write-off. Don't know what's going on.

For MA, maybe try some of the CAP 2 questions? I'm not touching that book. Whatever comes up in the cases will have to do.

Just havin quick look at the Acca P5 notes on open tuition, they might be of use. Think I'll look again 2moro tho, totally knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 haribo12

wheres the attachment link to get all the cases that have been put on this cant find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Take a look at the attached. Does it help?

Thanks for that, much appreciated!!

Im wrecked the last few days, cant seem to get into it at all...

I find im just reading the case then nearly straight away looking at the answer which is no good I know!

Going to try and do some technical stuff and 2 case studies from the elective and core each day this week and see if I can get into the grove of it, I find crossing things off a daily to do list motivates me a bit better than just reading case studies...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 haribo12

thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Hey guys I posted this a while back but I will post it again. Those people struggling with Mgmt Accounting. Have a look at the F5 and P5 papers from the main ACCA website. Good Questions.

ferike1 wrote: »
    Hey guys I posted this a while back but I will post it again. Those people struggling with Mgmt Accounting. Have a look at the F5 and P5 papers from the main ACCA website. Good Questions.

Thanks man. I've been flicking through the P5 book this morning, which got buried under a mountain of other books, and it has a few good Qs as well. Will deffo check out the papers.

Anyone know if we get an overall mock result online tomorrow or if they break it down into the indicators? I can't collect my scripts as i'm in belfast and would like to know ASAP where i ballsed up so i can go over those areas. I'm sure i'm not alone there.

It'll probably be about as helpful as the AAFRP results

Bad in question 1
    Okay in question 2
    Excellent in question 3

Yet one person gets RC and the other gets C despite the same feedback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

This is probably going to sound really stupid but what time generally are most people starting studying at. I'm usually awake by 8-8.15 up have breakfast and start studying between 9-9.30. I'm getting about 5 hours study done when you take out all the staring into space and I'm wrecked after if but really feel like I should be doing so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Scuba_Steve84

I haven't touched management accounting yet, would it be worthwhile getting the acca f5 book? anybody been using it?

Just download it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

7upfree wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound really stupid but what time generally are most people starting studying at. I'm usually awake by 8-8.15 up have breakfast and start studying between 9-9.30. I'm getting about 5 hours study done when you take out all the staring into space and I'm wrecked after if but really feel like I should be doing so much more.
    You're not alone!I'm not getting up til after nine most days and if I make it to 5 that's an achievement!I got up yesterday at eight and was falling asleep all day because I've got into a pattern of getting up later!I also tried studying for an hour or so Monday evening after dinner and it was very unproductive!it is worrying because I know if I continue like this I will not get everything covered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Those calculations/projections in Thorpe Clinic regarding the A&E Department are nuts. Some of these cases seem a bit OTT. The actual exam papers and mocks are a much fairer representation of the standard. Anyone else going nuts attempting the sample cases?

There should be a set standard to be honest. The fact that there are so many varying degrees of difficulty makes it hard to know what exactly is expected of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Those calculations/projections in Thorpe Clinic regarding the A&E Department are nuts. Some of these cases seem a bit OTT. The actual exam papers and mocks are a much fairer representation of the standard. Anyone else going nuts attempting the sample cases?

Yeah, some of those sample cases are ridiculous. That Smartphone app in Locust Coffee that sends you a text every time you go near one of their shops was another one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

In Bay Trading there is an ethics indicator which states that before accepting this assignment (providing business advice, not auditors) we need to formally assess whether acceptance of the assignment would lead to any threat to compliance with the fundamental principles.
    In Thorpe Clinic it's the same sort of scenario (you're not their auditor but they're looking for advice) but no indicator here.
    Why so guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

haribo12 wrote: »
    wheres the attachment link to get all the cases that have been put on this cant find it :(

on the main menu at the top select Biz

Then select accounting you will see FAE 2012 click on that paperclip will give you access to all the attachements..

An Citeog wrote: »
    Yeah, some of those sample cases are ridiculous. That Smartphone app in Locust Coffee that sends you a text every time you go near one of their shops was another one.

I got really annoyed with that because they were talking about QRs and I hadn't clue til I searched online and copped it was QR codes. Which I haven't actually seen mentioned in the IMP book anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

same for mgt, dont know what to do for it, looked at the cases book and got so demoralised threw it in the corner (for finance and mgt) and went shopping!

EveT wrote: »
    same for mgt, dont know what to do for it, looked at the cases book and got so demoralised threw it in the corner (for finance and mgt) and went shopping!

Guys

I have seen a few posts re looking at ACCA papers i dont think there is need to be because you are not expected to compute whole calculation as per Paul wrap up lecture. You need to have an understanding of the technique which you can easily pick up by going through worked examples in the book and checking out the advantages and Dis adv of each topic. Again the focus is on application and making decisions not calculating ABC Costing and calculation we do that at CAP 1 level not even at CAP 2.

Therefore i suggest rather then getting bogged down with the ACCA papers n stuff, just revise the lectures and know where the stuff is in case you need to refer! work through the examples and thats about it! There are 5 topics in total we need to do so should take a day or two max if you do it properly!

This is what i am planning to do! i had a look at F5 people , its just numbers! P5 is next level!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

Guys

I have seen a few posts re looking at ACCA papers i dont think there is need to be because you are expected to compute whole calculation as per Paul wrap lecture. You need to have an understanding of the technique which you can easily pick up by going through worked examples in the book and checking out the advantages and Dis adv of each topic. Again the focus is on application and making decision not calculating ABC Costing and calculation we do that at CAP 1 level not even at CAP 2.

Therefore i suggest rather then getting bogged down with the ACCA papers n stuff, just revise the lectures and know where the stuff is in case you need to refer! work through the examples and thats about it! There are 5 topics in total we need to do so should take a day or two max if you do it properly!

This is what i am planning to do! i had a look at F5 people , its just numbers! P 5 is next level!!!

good advice there I think! No way im going near acca papers! we have enough numbers questions, its about being able to recognise the questions when they come up, yea I think Im going to try do what you said above and keep the cases ticking over at the same time!! thanks!!

I've gone through P5 too :D

One month to go!

One month to go!

Good stuff but honestly i dont think we have time to do these papers at this stage - alot of cases to do and i have seen the management accounting indicators its much high level stuff - you need to know the techniques not necessarily master the calculation bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

Does anyone know if the 2011 FAE annotated report been published yet? If so, has anyone got a copy of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

One month to go!

Good stuff but honestly i dont think we have time to do these papers at this stage - alot of cases to do and i have seen the management accounting indicators its much high level stuff - you need to know the techniques not necessarily master the calculation bit!

Agree with this point. Technical calculations are not the focus of the FAE exam, that's what CAP 1 & 2 are for. I think it's going to be a matter of identifying the relevant areas of theory to apply to the case. Not touching ACCA papers!

Advertisement