Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

You got 4 yellows, you are probably number 1 in the country!

I think sufficiency is actually FINDING/IDENTIFYING enough indicators?

So if there are 13 on the paper you have to find 8 or 9 or whatever to be considered sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

ferike1 wrote: »
    You got 4 yellows, you are probably number 1 in the country!

I think sufficiency is actually FINDING/IDENTIFYING enough indicators?

So if there are 13 on the paper you have to find 8 or 9 or whatever to be considered sufficient?

You get a mark for every RC you get and a higher mark for every C & HC you get. So your paper has an overall mark in this regard. They have a rough idea before the exam what sufficiency should be. Then once every paper is marked they put all the scores into the computer and they see how well everyone did. At this point then after discussions they decide on the suitable mark you need to get to pass sufficiency.

So if your results say sufficiency 7 then you are 7 marks away from passing the sufficiency test meaning you need to turn 7 NC's into RC's or RC's into C's etc. Obviously for the mocks they don't retrospectively change the sufficiency test as that would defeat the purpose of the mocks, they'd just have a set sufficiency benchmark before the exam.

Now, all you nerds are doing my head in this morning. I'm away to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tequila Mockingbird

Core: Fail, Decile 1, Sufficiency 4 (4 Yellow and Red in PM/BL)
    Tax: Fail, Decile 5, Sufficiency 7

Happy enough with that. Surprised with Core result. Should have done a bit better in Tax but completely fecked up 2 of the indicators. Don't know if I will bother collecting scripts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

I'm lost could really do with some help. I got Decile 2 Sufficency 9 in Core and got all Reds and one Yellow! I've no idea what this means I asume Decile 2 is a good thing but I got all reds :(

Ex 88 wrote: »
    I'm lost could really do with some help. I got Decile 2 Sufficency 9 in Core and got all Reds and one Yellow! I've no idea what this means I asume Decile 2 is a good thing but I got all reds :(

Did you read the last page or two of the thread?

Decile 2:
    You're scored in the top 20% of all participants.

Sufficiency 9:
    You were 9 points away from passing the sufficiency test.

One Yellow:
    You just about reached the relevant standard (competent in BL/PM, reaching competent in TX, AU, IM & FI) in this subject.

Five Reds:
    You failed to reach the relevant standard (see above) in these subjects.

Be happy, you're currently ahead of 80% of the people sitting these exams. In theory if you continue to work until the exam day you should be ok.

• Advertisement

I might be wrong in my explanation of the sufficiency score on second reading. Apologies if thats the case.

Anyway, they posted up an explanation of the results: http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Documents/FAE%20Results%20%20Explanatory%20Information.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

i got decile 3 and suff 7 in tax elective NI - happy enough because i missed a couple indicators

but completely failed core!!!! reds the whole show!

Thanks for posting that link. Quite far away from passing it seems for me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

Thanks for your help that link it great! If anything it's a motivation forthe real thing! I will be picking up my script today and heading straight tothe Off Licence for a bottle of wine because I don't think I could look at thescript sober! Why do the institute have to make the marking so complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

Have a lot of work to do if I wanna pass these exams!! Core results terrible, but suppose I only did one of the sim cases. Elective needs bit of work too but not as bad as core!! :(

• Advertisement

Its because they don't actually know who will pass. They have an idea before the exam of what the answers will be etc but the scripts are marked against eachother. If 90% of students they pick for the initial markings find an indicator it will be expected the remainder of the students will find it. Its such a subjective exam I think there is quite a bit of leeway.

Lets not get disheartened - onwards and upwards!!!! but im completely bricking it now and i havent even got off work yet!!!!! FML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the west

How can u get in the top 10% .ie decile and still fail core. no wonder the country is in a mess coming up with a system like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

Got a decile ranking of 1 and a sufficency of 0.

Not happy with two yellows in Finance and Tax though. Need to put in a lot of work there.

APM - Decile ranking of 1 and a sufficency of 0. Can leave that now until the night before the exam.

reo49 wrote: »

Not happy with two yellows in Finance and Tax though. Need to put in a lot of work there.

APM - Decile ranking of 1 and a sufficency of 0. Can leave that now until the night before the exam.
    R u for real?? U passed your mocks???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

reo49 wrote: »

Not good enough reo lol, need to push for those 6 greens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Ok so I may just go back to work now and accept the fail.

I got 5 red and 1 yellow for core with a sufficiency of 9 :(:(:(

Elective was a little better as i got sufficiency rating of 4.

Overall I got a decile ranking of 4. From reading the explanation 1 is top 10% and 10 is bottom 10% so is it right to make the assumption that 4 is in around the top 40% of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Ex 88 wrote: »

I really don't understand how they mark these things. I got decile 4 but same as you I got sufficiency 9 and 5 reds and 1 yellow.

I can't wait for the real things to be bloody over sick of it at this stage and I can't see myself passing these. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dee359

Everyone seems to have done bril! I'd be glad with any of those results, got decile 9 in core and suff 9. Decile 5 in audit elective and suff 7. Im surprised with core to be honest. Thought I gave it a good shot.. Anyway! LOTS of work for me to do for the next month!

dee359 wrote: »
    Everyone seems to have done bril! I'd be glad with any of those results, got decile 9 in core and suff 9. Decile 5 in audit elective and suff 7. Im surprised with core to be honest. Thought I gave it a good shot.. Anyway! LOTS of work for me to do for the next month!

Dee i got the same as you in core! - very surprised too. but onwards and upwards and in elective 3 decile and suff 7! so gotta still press on with elective.

Good luck with studying and forget about the mocks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Chipped Nails

Went to collect my script & they've "misplaced" my APM script. I'm doing the Audit elective. Doesn't really instil much confidence in the institute, I know they had to have them marked and ready in a short amount of time but still! I must say however that looking at the scripts that I did get back and the feedback given has been quite useful.Still have a long way to go yet.

dee359 wrote: »

Dee i got the same as you in core! - very surprised too. but onwards and upwards and in elective 3 decile and suff 7! so gotta still press on with elective.

Good luck with studying and forget about the mocks now.

Well that's a bit of a relief cos I thought I must have been the only one! Hope there's enough time to turn it around.. Gonna collect the script later and see what went wrong. Onwards and upwards is right!!

Went to collect my script & they've "misplaced" my APM script. I'm doing the Audit elective. Doesn't really instil much confidence in the institute, I know they had to have them marked and ready in a short amount of time but still! I must say however that looking at the scripts that I did get back and the feedback given has been quite useful.Still have a long way to go yet.

That's a joke! But as you said theres a lot of time pressure etc. but still, they get paid enough to do it right! Still have a long way to go myself but maybe it's the kick we needed. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I think these results should be taken in perspective. They are mocks and they were held over a month ago. I think we all know a lot more now than we did then. I also think the decile score shouldn't be taken too seriously, as if you even sat the mocks you were likely to score highly here as a lot of people didn't sit or seriously attempt the mocks (leaving after 30 mins for example). I only sat my elective and passed it as this was the only one I felt I could attempt. Had I sat them all, I probably wouldn't have passed the elective. So I think everyone should just keep working away as normal and not let the results affect you (be it complacency or despondency).

Five big weeks ahead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Core:

Decile 6
    Sufficiency 9

5 Reds and a Green

Tax Elective:

Decile 1
    Sufficiency 0

Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cbxmurphy

chursy wrote: »
    WTF - you sure you doing FAE's mate!!! unless your firm misread the recommended leave to be 8 days instead of 8 weeks!

I only have 16 days too for the FAE. couldnt do much study during the week with heavey work load, prob that explains my total failure on CORE. decile 9 and sufficient 9

Motorvation info system - to be competent need 10 valid features overall!! Are we supposed to know what every industry out there needs their info system to do? It's a complete joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Core: fail, decile 2, suff 9 yellow IMP & finance, rest red
    APM: fail, decile 6, suff 6

Probably a fair enough description of how I did. I only half did the answers if I'm being honest with myself. Wish I could write faster. I'm sure I'll be a lot better on the day. Let's hope so anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dogshow87

I got:

Decile Ranking (Core)

Sufficiency Grouping at level 1 (Core)

Decile Ranking (Audit Elective)

Sufficiency Grouping at level 1 (Elective)

Feel like the results are more demoralizing that motivational. Not going to be simple to turn it around but at the end of the day all you can do is your best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

So basically the sufficiency score is a overall figure score of how u did across all 6 core subject. No wonder I got a 9 with only 2 yellows like

Advertisement