Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

Has anybody looked at Quancore case study.

I have been unable to wok out where a figure has come from.

In indicator 3 of the solution on page 8 where does the 2,219 person days come from and why is it 60k/260 in the calculation of the cost (likely obvious once one understands where the 2,219 comes from I guess).

It has frustrated me not being able work it out so if anybody has worked through this solution and could advise me on this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Anyone know when it's appropriate to use debt/equity or when you should use debt/debt+equity when calculating the gearing ratio of a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Good question, both are acceptable. Just state which you are using as your assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Chalk_Farm

For the motorvation case would there not be a tax issue with the proposal by one of the directors to give a loan of €600k? Doesnt seem to be mentioned in the solution

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aSmile

Szewinska wrote: »
    Has anybody looked at Quancore case study.

I have been unable to wok out where a figure has come from.

In indicator 3 of the solution on page 8 where does the 2,219 person days come from and why is it 60k/260 in the calculation of the cost (likely obvious once one understands where the 2,219 comes from I guess).

It has frustrated me not being able work it out so if anybody has worked through this solution and could advise me on this, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I recall there are two 'sections' and you are given the information for one department (but not the two in aggregate). The solution is incorrect in it's calculation but the 2,219 is correct (ie it should be grossed up by taking the 1,601 and multiplying by (29 (ie total personnel in the two sections) divided by 21 (ie number of people in division for which information is provided). I think that's what needs to be done.

Rest of the calculations confused me so couldn't get any further....would welcome explanation. I don't understand the dividing by 260.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

aSmile wrote: »
    Rest of the calculations confused me so couldn't get any further....would welcome explanation. I don't understand the dividing by 260.

Not sure I remember the details of the case, so without going and looking at it 260 would usually be the presumed number of working days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Butterflyguy

Currently working my way through the sample papers.

Anyone looked at SIM 1 on sample paper 1, Sutherland Properties?
    Indicator 1. When asked to consider the letter received offering to buy the Sweet Lane property, I only looked at the undervaluation and the need for an expert evaluation and potential impairment! As well as some waffle about don't have to enter into negotiations bla bla. The solution goes on to talk about the transaction structure (ie shares v assets) and CG implications.
    Honestly never would have thought to mention those points!

I also can't see where they're getting comparative 2008 figures from in relation to rent receipts. Once again I am probably being thick. Has anyone been able to spot that?

Yeh I just did this case today - was considering doing the tax implications of an asset vs. company sale, but didnt bother due to timing issues!

In terms of the 2008 comparatives, these prior year earings are in relation to the Development company as opposed to the Investment company. You know this figure as it tells you in the case that they disposed of 80% of the stock in the Development company for revenue circa €10m in the prior year. I think they were trying to complicate things as much as possible by having the group structure with similar company names and operations!

I also thought the ethics indicator in that case was horse****! The solution is such a mish mash of advice!

Did you happen to do the Indigo case which is Sim 3 in sample paper 1?? I am confused by the marking scheme for the IMP indicator - to get competent you had to recommend selecting company B or C as the supplier. But to get high competent you had to recommend selecting company A?!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

Byrne Limited has me near tears. It seemed fine. Then:

Two BL indicators that I missed entirely, plus I spent ages on an audit indicator that didn't actually exist because the q spent so long talking about how to get the auditors to give a clean report!

I can only hope indicators are clearer in the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

3 weeks to go ? yes or no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rums08

mrduffy wrote: »
    3 weeks to go ? yes or no ?

Yup!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rums08

How many CORE cases are there apart from the Mocks , Sample and Past papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

As far as I recall there are two 'sections' and you are given the information for one department (but not the two in aggregate). The solution is incorrect in it's calculation but the 2,219 is correct (ie it should be grossed up by taking the 1,601 and multiplying by (29 (ie total personnel in the two sections) divided by 21 (ie number of people in division for which information is provided). I think that's what needs to be done.

Not sure I remember the details of the case, so without going and looking at it 260 would usually be the presumed number of working days per year.

Cheers for the help. I don't think I will get too bogged down in this.
    rums08 wrote: »

Where are the sample papers. Anybody a link to these on the site??

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dee359

Szewinska wrote: »

Cheers for the help. I don't think I will get too bogged down in this.
    rums08 wrote: »

Where are the sample papers. Anybody a link to these on the site??

This link should work
    http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Student-Information/Courses/New-Syllabus/Sample-Papers--Solutions/FAE-Sample-Papers-and-Solutions/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

Just wondering if anyone can tell me where in the Imp book does it discuss the software as a service business model that came up in our mock?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

reo49 wrote: »
    Has anyone done an index of all the indicators that come under the different subjects? Ferike1?

I know there is a similiar spreadsheet going around with all the indicators of each case study.

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

It's not easy to sit down for 4 and half hours and attempt a Core paper under exam conditions. I tried Primus Pet Foods there and got writer's block after an hour. Think Billy Williams needs to introduce a Locust concentration drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

It's not easy to sit down for 4 and half hours and attempt a Core paper under exam conditions. I tried Primus Pet Foods there and got writer's block after an hour. Think Billy Williams needs to introduce a Locust concentration drink.

Yes I was trying this and it's not easy. I found I was only writing outline answers and not to a standard I would hope to do on the actual day. I think it's impossible to recreate an exam environment exactly but you at least get a feel for identifying indicators and seeing how close you get to competent.

I might also add that it's a huge amount of time out of your study day spent on one case so I'm thinking about doing outline answers in half the time required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

BESman wrote: »
    Yes I was trying this and it's not easy. I found I was only writing outline answers and not to a standard I would hope to do on the actual day. I think it's impossible to recreate an exam environment exactly but you at least get a feel for identifying indicators and seeing how close you get to competent.

I might also add that it's a huge amount of time out of your study day spent on one case so I'm thinking about doing outline answers in half the time required.

This is exactly the way I've been approaching it. Might try a couple of full 4.5 hour sessions over the next 3 weeks but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

i am just reading solutions i find it good to read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 acattack

Does anyone have the quancore Q, have the solution alright but cant find the Q anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

I'm treating it like marathon training, ya never actually do the full 26.2 miles until the marathon day. So in the same respect I will never actually do a full 4.5 hours comp or sims paper under exam conditions until the exam day - in case it ****s me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Has anyone done 'Active Health Plc'?

In the question it says "Ian... will expect an update by way of a briefing paper.... He's also asked you to prepare a draft of the memo requested by Mary Ryan for his approval".

I struggled with how to structure this, ie. what indicators should be dealt with in the briefing paper and what should be dealt with in the memo. Then when I go to the solution there is no memo! Just a briefing paper. Any answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

Byrne Limited has me near tears. It seemed fine. Then:

Two BL indicators that I missed entirely, plus I spent ages on an audit indicator that didn't actually exist because the q spent so long talking about how to get the auditors to give a clean report!

I can only hope indicators are clearer in the real thing.

To quote Michael Jackson: 'You are not alone' I attempted that case a few days ago and the exact same thing happened to me! I was only after studying BL the two days before I did the case and I missed both of them! The standard of some of the cases is shocking and the solutions are a joke!!! At least we know we're all in the same boat!

Grrr. I did most of the cases, now going through the solutions and picking out points that could be tailored to any case (obiviously leaving out ones that are very specific to the case at hand such as LocustSmart zombie plague) and I find it confusing seeing that on some cases an indicator is given for the executive summary i.e briefing note/memo/letter etc to certain people only. It seems so damn arbitrary as to when it is or isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

I'm trying to find two cases for management accounting. They are Daymoo and Vortech, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.:D

In the Irish Italian food partnership case

It states that patent income should be moved to a separate company on which no CT is paid. Is this right? I thought patents were taxable under Case III?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

ferike1 wrote: »
    In the Irish Italian food partnership case

It states that patent income should be moved to a separate company on which no CT is paid. Is this right? I thought patents were taxable under Case III?

I suspect that the solution hasn't been updated.

Patent income used to be tax free but it isn't anymore.

Lobbing the patents into a separate company would have been the done thing pre November/December 2010 which is when the change took place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

ferike1 wrote: »
    I find it confusing seeing that on some cases an indicator is given for the executive summary i.e briefing note/memo/letter etc to certain people only. It seems so damn arbitrary as to when it is or isn't.

I'm waiting for them to introduce the postcard method. Maybe they'll supply a stamp with the exam paper this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 faer2203

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    I suspect that the solution hasn't been updated.

Patent income used to be tax free but it isn't anymore.

Lobbing the patents into a separate company would have been the done thing pre November/December 2010 which is when the change took place.

I might be wrong, but is the reason that they are putting it in a seperate company is that if the shareholders take a dividend from that company that dividend will be tax free as it is patent income? or is that gone aswel?

Advertisement