Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

Really feeling the love, jealousy is an awful thing.

PS Just because I passed the mocks, doesn't mean I will pass the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

There are people who like audit...? :eek:

A couple in my firm actually do. Good for them - the world needs auditors. And they will have absolutely no competition when it comes to promotion time because the rest of us are out like a whiff of smoke as soon as Day Zero comes. Hurrah for a world beyond audit!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

risk....swaps forwards futures options etc.... how likely is this for core or is it more apm stuff?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

EveT wrote: »
    risk....swaps forwards futures options etc.... how likely is this for core or is it more apm stuff?!

Came up in a resource pack case so I am expecting something. Especially with the euro being so weak the past year.

ferike1 wrote: »
    Came up in a resource pack case so I am expecting something. Especially with the euro being so weak the past year.

which case do you know? saw it today in one but wasnt calculations, more discussion, think Victoria, HATE risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 alphacalc

Do you mean discussing them or actually calculating a forward/ option? That would be pretty technical no?

which case do you know? saw it today in one but wasnt calculations, more discussion, think Victoria, HATE risk

I can't remember the name. It was to do with the head office setting USD prices. It was more qualitative in nature yes. I just think that with the sovereign debt crisis being huge the past year it will feature. Also maybe something with Olympus and their inappropriate acquisition capitalisation. That happened within the scope of our exam setting time.

alphacalc wrote: »
    Do you mean discussing them or actually calculating a forward/ option? That would be pretty technical no?

I hope!

I can't remember the name. It was to do with the head office setting USD prices. It was more qualitative in nature yes. I just think that with the sovereign debt crisis being huge the past year it will feature. Also maybe something with Olympus and their inappropriate acquisition capitalisation. That happened within the scope of our exam setting time.

I hope youre doing APM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alphacalc

FX hedging techniques came up in 2010 paper...a pretty easy indicator if it's just discussing it. Don't think been asked to calculate an option/ swap demonstrates competence in finance when pricing is all done by bloomberg etc but you never know I suppose.

• Advertisement

I hope youre doing APM!!

Haha I am. Why? I just thought of the nastiest question. A step acquisition in another currency funded in part by convertible debt and in part by a money market loan or swap. Also you have to value the company first. Lol
    Bill Williams would approve!

Haha I am. Why? I just thought of the nastiest question. A step acquisition in another currency funded in part by convertible debt and in part by a money market loan or swap. Also you have to value the company first. Lol

will ya delete that before the institute see it and change our papers!! haha

will ya delete that before the institute see it and change our papers!! haha

It would be too technical! Sure most people (except reo) struggled with that damn inventory question in the mocks! Lol what worried me was a got a red in finance in the mocks and I did a Msc in finance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

It would be too technical! Sure most people (except reo) struggled with that damn inventory question in the mocks! Lol what worried me was a got a red in finance in the mocks and I did a Msc in finance!!!

Nah I struggled with that as well, but "made a reasonable effort to calculate the errors" so got away with, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

And you're working in auditing?! Tho i suppose the banks arent taking on many...

I'm just pulling your leg reo. Don't mind me.

Yeah couldn't get a job anywhere else. Such is life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Do people bring in food with them to these? I usually bring in a mars bar and bottle of lucozade to keep the energy levels up. It's good to have a little break midway through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Yeah, I learned that during the mocks.

The old 10 to 2.30 is tricky on the eats front. To get there on time, you end up have breakfast at (say) 8 so it's a long time until 2.30 / 3.

Might even bring a sambo TBH. Defo a Mars Bar and banana etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

Thanks guys the advice here has been priceless. Never even thought of the food angle

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Moorstown,

I couldnt attach on the private mail so I just uploaded here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

In an ideal the world the institute would provide us with food on the day. Maybe Paul Monahan and a few of his chronies could come into the exam hall with a hot dog stand. Get your hot dogs....

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

One word: Porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

In an ideal the world the institute would provide us with food on the day. Maybe Paul Monahan and a few of his chronies could come into the exam hall with a hot dog stand. Get your hot dogs....

Not sure I'd want to take a hot dog from him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

Elle2012 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd want to take a hot dog from him!!

Elle2012 your mind is in a very bad place, you will probably ace these frigging case studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Sample Paper 2 Core is EVIL. Although when I "corrected" my attempt I did better than I expected but no way could you answer that in an exam setting. The case was over 20 pages long. To be fair, the examiner said it was on the extreme end of narrative length.

I still haven't attempted a lot of the resource pack cases. How worthwhile are they? I'm hoping to cover most of them over the next 4-5 days but if people could recommend any that are worth skipping that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I hope youre doing APM!!

I think I'll just skip these exams you've just totally confused me and I was only looking at APM yesterday. :-( I can not wait till tomorrow two weeks for this **** to be finally over. A drink or two or maybe two dozen will be called for

My apologies. I think I have broken 7upfree! Yeah we are almost there guys and hopefully no more institute exams evvvverrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

My apologies. I think I have broken 7upfree! Yeah we are almost there guys and hopefully no more institute exams evvvverrrr.

Nah the institute broke me :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faer2203

BESman wrote: »
    Sample Paper 2 Core is EVIL. Although when I "corrected" my attempt I did better than I expected but no way could you answer that in an exam setting. The case was over 20 pages long. To be fair, the examiner said it was on the extreme end of narrative length.

I still haven't attempted a lot of the resource pack cases. How worthwhile are they? I'm hoping to cover most of them over the next 4-5 days but if people could recommend any that are worth skipping that would be great!

Yeah I'm the same BESman, just kinda finding the indicators and then just scribbling a few words down on what ya would say

I wouldn't be one for writing out the solution, think it would take too long, but then again I could be wrong

• Advertisement

7upfree wrote: »
    Nah the institute broke me :-D

I finally realise why CA's are so hireable. Not because we are more intelligent or skilled than other people (quite the opposite, anyone with a brain would avoid this like the plague) but because we are masters of putting up with sh*t! From both our employers and the institute. Future employers will be able to throw anything at us and we will be able to deflect with ease. Its also why all ex-big 4 are the happiest people ever. Most employers even with a lot of sh*t still won't come near to that level! :D

Advertisement