Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SJay

mrduffy wrote: »
    anyone here work in deloitte ?

I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Lads

Need a favour and some tip. I seem to be struggling with bl indicators specially on strategy/marketing/. Can someone recommend a quick of getting uptospeed with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

chursy wrote: »
    Lads

Need a favour and some tip. I seem to be struggling with bl indicators specially on strategy/marketing/. Can someone recommend a quick of getting uptospeed with this ?

Not sure if this will help but one way of approaching strategic option type indicators is look at:

1.suitability (level of risk/goals of co/suit corporate structure)
    2. feasibility (funding/time)
    3. acceptability (staff/customers/govt)

This will usually lead u to some form of conclusion... Someone told me to approach bl q's this way (went to cgs) & kinda like structure of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FAE24

ferike1 wrote: »
    How are the notes?

Hi Ferike1,

Would you mind sending those notes onto me too please??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SJay

Hi Ferike,

Would ya mind sending them onto me???
    May be the chink of light I need to get me out of this black hole.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi Ferike

Could I get those notes off you also please? Thanks so much!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

Fertile might be easier to upload then on eshare etc if they are big and post the link mate- seems to be demand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Username333

Daizy0 wrote: »
    I would LOVE some great notes :D

Hi Ferike,

I would love some great notes also :)
    Following this thread has really helped me over the weeks, best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

mrduffy wrote: »
    anyone here work in deloitte ?

Used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

How are the notes?

I managed to access them. I'm sure the notes are great but there are a few hundred pages in each set so don't know if i realistically have time to print and go through them.. think it would be information overload, thanks for sending them on thou.. if things go wrong could still be requiring them.. :( fingers crossed not thou. .

Did anyone who recived them yesterday find any specific area's worth printing out for the exams, area not covered by notes from boards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Quick question on WACC. I have come across 3 different ways of calculating it.

All three give a different answer. 1 usually gives the highest WACC. I assume once you indicate how you calculated the WACC and its a fair assumption you would still get the marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Daizy0 wrote: »
    I would LOVE some great notes :D

Hi Ferike,

I would love some great notes also :)
    Following this thread has really helped me over the weeks, best of luck to everyone

Could I get the notes as well Ferike.... Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

One of them doesn't seem correct 7up.

Why would you multiply the Equity with (1-t) as equity doesn't have a tax shield i.e dividends not tax deductible. I can understand the first one (if there is no tax rate) or the one where you multiply D x (1-t) but the equity one doesn't make sense in my head and I have never seen it before, doing years of finance study (btw I could be massively wrong but I have never come across it).

As for the hobby, would love to be making money off it!

Also guys, if I have not PM'd anyone please let me know. It wasn't intentional if I missed someone, I was just get PM's left right and center yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Butterflyguy

Hey Ferike1 would ya mind sending me those notes aswell??

One of them doesn't seem correct 7up.

Why would you multiply the Equity with (1-t) as equity doesn't have a tax shield i.e dividends not tax deductible. I can understand the first one (if there is no tax rate) or the one where you multiply D x (1-t) but the equity one doesn't make sense in my head and I have never seen it before, doing years of finance study (btw I could be massively wrong but I have never come across it).

As for the hobby, would love to be making money off it!

Ah I see where I got confused I can't bloody read :-D god help me next week.

It didn't make sense to me that it was taking account of tax on equity but turns out I just read it wrong.

The example I was using gave me 13% for the first formula and 12.5% for the formula that takes account of the tax in debt so there's not really a whole lot of difference in them anyway so I'd assume you'd be safe enough using the first one regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Also guys, if I have not PM'd anyone please let me know. It wasn't intentional if I missed someone, I was just get PM's left right and center yesterday :D

Would really appreciate it if I could get the notes too if possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

costacurta wrote: »

Would really appreciate it if I could get the notes too if possible?

Thanks

Same here, could I get them too please? Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Grandfathered goodwill - anyone know what this is??

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

A quick google throws this up

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cirdmanual/CIRD10140.htm

Seems to be more a tax term than anything, allowing an old treatment to continue with new rules being implemented going foward on new items only

I could be wrong, thats just my take up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

figrolls wrote: »
    A quick google throws this up

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cirdmanual/CIRD10140.htm

Seems to be more a tax term than anything, allowing an old treatment to continue with new rules being implemented going foward on new items only

I could be wrong, thats just my take up on it

Thanks for the link :)

Tax hurts my head.

• Advertisement

FAEs hurt mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Hope there's not Grandma's Goodwill

Just saw this on the FAE 2011 thread,

Possibly needs a bit of updating (perhaps somebody whos good at tax could let us know!)

Thought it might be handy to have on the tax as a quick guide!

Just to let everyone know I will be gone from this thread once FAEs start!

Last thing I need is to disect the exam afterwards and realise how awful I did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Last thing I need is to disect the exam afterwards and realise how awful I did :D

I second that. Also, you'd be surprised how much study you can get done after an exam. Get a bite to eat, recharge and do a couple of hours before the next one. I find it very useful.

Yeah same here, I cant stand the post mortem!

That makes two of us. Especially with these. Exams as there's no definite right answer.

Thanks to everyone for all their help. I've decided if these don't go to plan I. Going to emigrate and become a dive instructer. That way I can turn my hobby into a profit making business like bee brilliant :-D

It states that VAT may be charged unless transfer of a business exemption applies and the purchaser is VAT registered

Does transfer of a business exemption simply mean that its transfered as a going concern or is there more detail to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

figrolls wrote: »
    It states that VAT may be charged unless transfer of a business exemption applies and the purchaser is VAT registered

Does transfer of a business exemption simply mean that its transfered as a going concern or is there more detail to it?

On incorporation relief from vat if
    Tranferor Vat registered - as business is in existance this will be covered
    Business is transfered as a going concern - this should qualify
    Purchaser must be vat registered ie the company receiving the business/assets

As company is just incorportated must ensure that the company has registered for vat before transferring the company to be eligible for the exemptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Siobhang4 wrote: »
    On incorporation relief from vat if
    Tranferor Vat registered - as business is in existance this will be covered
    Business is transfered as a going concern - this should qualify
    Purchaser must be vat registered ie the company receiving the business/assets

As company is just incorportated must ensure that the company has registered for vat before transferring the company to be eligible for the exemptions.

Just with this, do ALL assets (except for cash) have to be transferred?
    So if you are buying a company not as a share purchase but as an asset purchase, and say you don't buy some property, does that mean that there will be VAT?

Advertisement