Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Daizy0

haribo12 wrote: »
    Was just wondering is there any summary notes for audit core on this

For risk assessment, internal controls , It would be really great if someone could send me a link for it

Thanks
    I think there's a list of controls up on the Audit Elective 2012 page x

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Daizy0

Is this the sort of list of controls you were looking for??

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

faer2203 wrote: »
    Are people just doing the new fae exam papers or doing the old style ones too?

I didn't look at any of the old style papers.. too many cases to look at as it was. :(

RE Exam papers find that they are alot more company focused than the cases, alot of the cases can have generic answers so think reviewing them will just get a person in the right frame of mind more than anything.... seems to be all about applying to the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

FiVE2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

My contract is only up in 2014 April...still would be nice to get FAEs out the way so I can only focus on the misery of work in itself and not have to worry about exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

ferike1 wrote: »
    My contract is only up in 2014 April...still would be nice to get FAEs out the way so I can only focus on the misery of work in itself and not have to worry about exams.

Mine is up in march 2013. Failed one of my cap 2's twice :-( really hoping same doesn't happen this time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the west

Thats a good idea...this weekend will be important to clutch the studying a bit. Last thing u wat is to open that paper on Tuesday and been wrecked tired facing into 3 days of torture. With the help of god and luck, we will all get by fine...

Man when I think back to all the lies about how people were saying CAP2s are the hardest exam you have to do and FAES are easier. I want to laugh.

Man when I think back to all the lies about how people were saying CAP2s are the hardest exam you have to do and FAES are easier. I want to laugh.

It may be true!

God I need to finish getting notes together to be printed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Yeah I'd totally relish 4 CAP2 exams again - Here's some information, here are some questions, here is the number of marks you can get per answer.

None of this figure it out for yourself BS.

What a system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Id love if some of our managers who did the old FAE's sat did these papers just to appreciate how hard they are
    theres no way most of mine would pass the Business leadership and IMP element!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone in the same situation as myself.

I am way behind on the case studies. Still have a load to go over.
    Probably (Definetly!!!) started them too late and also took too long doing them and going over the answers in the first couple of weeks has put me in this situation, but anyway that is water under the bridge at this stage/

Would regard my knowledge generally good enough (but nowhere near confident of passing obviously) and happy at tackling case studies at this stage, but still want to go over specific items.

Tryin to decide whether to go hammer and tongs at the cases and just basically read them and reference them up or still attempt them for another couple of days and then focus on technical areas for Sun/Mon without getting to the end of the cases....

Any input would be great.

I have 11 cases left (all the feckin long ones too) no chance I'll get them done! Ive decided that I'm going to practice my timing by giving myself reading time (10 -15 min each depending on the size of the case) then 20ish min planning time and then check the solution! Timing is key and I want to get used to planning my answer and using the reading time properly! No point tiring yourself out answering a case for hours when the solution is proberly dirt anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Jeez I don't know, CAP 2 is fairly brutal. Glad I don't have to do a full consolidation question ever again.

figrolls wrote: »
    Id love if some of our managers who did the old FAE's sat did these papers just to appreciate how hard they are
    theres no way most of mine would pass the Business leadership and IMP element!

My b**** of a manger didn't even do the FAEs the unqualified dope! I'd love her to try these out she wouldn't have a breeze!!

BESman wrote: »
    Jeez I don't know, CAP 2 is fairly brutal. Glad I don't have to do a full consolidation question ever again.

Right there with you on consol.
    Also glad I don't have to do closed-book Tax ever again.

I noticed a lot of you are bringing in the case study solutions to look up in the exam, I didn't think to do this because I figured they won't ask the same thing (well not exactly the same) I just find the solutions very specific! I think my notes are good but am I making a mistake not bringing the case study solutions with me? Plus I don't have them in order either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Ex 88 wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of you are bringing in the case study solutions to look up in the exam, I didn't think to do this because I figured they won't ask the same thing (well not exactly the same) I just find the solutions very specific! I think my notes are good but am I making a mistake not bringing the case study solutions with me? Plus I don't have them in order either :(

It might not be any harm if ya had time just to quickly put them in order of the case I uploaded a spreadsheet that tells ya what cases have something to do with the different subjects in the last couple of days.
    Someone else also uploaded one.
    Shouldn't take too long just put them in order and I have just a list done at the front of the folder with tabs.

Only bring in individual pages that you think were very good and widely applicable. I find Telco's solution great for due diligence, for example.

You'll run massively out of time if you read a case study in the exam, think, "Hmm, that sounds a bit like the situation they had in Locust Coffee", go find the Locust Coffee case, copy out a bit, worry about what's different... you see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

That's the approach I'm taking too - I've been filing helpful solutions as I go along as having all the case studies in one folder is no help, the likelihood of you looking at them is slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Only bring in individual pages that you think were very good and widely applicable. I find Telco's solution great for due diligence, for example.
    You'll run massively out of time if you read a case study in the exam, think, "Hmm, that sounds a bit like the situation they had in Locust Coffee", go find the Locust Coffee case, copy out a bit, worry about what's different... you see what I mean.

Personally don't think its a good strategy. The cases are written by the institute. They're going to recognise solutions taken from study cases and they have specifically given out about it in the exam reports. By all means use them as a guide, but personally I think the majority of people will be flicking to cases and so majority of answers will be similar.

My experience with institute exams is that there isn't enough time to spend with notes anyway, so you should be aiming to treat it as much like a closed book exam as possible, then if you do get stuck, flick to your notes.
    Just my tuppence worth! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

just put them in alpha order.... if theres an area your stuck on can got to it... hopefully won't need them but no point thinking i wish i had them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the west

you could not have said a truer word....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Solutions are good for things like format and layout so I'd definitely bring them as insurance. But I think it's a big no no regarding any attempt to copy a narrative type answer from the solutions. As mentioned above, the Institute wrote them and will spot it a mile away. I relied on this technique a bit too much at CAP 2, thinking I was being really clever and it nearly cost me. Instead, have a quick reference and build your own unique answer from there.

What happens if on the off chance an industry comes up where you actually know something relevant to the real world. Should you bother even mentioning it or will the institute be retarded and say because the info isn't in the case its not relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Are the sample papers worth doing or are they just going to make me stressed because they are too difficult!??

This time next week ill be getting up for and study free!! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

luco123 wrote: »
    Are the sample papers worth doing or are they just going to make me stressed because they are too difficult!??

I really regret attempting them as they totally knocked my confidence, but you may find something useful in there. Up to you really.

Maybe just give yourself 30 min to read them then give yourself time to briefly plan your ans then look at solution! I wouldn't go doing every case in detail because you may feel demotived after I certainly did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭luco123

Thanks guys ill prob just read the case and answers.

Keep positive everyone were nearly there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

If your only given half year or 3/4 year projections and asked to work out potential cost savings always remember to annualise up to 12 months. Central City Colleges a good example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 LR987654

is the aafrp book a good book for reviewing the fin reporting?

Advertisement