Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

ah he has some notes, im a repeater and he has helped me no end.

on a different note - any word on the free drinks or we not allowed any this year lol
    recession and that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

So guys how many indicators do you reckon for the first paper on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

okdune wrote: »
    So guys how many indicators do you reckon for the first paper on Tuesday?

8 -6 big and 2 okish

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

What is the maximum about of indicators they can put on the Comprehensive paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cat2011

At the Grinds Liam said that we are unlikely to get a massive ABC calc, but he covered it anyway! ABC is not difficult folks, just time consuming so for that reason I personally doubt a big ABC calc will come up. Be able to discuss the pros and cons of costing systems, as boring as it is. Gawd the whole fricking course is boring and sucking the life clean out of me. Roll on Thursday evening so that I can get back to my real life of being a secret international crime fighter (and part time artist).

RE: Pros and Cons of costing systems - have you just got these from the textbook? do you mean just ABC, Traditional costing, target costing etc? Im really worried about mgmt! Havent got very good notes on any of these. aaahhh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

cat2011 wrote: »
    RE: Pros and Cons of costing systems - have you just got these from the textbook? do you mean just ABC, Traditional costing, target costing etc? Im really worried about mgmt! Havent got very good notes on any of these. aaahhh!

Yep that's basically what I mean. When would you use one over another, how easy is it to implement a specific system bla bla. All in the notes and books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Check my notes labelled 4.

That has costing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Were the annotated candidate solutions for last year's paper ever released? Anybody have these?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

Never came across them

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cat2011

Yep that's basically what I mean. When would you use one over another, how easy is it to implement a specific system bla bla. All in the notes and books.

Thanks ill try and put some notes together this eve. Was going to watch X Factor but looks like itll be mgmt instead! Any other notes/ adv/disadv things i should have for mgmt? For variances, can you really prepare anything or just depends what comes up on the day for analysis really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

How are people going to use the half hour reading time for the sims? 10 minutes a qn is not enough to get through reading them.

This is my fifth attempt at the faes between the old and the new syllabus. Failed on PM last year so at my wits end for tactics to approach the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Fair play to you for sticking at it mate - I don't have the mental capacity for handling more than 1 sim at a time so I'm going to read and plan the biggest sim in the 30 mins reading and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

I was thinking read the shortest first just make few notes, then read longest, plan and answer... leave one for during the exam...

Same as for elective, I'm taking 15/20 minutes reading/planning time per sim. May seem excessive but better than rushing the last one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

Think I'll read them all in the reading time and jot down the main things I spot as I go, think it's good to read them all because if there's something in one of them you're not too keen on you can be thinking about it as you go along to see if anything comes to mind.

I know you need to focus on one indicator at a time but I think if you come across a really tricky indicator at the end of the paper or in the middle you might panic so better to be mentally prepared for whats coming!

I read the cases at least twice in the mocks so think a quick scan in the reading time and then hopefully get back to the first case within that time for a full detailed read!

A half an hour reading for the sims/elective is ridiculous but sure what can we do :(

Have no technique for planning an answer which worries me more. I think I'll just dive in to my answer and leave enough space at the end of each indicator to come back and add to it if I come across something else applicable, is that a ridiculous plan or anyone have an approach I could adopt??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

How are people going to use the half hour reading time for the sims? 10 minutes a qn is not enough to get through reading them.

This is my fifth attempt at the faes between the old and the new syllabus. Failed on PM last year so at my wits end for tactics to approach the paper!

I'm considering taking the longest sim (say it's 90 mins) and use full 30 mins reading time on this, finding indicators, laying out answer, ready to rock, then aim to knock 10 mins off the allocated time allowing an extra 5 mins for each of other 2 sims. Is this the master tactic?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

Anyone else as nervous as hell?!!

Despite the fact I've been studying forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 faer2203

Sounds like a stupid question, but is the suggested time for each sim written on the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

faer2203 wrote: »
    Sounds like a stupid question, but is the suggested time for each sim written on the paper?

It is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

Elle2012 wrote: »
    Anyone else as nervous as hell?!!

Despite the fact I've been studying forever!!
    anyone any ideas to calm the nerves they are bad now god knows what theyll be like come tuesday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

I gave up on dusk-til-dawn Saturday study and I'm watching The Hunger Games with a beer.

May the odds be ever in our favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

WeeDeee wrote: »
    anyone any ideas to calm the nerves they are bad now god knows what theyll be like come tuesday!!!
    Bottle of rescue remedy!!! That or nerve tablets from health shop worked for the Cap 2's for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

louise1985 wrote: »
    Bottle of rescue remedy!!! That or nerve tablets from health shop worked for the Cap 2's for me!!

Rescue Remedy has been proven in tests to have only a placebo effect...

We're all going to be nervous going into Day 1 and anyone that says they aren't is lying. I usually feel sick in the morning before the exam but once I start beating away into the paper and writing, the nerves subside.

BESman wrote: »
    Rescue Remedy has been proven in tests to have only a placebo effect...

You've just blown it for all the believers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

Financial reporting and journals how can I best prepared for this ?

ok so this is my plan.. let me know any thoughts or ideas please.. for the core comp paper i am planning to as i read through the case highlight with a different colour of highlighter every indicator i come across and any relevant points that may relate to that indicator throughout the rest of the case study. when the reading time is up write each indicator into my planning section and under each the relevant points relating to each ie specific facts from the case. i found in the mock exam i kept re reading the cases a number of times which proved time consuming.. might need about eight different highlighters though!! there seems to be quite a bit of waffle in some of the cases so this would limit u from reading all that again..

mrduffy wrote: »
    Financial reporting and journals how can I best prepared for this ?
    try the financial reporting derry cotter toolkit it has a section at the front with all the specific ias/ifrs to each question i found it really useful

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dee29

The attached notes have a good example of company valuation - 4 methods page 36

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EruditeApe

I spent about 45 minutes reading the questions before starting them last year. The examiner wants to see well planned and considered responses to questions in the exam. If you look at the past sample solutions you'll see that sometimes the top scoring marks are those that are most concise and to the point. It can be tempting to spend as much time writing as possible but it'll go against you if it's not relevant.

So make sure you spend plenty time just planning it out and considering your response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

EruditeApe wrote: »
    I spent about 45 minutes reading the questions before starting them last year. The examiner wants to see well planned and considered responses to questions in the exam. If you look at the past sample solutions you'll see that sometimes the top scoring marks are those that are most concise and to the point. It can be tempting to spend as much time writing as possible but it'll go against you if it's not relevant.

So make sure you spend plenty time just planning it out and considering your response.

So you'd suggest about 45 min planning time? I was thinking the same! If you rush straight in you could end up writing an indicator out that's not relevant! I did that in the mock I thought there was a Cor Gov indicator when I had just read the case wrong! If I have planned and read the case again that wouldn't of happened!

About the nerves, I bought rescue remedy yesterday and nearly have half the bottle gone already! Might try the calming tablets but don't want to be stoned going in!

Advertisement