Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

What are people eating for breakfast tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

BESman wrote: »

Muesli,fruit,toast,berocca

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

BESman wrote: »

prob cereal... generally feel sick morning of exams so not expecting tomor to be any different... will take in somethin small to eat... fruit, cereal bar. going to try limit the fluids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

Just a quick question on the rough work pages to the left of each answer page.

Can I do my planning and calculations for each indicator in here, for example journal entry work ect, and will these be considered in marking the exam. For instance if you had to do a NPV calculation or prepare a budget? Instead of leaving an appendix at the back of the answer booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HVAN

Are people doing much today? I've lost all motivation for anymore study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 LR987654

HVAN wrote: »
    Are people doing much today? I've lost all motivation for anymore study

Just organizing notes, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Dee29

levi wrote: »
    Can someone stick up that PQA doc? I had it but now I can't seem to put my hand on it, want to make sure there's nothing it I need for tomorrow that's not in my notes already. Thanks :)

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whytenc

Eiriu wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the rough work pages to the left of each answer page.

Can I do my planning and calculations for each indicator in here, for example journal entry work ect, and will these be considered in marking the exam. For instance if you had to do a NPV calculation or prepare a budget? Instead of leaving an appendix at the back of the answer booklet?

Yeah thtas what I am planning to do and marking each as Appendix 1 etc....think it will make easier to layout and plan the answer. did it in mocks and everything got corrected ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

whytenc wrote: »
    Yeah thtas what I am planning to do and marking each as Appendix 1 etc....think it will make easier to layout and plan the answer. did it in mocks and everything got corrected ok.

I asked Paul Monahan about where to put the appendices.
    He said they can go anywhere in the booklet ie don't have to go in the back. Can go before or after your narrative for the indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Muesli,fruit,toast,berocca

Nothing.
    Intermittant Fasting ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

Good luck to everyone this week,thanks for all the tips,advice,notes from you all over the past three months! One last tip for tomorrow,write the words conclude/recommend at the top of your paper and exam booklet and highlight them,remember not concluding can drop you to rc\nc and all your hard work will go to waste :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

Good luck to everyone this week,thanks for all the tips,advice,notes from you all over the past three months! One last tip for tomorrow,write the words conclude/recommend at the top of your paper and exam booklet and highlight them,remember not concluding can drop you to rc\nc and all your hard work will go to waste :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭froggatt2011

Hi guys
    Just came across this article on valuations (saddo that I am, I am reading their magazine!) and found this interesting wee table in relation to the much pondered multiples. I just had to share with you all :D

Size of Business Large (15m profit +) : Suggested Multiple 6 - 8
    Medium to Large (10-15m profit) : 5 - 6
    Medium (5-10m) : 4 - 6
    Small to Medium (1-5m): 3 - 6
    Small (<1m): 2 - 4
    Very small: may not have a value

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FAE_UCH

Hi guys
    Just came across this article on valuations (saddo that I am, I am reading their magazine!) and found this interesting wee table in relation to the much pondered multiples. I just had to share with you all :D

Size of Business Large (15m profit +) : Suggested Multiple 6 - 8
    Medium to Large (10-15m profit) : 5 - 6
    Medium (5-10m) : 4 - 6
    Small to Medium (1-5m): 3 - 6
    Small (<1m): 2 - 4
    Very small: may not have a value

Is that multiples of EBITDA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 123_kid

One of my colleagues knows PM quite well.

He says to brush up on Lagrange multipliers in advance of tomorrow. Could easily make up part of a CPL question.

FAE_UCH wrote: »
    Is that multiples of EBITDA?

Oops sorry - the multiples are applied to future annual maintainable profits (PBT - see profit amounts above). Consider future risk to profits (currencies, sectoral risk, general risk) and any one off cost/revenues in the year when calculating maintainable profits.

123_kid wrote: »
    One of my colleagues knows PM quite well.

He says to brush up on Lagrange multipliers in advance of tomorrow. Could easily make up part of a CPL question.

800px-LagrangeMultipliers3D.png

Really?
    :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multiplier

ferike1 wrote: »

Lol I guess I forgot to revise that

In brilliant bee, outside of where it say Catherine wants to get rich quick, where else was there a ref. to an IPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 123_kid

Yeh, he said to have a look at Lagrange. Basically revision from college.

Just had a look over my mock script and the left hand side could be used as graph paper so should be fine.

If you get contribution per limiting factor with 2 constraints just need to map both and see where they meet in the middle.

I assume if it comes up we will only need to estimate the figure. Would be too hard if required to get a precise amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

LR987654 wrote: »
    In brilliant bee, outside of where it say Catherine wants to get rich quick, where else was there a ref. to an IPO?

Second last paragraph from the end of the first page

'making it the first of many axquisitions she has planned once she gets a listing (which she believes is straighforward)'

figrolls wrote: »

'making it the first of many axquisitions she has planned once she gets a listing (which she believes is straighforward)'

That is what really annoys me. They basically throw in one line you can easily miss and it becomes a whole indicator. And then something that seems to be a recurring theme throughout the whole case isn't an indicator. lol

That isn't lagrange multipliers. It's far more straightforward than that. It's basic graph functions.

figrolls wrote: »

cheers, missed that and I focused on your man's conflict of interest 'working there and selling a company to them' which didn't show up as a indicator.

INSIDER TRADING!

INSIDER TRADING!

shocking case study, where was the indicator for the standard costing system, that generic paragraph about who they keep books and records in excel?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

I hate the way deferred tax just sneaks up on ya! Any easy ways to remember when to account for deferred tax? I know revaluations Any others?

Hey guys

I was just revising ratios there and in the sheet for certain ratios it has averages. So like Debtor days would be average debtors for the year (Opening + closing)/2 or average capital employed etc.
    Would that be acceptable by the institute? It does seem to make more sense than just taking the year end figure...

Ex 88 wrote: »
    I hate the way deferred tax just sneaks up on ya! Any easy ways to remember when to account for deferred tax? I know revaluations Any others?

Deposit interest
    Accrued pension payments (as only deductible when paid)
    Inventory revaluations
    When NBV and TWDV of an asset are different.
    Increases in general bad debt provisions.

On my summary notes I have in big capital letters.

ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR DEFERRED FSCKING TAX! to remind me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

Deposit interest
    Accrued pension payments (as only deductible when paid)
    Inventory revaluations
    When NBV and TWDV of an asset are different.
    Increases in general bad debt provisions.

On my summary notes I have in big capital letters.

ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR DEFERRED FSCKING TAX! to remind me :D

losses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

That's great thanks I just did the same!

About the ratios that does seem a good idea, maybe calculate both if you've time! I'm sure if assumptions stated you'll be fine

Advertisement