Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Siobhang4

I'm going to sign off for now.. best of luck everyone and thanks for all the invaluable help... hopefully its done the trick and we won't be meeting back here again next year.. will be back on thur for the postmortem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

Hey guys,

Best of luck this week x

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭MPBC123

Best of luck to everyone over the next 3 days! Lets hope all the hard work will pay off!! Roll on 5.30 thursday!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

okdune wrote: »
    Good luck everyone!!!

Best of luck everyone!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Good luck to everyone!
    St Joseph of Cupertino and St Martin pray for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Good luck to everyone!
    St Joseph of Cupertino and St Martin pray for us!

AMEN

I think this is all the inspiration we need guys

1325804252473265.png

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

Looks like I'm first off the mark.

Tax: None.
    Audit: Loss of audit exemption plus non-audit services.
    IMP: #1: IP protection
    #2: Knowledge management system
    Finance: Company valuation.
    BL: #1: Marketing
    #2: Strategic match
    PM (Mgt Acc): Customer profitability analysis.
    PM (FR): Intangible assets.

Additionally we were asked about capitalising acquisition costs, which I'm not sure was a full indicator because there's hardly anything to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Additionally we were asked about capitalising acquisition costs, which I'm not sure was a full indicator because there's hardly anything to say about it.

Yep the same. Thank god! How did you go about the knowledge management and CPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭funkymonkey9

Saw nothing on Imp so guessing that's a red for me already

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

IMP was awful I didn't have a clue pure waffle! Do u think that they will treat the IMp today as one indicator? Hopefully there will be another imp indicator tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

IMP was awful I didn't have a clue pure waffle! Do u think that they will treat the IMp today as one indicator? Hopefully there will be another imp indicator tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

tough day at the office

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Acc7777

Ex 88 wrote: »

Yeah not clear if that was 1 or 2 indicators.

Gonna be absolutely gutted if they included a sneaky tax indicator after putting in that scope out line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I spend way too much time planning and got caught for time. Imp I just mentioned about data protection and waffle about intellectual property rights, will need a good imp indicator 2moro.

Financial reporting. There was also an issue with reinstatement of costs previously expensed, these shouldn't have been capitalised in 2010 and a p/y adjustment needed IAS 8 material. Amortisation had to be adjusted aswell.

Didn't get nearly enough of what I wanted down, hope they see that I spend a bit of time plaaning in my rough work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dogshow87

Stategic sense of acquisition
    Accounting treatment of intangibles
    Valuation of the Company
    Treatment of restructing costs and acquisition costs
    Customer profitability analysis
    Thoughts on marketing plan and whether to introduce formal marketing plan
    How management can manage, protect and share key knowledge
    Ethical considerations in relation to fees and non audit services

I spend way too much time planning and got caught for time. Imp I just mentioned about data protection and waffle about intellectual property rights, will need a good imp indicator 2moro.

Financial reporting. There was also an issue with reinstatement of costs previously expensed, these shouldn't have been capitalised in 2010 and a p/y adjustment needed IAS 8 material. Amortisation had to be adjusted aswell.

Didn't get nearly enough of what I wanted down, hope they see that I spend a bit of time plaaning in my rough work.

i went with amortisation being an estimate so not prior period adjustment other than the 450k. you likely right tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PattyMayo

Hi,
    I am repeating the audit elective and I was just wondering what Audit issues came up on the paper today??

Tax has to come up tomorrow. I saw nothing there on tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

ferike1 wrote: »

Agreed - they can't say "don't look at tax at all" and have a tax indicator. God knows what was going on with IMP... Or that customer profitabiliy for that matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Acc7777

ferike1 wrote: »

How many indicators tomorrow? Something like 10 to 13 right? Last 2 years there were 3 tax indicators.

PattyMayo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am repeating the audit elective and I was just wondering what Audit issues came up on the paper today??

ethical standards

Anyone mention that they could do with a marketing manager and Ken Stanley could be the man?

So much to get through. Barely got a chance to look through notes. I think I'll need a big day tomorrow to pull this out of the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Anyone mention that they could do with a marketing manager and Ken Stanley could be the man?

So much to get through. Barely got a chance to look through notes. I think I'll need a big day tomorrow to pull this out of the bag

Ah good recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Got those all bar IMP knowledge management? What's that about hopefully I mentioned something about it without knowing!

I also put in some change management re the acquisition - waste of time then I take it!

Not sure of the quality of my answers though. Think my ias parts where sketchy!
    Gonna hit the tax hard this evening!

What valuation range did u get for the company? Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lala1987

just wondering what FR people saw and how treated - do we expect it tomor?

I hadn't time to do that indicator on strategic sense of acquisition, just mentioned synergies and culture fit in some indicator as a line. Got green in BL last year aswell so annoying, just have to do better 2moro.

Realistic you haven't time to fart in these exams let alone look through notes/re read case.

Yep the same. Thank god! How did you go about the knowledge management and CPA.

Knowledge management I did hardly anything cause I only realised really late in the game it was an indicator. Threw in a couple of things from here there and everywhere plus data protection.

CPA - scoped out amortisation of intangible assets from the stream that didn't use CONNECT, reassigning them to the other streams, and changed customer numbers to average of the period. Then I did a tiny bit of analysis based on the findings - essentially that the one making a small loss per customer should be worked on further for a few reasons and they should consider getting rid of the one with a larger loss per customer.

Today was a day I was very glad I brought everything! Needed the IMP book badly for software patents. And I had no idea about loss of audit exemption for a parent/sub until I looked in the 'powers and duties of companies' directive.

@supernova: only 2 BL indics today so not a big deal if one of them went badly I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Got those all bar IMP knowledge management? What's that about hopefully I mentioned something about it without knowing!

I also put in some change management re the acquisition - waste of time then I take it!

Not sure of the quality of my answers though. Think my ias parts where sketchy!
    Gonna hit the tax hard this evening!

What valuation range did u get for the company? Anyone?

Knowledge management was their new intranet for sharing info better and their agreement that they needed to be better at capturing, storing, protecting and sharing data.

I'm sure the change management stuff you put down will count towards the strategic fit indicator.

Valuation range was something like 1.8m to 3.5m (adjusted net assets to 10xEBITDAx60%)

Advertisement