Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

So if you went for participation exemption you're wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ex 88

So if you went for participation exemption you're wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I hope it means you are RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

This is my third attempt and I think I did **** yet again! Wonder is there any point in begging in the email to say go easy on me
    cause I have done them so many times!

If anything I'm getting worse not better! FML

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

This is my third attempt and I think I did **** yet again! Wonder is there any point in begging in the email to say go easy on me
    cause I have done them so many times!

If anything I'm getting worse not better! FML

Same as urself saint. Thought I did better last year if I'm honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

Did anyone else miss ethics? :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lala1987

I no where suppose to no everything and write our assumptions in the exam but with time pressure etc. and the ARBITRARINESS of the writing of the papers i think there should be a day were we get a chance to argue or points and they specifically point out in a book or something where ur wrong - only way will be fair!!!!

EveT wrote: »

as in yesterday or today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    I don't think they have been sneaky. It said explicitly "no development potential". And a building does not equal land. I would be extremely surprised if participation exemption does not apply.

I think even where participation exemption did not apply the share sale was still the better option as there was a minimal enough CGT charge where relief was not available.

Think share sale was better because after all liabilities had been discharged from proceeds received for the asset and taxes paid on extraction there was less than the offer for the shares. The share offer seriously undervalued the business though so I argued for a higher bid.

lala1987 wrote: »

as in yesterday or today?
    Today...

• Advertisement

Today...

crap - where was it?? like saw it yest but not today

Today...

I totally missed it, the not paying the paye to run the business apparently

But what about profit on disposal of the business?

The building was worth 15280 and was being sold for 21m that is a profit of 6m.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

feirke I had deliberate behaviour at first but I think I put a line true it so could they still give the marks since I mentioned it ?

oh well i discussed it under audit surely some markets allowed i honestly didnt think it was a separate indicator to the audit one...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

i threw in a corp governance issue there.

remuneration committee, weak internal control, no HR sector really, audit committee non exec directors.

may be bull

oh well i discussed it under audit surely some markets allowed i honestly didnt think it was a separate indicator to the audit one...

audit an ethics mesh together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Today...

I identified this as fraud more than ethics. There wasn't really a clear ethics indicator today was there?

Very few clear indicators today. Very obtuse paper

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

ferike1 wrote: »
    But what about profit on disposal of the business?

The building was worth 15280 and was being sold for 21m that is a profit of 6m.
    But then they have a co and no assets so have to liquidate and pay off the mortgage, was better value to sell shares

• Advertisement

Lads is it more common to fail on sufficiency or breadth/depth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I did the 3rd case first thank fcuk because wasn't gonna look at that last. Lots of BL today. I mentioned in Sim 3 to improve their organisation structure and went on about corporate governance for a bit here because none in any other case.
    Didn't mention fraud but more about an overhaul of the bonus structure and xr396 budget should be prepared monthly instead of once a year. Threw in a bit of tax here about not paying over tax on time and could trigger revenue audit, also a bit about duties to prepare proper books. IAS 20 re subsidies. Audit risk around bonuses.

Did sim 1 next. Took it as a finance idicator re evaluating 2 system. Change Mgt team waffle said Arnold should be the IT champion. Mentioned a few kpi's and threw in ZBB.

Sim 2 left till last and my tax was very generic. I mentioned that they could also set up another co and lob the valuable asset in here prob wrong tho. Said should accept share sale but very scratchy. HR issue said it's best to tell them by way of letter in a positive tone and said a board meeting should be called re stakeholder concerns. Mentioned 1

Overall very random.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

Just thinking re: tax indicator on sim 2.
    I said the S626B partic exemp was available on both the share sale and the subsequent cap distrub on liquidation following a prop sale.
    Was i RIGHT on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

No participation exemption re Mandalay as greater part of value derived from specified assets.

Even if they sold the company as going concern? I said that they should qualify for it if the acquirer was going to continue the trade. Feck it anyway.

Though that it was tough paper, the volume was beyond what I would have expected, like yesterday there seemed to be a lot of appendices and additional info. Good bit tougher than previous years all in all. I suppose they have to pass around 75% of people anyway (hopefully).

any ias 37 for providing for the unpaid tax liabilities at yer end. i picked it up as they never paid the tax on bonuses.

Szewinska wrote: »
    any ias 37 for providing for the unpaid tax liabilities at yer end. i picked it up as they never paid the tax on bonuses.

I said that too

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Anybody else mention that Mandalay was in breach of section 40 as was in net liability position? Just through in a quick note that they were and should call an egm within 28 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Did anyone notice that it didn't appear to be accounting for the bonus correctly as 6 months are in this year and 6 months are next year?

I said that as they hadn't accrued for 6 months of the bonus and tax at year end an adjustment was required and posted the journal. Then said if they didn't do it last year it'd be a material error and would have to be retrospectively fixed

figrolls wrote: »
    Anybody else mention that Mandalay was in breach of section 40 as was in net liability position? Just through in a quick note that they were and should call an egm within 28 days...

unbelievable call. you were clued in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

The amount of IMP over the 2 days was a bit ludicrous....even the narrative from the core case had an IT slant (software co). Seems a bit daft for an accounting qualification...I mean do they actually think we need a knowledge of IT systems more than we'll need an understanding of tax rules and reliefs once we're qualified.

Advertisement