Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

LR987654 wrote: »
    yep I did, auditors are required to report that stuff to the revenue when discovered.

Sugar.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

ferike1 wrote: »
    Wow supernova I really feel for you.

We can share ACCA notes next year :D

Don't think I'll be able to face another exam. As Danny Glover would say 'I'm getting too old for this sh1t'

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dogshow87

FAE4EVA wrote: »
    Anybody notice that there is dates on bottom of papers, 10th and 14th of august for two of them. Hmmm...

Ya, I seen that, I would imaging that was maybe when they were finalised or possibly printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LR987654

You're spot on I reckon.

I'm f..ked in that indicator.

really, that bonus is contingent on 12 mths of performance, employees still being there in June of the following year.
    that is a b*llsh*t indicator if it is in there as you would need some decent analysis to work out the probability of that being payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dogshow87

LR987654 wrote: »
    really, that bonus is contingent on 12 mths of performance, employees still being there in June of the following year.
    that is a b*llsh*t indicator if it is in there as you would need some decent analysis to work out the probability of that being payable.

I think that whole case was BS, definitely the main reason I could fail this exam. All we can do is be positive I suppose at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 limklass2011

Dogshow87 wrote: »
    That last case was badly laid out and hard to actually understand exactly what was being asked, shame that I done it last. In my opinion the language used was very high level, no need for that level in my opinion. Fairly sick after it. I really feel this exam is more a critical thinking assessment than anything. I don't really think that this is the best way to decide whether an individual is a competent accountant. I feel like its down to fine margins on the day rather than the months of study. Can't do anything about it now, whats done is done.

Hard to study after that exam but all eyes towards the finish tomorrow with audit:

Internal Controls
    Going Concern
    Related Parties
    Service organisations
    Financial Reporting

Hopefully all the case studies I have done will be of more significance than it was for the core. Suppose it couldn't be any less significance anyway.

I attended the CGS this year and what yer man Dave O D recommended we know is the following,
    Ethical Stds
    ISA 250 Laws and Reg
    Reports
    ISA 560 PBSE
    Going Concern
    Fraud
    Groups

Of course dont be surprised if none of the above come up at same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lar05

6 months

You can do in December and June

Max 3 exams one sitting.

where did u see what ACCA exams we would have to do to qualify? i think im gona contact them and see how to go about it. these exams are just ridiculous, u could spend all year studying these again and on the day not get through due to the exam format!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

lar05 wrote: »
    6 months

You can do in December and June

Max 3 exams one sitting.

where did u see what ACCA exams we would have to do to qualify? i think im gona contact them and see how to go about it. these exams are just ridiculous, u could spend all year studying these again and on the day not get through due to the exam format!!

Let me know what they tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I don't know how I know I just do lol.

3 exams per sitting

3 core exams and 2 electives.

Ha you guys were saying complain to your L&D departments,

They would just laugh and think I didn't study enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

I thought it was PM and that there was
    IAS 20 Grants
    IAS 37 Provisions
    IAS 8 Accounting estimates, errors and policies

Because
    The year end was 31/12/2011 in SIM 3 but the bonus was for 1 July 2010 - 31/June/2011.
    They said the only accrual they had at year end was the december payroll.
    So I thought that seeing as though the bonus is based on call response times every day, that 6 months of the bonus that will be paid on 1 July 2012 relates to 2011 and so per IAS 37 a provision needs to be made in the Dec 2011 accounts for the 6 months July - Dec 2011

dr IS Bonus
    Cr SOFP Bonus

Then assuming they did it incorrectly in the prior year, it would constitute a PY error and retrospective adjustment required.

Good spot - missed that :(, did it say the only accrual was December payroll tax though? Thought that was more to point out that there was no July payroll tax accrual, not to say that the bonus wasn't being accrued for.

To me it looked like they did not pay the ee share of paye, USC and prsi

Therefore dr wages and credit tax due to revenue and the another dr for penalties and cr amounts due to rev.

Also said we need to test for er share of prsi. The fact that december only payroll was ok and paid in jan is irrelevant as he never booked the 300 odd k from the bonus. Went on about penalties, directors resposponsibilities, speaking to legal, reporting to third parties. To be honest there was a number of issues so if you addressed them then be grand.

The boss wanted to know three specific things in the audit memo, the indicators will just fall in behind it

Distinct lack of reo49...

Nom-IzZ wrote: »
    IAS 20 Grants
    IAS 37 Provisions

Because
    The year end was 31/12/2011 in SIM 3 but the bonus was for 1 July 2010 - 31/June/2011.
    So I thought that seeing as though the bonus is based on call response times every day, that 6 months of the bonus that will be paid on 1 July 2012 relates to 2011 and so per IAS 37 a provision needs to be made in the Dec 2011 accounts for the 6 months July - Dec 2011

dr IS Bonus
    Cr SOFP Bonus

Then assuming they did it incorrectly in the prior year, it would constitute a PY error and retrospective adjustment required.

Good spot - missed that :(, did it say the only accrual was December payroll tax though? Thought that was more to point out that there was no July payroll tax accrual, not to say that the bonus wasn't being accrued for.

Therefore dr wages and credit tax due to revenue and the another dr for penalties and cr amounts due to rev.

Also said we need to test for er share of prsi. The fact that december only payroll was ok and paid in jan is irrelevant as he never booked the 300 odd k from the bonus. Went on about penalties, directors resposponsibilities, speaking to legal, reporting to third parties. To be honest there was a number of issues so if you addressed them then be grand.

The boss wanted to know three specific things in the audit memo, the indicators will just fall in behind it

The three things being...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

tt1 wrote: »
    Fair play supernova 3 times is some committment!! This is my first time and if things dont go right i ll defo move to acca!!

It's harder to move the further you get. Got my elective the first year and thought feck it I'll do the core again, then went down on finance last year, then a made a decision do 5 ACCA's or have one final crack at fae.

My advise to anybody starting out would be do ACCA. At the end of the day there's little different between the two and if anything ACCA is more widely recognised if you want to work abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

so deflated after today!!! pure bull! honestly cannot understand this crap anymore.... its so far fetched!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

If I go down in audit or tax or finance all they have to do is look at my cap2 results ! and pass me when they sit down

mrduffy wrote: »
    If I go down in audit or tax or finance all they have to do is look at my cap2 results ! and pass me when they sit down

well if they do that we all have just the same right to pass!!
    anything over 50 is a waste but i do see your point!

Nom-IzZ wrote: »
    IAS 20 Grants
    IAS 37 Provisions

Because

dr IS Bonus
    Cr SOFP Bonus

The three things being...?
    Don't make me pull out the paper :)

1 was something about the issue of the bonus as I say it, then the next step for the company then the actions required for the audit firm

2 was something about adjustments required

3 was something about how the firm should approach this and the relationship with the client?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

If you made a complete balls of Sim 3 (which seems to have caused difficulty for a lot of people here) how good are one's chances... Think I'll be here next year.

IAS 20 specifically states that IAS 8 comes into play when a grant is repayable

• Advertisement

but it doesnt tell us whether they wrongly accounted for the grant in 2010 ??
    did say they received it in 2011 but not if they accounted for it.
    i can see your point and im probably just digging myself out of a hole because i f'd up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Elle2012

What's so disheartening is that you could spend another summer studying and be on the same boat next yr!

The amount of study put into preparing for these exams is absolutely unreal- I felt what i put down the last 2 days was no reflection of what I actually know

IAS 20 specifically states that IAS 8 comes into play when a grant is repayable

Yeah I know that but it's February 2012 and we're auditing the 2011 draft financial statements. You spot that a condition of a subsidy has been breached in late 2011 and nothing's been done in the financial statements. Just do a journal and fix the accounts. They're draft accounts. I don't see how IAS 8 is relevant? The caveat is that I'm not an auditor so I could be wrong. I just can't see it being a PM indicator. Yes it relates to a government grant but it's only peripherally related to IAS 20. "We got a grant years ago but have to keep 200 employees. In 2011 we lost 56. What do we do?" "Dr P&L Cr Bank/Payables"
    That point was more of any audit area, we were asked to identify other issues by the partner, eg going concern, adverse opinion, increase in testing due to poor internal controls and also need to review the reasonableness that the grant may be repaid given the pressure the business is under, the may have lost x ee but it did not say if any were gained, I firmly believe it was an audit issue rather then a pm issue

Honest to God. We are all struggling here. How the hell do 75% pass core???

aww god knows. sick to back teeth...

I really have to stop thinking about this because I am just getting more and more angry at the probable thought of repeating.

aww im not repeating!! past caring. this is my second time - enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Accounts Student

Actually on second look it does say that he looked at the accrual at year end for payroll taxes...but wouldnt they have to accrue for taxes on 6 months of the bonus too?

Yea - I think your right. Didn't think of that either. :(

- but normally C is just "makes a reasonable effort at journals" or something of the like - so even if you neglected that I think your ok as you got that far!

Someone mentioned there couldn't be 6 PM (INCL AAFRP). Well there were six PM and six BL in 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nightpark

Farce that there was so little tax and finance. The amount of time I spent on tax and fr is a joke. No point studying for these exams at all.

Advertisement