Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Bed Apartments in Dublin

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Is it me or are 1 bed apartments pretty much the same price as 2 bed? I mean decent ones now. I'm looking for one of my own and all the nicely-sized apts hover around 750pm-850pm, it's crazy! What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Always depends on the area and quality but yeah, good, nice location one beds seem to be around the price you mention, with 2 beds around 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Rent allowance drives up the price of properties at the lower end. It leads to the strange situation where someone on the dole can afford to rent a place on their own, while a low paid worker has no choice but to house-share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

hmmm wrote: »
    Rent allowance drives up the price of properties at the lower end. It leads to the strange situation where someone on the dole can afford to rent a place on their own, while a low paid worker has no choice but to house-share.

To be fair, although that's a line that gets trotted out every time rent prices are discussed I don't think it's true to the same extent in Dublin as the rest of the country. Go on to Daft & look at house shares & apartment lettings. Then narrow your search to the number that accept rent allowance. Notice a difference? That's right, a huge fall in the numbers available. Rent allowance isn't accepted by a large number of landlords in Dublin, even less so in "desirable" areas, so it can be more or less excluded as a factor in the prices charged for apartments whose owners don't take it.

While I've no problem believing that outside the Pale, where "ghost estates" abound rent allowance probably is preventing a lower floor on rental prices being reached since landlords there would be far more desperate for tenants, I just don't see it being anywhere near as big a factor in Dublin. There's enough people willing to pay €850 for a 1 bed apartment in the capital regardless of social welfare recipients, so a lowering of rent allowances won't have any dramatic effect (at least outside of those areas with a higher concentration of rent allowance recipients).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Custardpi wrote: »
    To be fair, although that's a line that gets trotted out every time rent prices are discussed I don't think it's true to the same extent in Dublin as the rest of the country. Go on to Daft & look at house shares & apartment lettings. Then narrow your search to the number that accept rent allowance. Notice a difference? That's right, a huge fall in the numbers available. Rent allowance isn't accepted by a large number of landlords in Dublin, even less so in "desirable" areas, so it can be more or less excluded as a factor in the prices charged for apartments whose owners don't take it.

While I've no problem believing that outside the Pale, where "ghost estates" abound rent allowance probably is preventing a lower floor on rental prices being reached since landlords there would be far more desperate for tenants, I just don't see it being anywhere near as big a factor in Dublin. There's enough people willing to pay €850 for a 1 bed apartment in the capital regardless of social welfare recipients, so a lowering of rent allowances won't have any dramatic effect (at least outside of those areas with a higher concentration of rent allowance recipients).

Wrong, very wrong. Rent Supplement tenants can be long term in the same accommodation for years, thats why you do not see the expected amount of adverts. Its proven that Rent Supplement controls 50% of the private rental market.

Advertisement