Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry's chocolate orange ice cream!

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Guys santa brought me an ice cream maker and I have a chocolate orange here.

how do I accomplish this surely amazing feat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Huh? Can you be a bit more specific?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Step 1. Eat the chocolate orange
    Step 2. Get recipes for ice-cream and realise you'll need a lot more than a Terry's Chocolate Orange to make chocolate orange ice-cream

You wouldn't use something like a chocolate orange to make ice-cream. At best, you could keep a few segments to break into chips to add to the ice cream. Here's an example of a recipe for orange ice-cream: http://www.joyofbaking.com/OrangeIceCream.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Well that is altogether disappointing!

I was really hoping someone would just tell me to melt the chocolate and add double cream, put it in my ice cream maker and enjoy the orange-chocolaty deliciousness! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Once you'd make a basic custard for the ice cream you could add the chocolate orange while it was still hot to melt it, then cool the custard and make your icecream. That's how I make chocolate icecream, orange and chocolate should be no different. Could add a drop of orange essence too if you wanted.

Found this on the net for anyone who is interested! I think ill give it a go tomorrow and ill post results!

Ingredients

2 egg yolks
    50g caster sugar
    rind & juice of 1 orange
    175g terrys chocolate orange - chopped
    1/2 pt single cream
    1/2 pt whipped cream
    orange rind (decoration - not really needed)
    Method

beat yolks, sugar and orange rind 2gether. melt chocolate (terrys aii) with the single cream in a heatproof bowl ova a pan of simmering water. pour over the egg mixture stiring vigorously, then return to the bowl and heat gently!! until thickened. add the orange juice and leave to cool.
    Fold in 3/4 of the whipped cream and turn into a 900ml loaf tin. cover with foil and freeze.

to serve... take out 30 mins b4 hand. use the rest of the whipped cream and orange rind for deco

• Advertisement

But you're putting into an icecream maker yeah?

Acoshla wrote: »
    But you're putting into an icecream maker yeah?

Yeah! That would be better yeah?

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Yeah! That would be better yeah?

Well, considering the original idea was because you got an ice cream maker? :D

If you make it the other way it'll be frozen yes, but icy and not nice like ice cream is. No need to whip cream if using ice cream maker I think.

No need to whip cream if using ice cream maker I think.

Ooh thanks for that, definitely wouldnt have know that one! Ok I will report back soon with the outcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Well, considering the original idea was because you got an ice cream maker? :D

If you make it the other way it'll be frozen yes, but icy and not nice like ice cream is. No need to whip cream if using ice cream maker I think.

So not using an Ice-cream maker will result in iciness?

Forgive my noobness, but this delicious thread is going on my watchlist. Kudos to you, OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

blackdog2 wrote: »
    So not using an Ice-cream maker will result in iciness?

Forgive my noobness, but this delicious thread is going on my watchlist. Kudos to you, OP!

Yeah bigger ice crystals will form, an ice cream maker keeps it moving so it doesn't have time to form them.

leahyl wrote: »

Banned!

:p

Should I use a full pint of single cream instead of the whipping cream then?

Usually ice cream recipes call for double cream, is it that the chocolate would be so thick already that this is not needed here??

I never use double cream, just use regular fresh cream, bog standard cream that isn't whipping/single/double etc. You can use single cream but people seem to have forgotten that fresh cream exists, always trying to decide between single and double! You don't need the extra butteryness that double has, and you don't need the extra stability to hold it's whip that double has, as neither affect the ice cream. It'll be more than rich enough with normal cream.

Thanks for that! I really need a good explanation on the differences and points of each cream in relation to making ice cream now that I seem to be sticking everything into my ice cream maker!! :D

Ok so I beat 2 egg yolks;
    added in an unmeasured amount of caster sugar;
    grated in some orange rind and mixed.

melted terry's chocolate orange (174g - I couldnt help myself ;) );
    added in the above orange mix;
    added in about 400ml of fresh cream;
    whisk whisk whisk (got a bit hairy after I added the egg mix to the chocolate as it all clumped together but it looks ok now)

and it is now in the fridge cooling for 30 mins and then in it goes to the ice cream maker so results within the next 2 hours or so!

Notes: Mixture is not looking very dark, its more like a white/orangy chocolate colour but the test is in the taste!

Well I'm afraid to report that it tasted AWFUL!

It was far too strong, I put in some orange rind and the juice of the orange and it just overpowered it. And I used fresh cream and that made the texture of the ice cream too creamy!

Ah well...

Why did you use an unmeasured amount of sugar? Sure nobody can tell you whether your ice cream would be good bad or otherwise without knowing measurements. Some of the ingredients you listed aren't exact, all which can affect the consistency. The amount of sugar can effect the freezing. Did you heat the cream before adding it?

If it was too creamy imagine what double cream would be like, and freezing always dulls the flavours so you can't judge that until the ice cream is made.

To be honest it's a bit of a half assed attempt at ice cream, are you actually following a/the recipe?

Not really! It was kind of a "throw it in the same bowl and it will all work out" type thing!

I wouldnt have been that far of 50g of caster sugar! I didnt heat the cream before throwing it in! I dunno, I need to start on some easy recipes first i think!

• Advertisement

Ok well you haven't made a custard without heating the cream, nothing would dissolve the sugar without that. You basically need to make a custard base first, which is egg yolks, sugar, add heated milk/cream, back into saucepan, heat gently, don't curdle, add flavourings, let cool, into ice cream maker. Chucking everything into a bowl and crossing your fingers is a waste of good ingredients.

Recipes exist for a reason, things like baking and ice cream making depend on each step to work properly, I just don't see why you'd think throwing them all in together will somehow make ice cream. In the long run following a recipe will be much easier and quicker than asking people online to correct each wrong step in a long line!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

What about a McFlurry-esque type thing? Make vanilla icecream and then slightly melt the chocolate orange, and then swirl the two together. NOM.

Advertisement