Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet broadband - wireless router

• 05-01-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

I'm based in Wexford and I have broadband with permanet. Have got fed up
    with cable from Arris modem to laptop so am looking to get a wireless option.
    Was on to permanet today and they say I have to get a wireless router and use it in addition to the existing Arris modem :mad:

They have suggested a Trendnet wireless router (which they can supply if I want). Anyone got any experience of Trendnet or indeed of any other brand
    and how did it all work out ok?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

It sounds (and from glancing at their website, looks) like you have a setup which is like that provided by Clearwire (Imagine), whereby they offer a no-phone-line-required broadband solution in the form of a router connected to your computer via an Ethernet cable.

If so, then it seems normal to need an additional wireless router as well as the existing router that you have. The router you already have is required because it is that which picks up the signal from Permanet, so, if you want to go wireless, you need to add in a router to disperse the signal that is being picked up by the Arris box.

I can see why this would :mad: you, because usually people only have to have one (wireless) router instead of two, but that is usually because people have DSL (phone line) based broadband, as opposed to thet provided by Permanet (or Clearwire etc. for that matter). It is because of the type of service they provide that you need an additional router, so don't fret it too much.

I welcome correction on this, but you should be able to use more or less any wireless router alongside the existing Arris router, in order to get a wireless signal, not necessarily the TrendNet one that they are recommending.

I am interested to know why you are fed up of the cable option? Is it because you are purely sick of the physical cable, or is it that the speed isn't fast enough? If it's the latter, then going wireless may not solve the problem. In fact, cable connections can often be more stable and slightly faster than wireless connections.

Sure let us know what your reasoning is and we can help you out a bit more :).

Ronan

Edit: In relation to the Clearwire situation that I experienced, the person used a Belkin router to make the signal wireless and it worked just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Ronan H wrote: »
    It sounds (and from glancing at their website, looks) like you have a setup which is like that provided by Clearwire (Imagine), whereby they offer a no-phone-line-required broadband solution in the form of a router connected to your computer via an Ethernet cable.

If so, then it seems normal to need an additional wireless router as well as the existing router that you have. The router you already have is required because it is that which picks up the signal from Permanet, so, if you want to go wireless, you need to add in a router to disperse the signal that is being picked up by the Arris box.

I can see why this would :mad: you, because usually people only have to have one (wireless) router instead of two, but that is usually because people have DSL (phone line) based broadband, as opposed to thet provided by Permanet (or Clearwire etc. for that matter). It is because of the type of service they provide that you need an additional router, so don't fret it too much.

I welcome correction on this, but you should be able to use more or less any wireless router alongside the existing Arris router, in order to get a wireless signal, not necessarily the TrendNet one that they are recommending.

I am interested to know why you are fed up of the cable option? Is it because you are purely sick of the physical cable, or is it that the speed isn't fast enough? If it's the latter, then going wireless may not solve the problem. In fact, cable connections can often be more stable and slightly faster than wireless connections.

Sure let us know what your reasoning is and we can help you out a bit more :).

Ronan

Edit: In relation to the Clearwire situation that I experienced, the person used a Belkin router to make the signal wireless and it worked just fine.

Thaanks for your reply. I want to go wireless purely to get away from cables and be able to be a bit more mobile with my laptop. The speed is not great but as you say I dont expect it to get any better with wireless option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any Wifi router will do. Avoid Belkin, chose Linksys, Netgear, D-Link or some other reputable name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Make sure you get a CABLE ROUTER,I had Permanet and used a Netgear Cable Router,worked fine.

Something like this will do (this particular one was over double the price a year ago)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255131/Trail/searchtext%3ECABLE+ROUTERS.htm

240-9255131SPA74UC714584M.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

zerks wrote: »
    Make sure you get a CABLE ROUTER

That is a good call, never thought of that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Ronan H wrote: »
    That is a good call, never thought of that!

I got a Netgear wireless N cable router in curry's, good value and no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

I get permanet myself and a new offer has come in with telephone and broadband bundle. I take it that I can use phone and laptop at same time in the house but am a bit wary of how it may affect the internet connection - especially when it is foggy - then it gets very dodgy.

permanet was a godsend from having to use the landline because trees on under the line were constantly leaving us without any service - trees were cut but are up again and the hassle of getting our neighbours to keep the trees low is a pain - quarter of a mile of them - so a combined phone and broadband bundle would be good.

has anyone experience of this service? does the weather affect anyones reception - ours comes from waterford now but the new one will be from cork.

any advice, thanks

bozd wrote: »
    I get permanet myself and a new offer has come in with telephone and broadband bundle. I take it that I can use phone and laptop at same time in the house but am a bit wary of how it may affect the internet connection - especially when it is foggy - then it gets very dodgy.

permanet was a godsend from having to use the landline because trees on under the line were constantly leaving us without any service - trees were cut but are up again and the hassle of getting our neighbours to keep the trees low is a pain - quarter of a mile of them - so a combined phone and broadband bundle would be good.

has anyone experience of this service? does the weather affect anyones reception - ours comes from waterford now but the new one will be from cork.

any advice, thanks

Permanets offices are in Cork,the service you receive is being beamed from a mast somewhere in your locality.Line of sight is important,make sure none of those trees are causing a problem.

thanks zerks, we are on forth mountain and the mast is in waterford but when the weather is bad so can be the broadband reception, just wondering will we take a gambe and get rid of landline - the line rental is a joke its so expensive.

bozd wrote: »
    thanks zerks, we are on forth mountain and the mast is in waterford but when the weather is bad so can be the broadband reception, just wondering will we take a gambe and get rid of landline - the line rental is a joke its so expensive.

Permanet have a mast on Forth Mountain that services the Wexford area,a hell of a lot nearer to you than Waterford,they have another mast on White Mountain also.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Permanet have a mast on Forth Mountain that services the Wexford area,a hell of a lot nearer to you than Waterford,they have another mast on White Mountain also.

yeah on the other side of the mountain to us:mad:

Advertisement