Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I recommend some plants to cheer you up in january

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hello , I was having a stroll around the garden with the little one and couldn't help noticing what plants were braving the elements and cheering up the garden.Number one at the moment would have to go to DAPHNE BHOLUA "jacqueline postill" which is trying to scent the whole garden. Also a plant which has been in flower since the begining of last year with gentian blue flowers is LITHODORA DIFFUSA "heavenly blue" which also happens to be a magnet for bees.Shining in the winter sun are the heathers and lastly the witch hazels and winter honeysuckles that also have a great scent to lift the spirits, whilst the sun is still low in the sky.What's flowering where you are? Roger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My garden had a complete makeover last year and there is not much established at the moment. Best is a yellow cytisus - not sure what variety but it has been in flower several months. Also some small cyclamens, a bit of berginia - I would like a more choice version of it, but it is great value in the winter in a very gloomy spot beside a north wall. And a winter heather, a big lilac coloured plant that looks very happy! And a very confused fuschia with a couple of flowers! Also a shrub that I have forgotten the name of - a small shrub with shiney, pointed dark green leaves that has small scented white winter flowers in the leaf axils, and eventually black berries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

We have two beautiful winter flowering cherries near us, they were particularly stunning last year in the snow. I also love my Hellabores although they don't seem to be too happy this year for some reason.

I don't have any near me but my favorite would be Hamamelis mollis, gonna try plant one this year as well as a Daphne.

Looksee, it's not Saroccocca you have is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    We have two beautiful winter flowering cherries near us, they were particularly stunning last year in the snow. I also love my Hellabores although they don't seem to be too happy this year for some reason.

I don't have any near me but my favorite would be Hamamelis mollis, gonna try plant one this year as well as a Daphne.

Looksee, it's not Saroccocca you have is it?

Thats it! I just keep forgetting though I'm usually pretty good with plant names. Thanks! No flowers yet on my hellabores either, maybe its not been cold enough.

I love Sarcococca but I'm not allowed plant it as apparently someone is allergic to it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROGER THE LODGER

Thanks for the reply's.Only joined yesterday,and it's always interesting to hear other views and stories.Can I say that my inspiration for winter plants came from a visit to the Sir Harold Hillier gardens in late january a few years ago.Other winter gardens that have been aired on Gardener's World include Anglesey Abbey and Dunham Massey.Can anybody recommend a garden to see on these shores? Roger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I love Sarcococca but I'm not allowed plant it as apparently someone is allergic to it :rolleyes:

Just plant it and say nothing.

Then blame the cat or dog for the allergy.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Can anybody recommend a garden to see on these shores? Roger.

http://www.carlowgardentrail.com/altamont.htm

Love the Forest/River Walk. (Summer/Autumn)
    Never been in Early Spring but been told to go one day

Are you willing to travel or do you just mean gardens in and around cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ROGER THE LODGER

I will travel but car is petrol not diesel so within reason.love magnolias especially and have been to Mt congreve in Waterford (world class).

Advertisement