Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This maybe a stoopid question but...

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

When you see jobs advertised as say 20$/hour plus penalties, what does the "plus penalties" mean? Is a penalty not a negative?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

When you see jobs advertised as say 20$/hour plus penalties, what does the "plus penalties" mean? Is a penalty not a negative?:confused:
    Penalties are overtime rates I.e. time and a half or double time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kitbuilder123

Thanks for that. Never thought id call overtime a penalty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It always goes to penalties after overtime.

Unless someone scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Penalty is to the company.

Check also that you are getting offered Superannuation of 9% (contributions to a pension fund).
    If you are going out on a temporary visa (like a working holdiay visa) you are entitled to claim this back along with a portion of the income tax you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hi Declan,

Thanks for signing up and giving us information. One quick question, is it 3 months or 4 months you need to be working before your able to claim your tax back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi gudede,

Not a tax expert although what I understand is that you are entitled to reclaim your tax when you leave the country or at the end or the tax year.

Sorry I can't be definitel on this one.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gudede wrote: »
    Hi Declan,

Thanks for signing up and giving us information. One quick question, is it 3 months or 4 months you need to be working before your able to claim your tax back?

You need to be considered 'a resident for tax purposes' which means you must intend to stay and mostly work in one area for 6 months.

There is a huge thread on it - search for 'Australian tax thread' I'm on mobile so can't link.

But DO NOT use taxback - they take a large % as opposed to a flat fee the agent charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Note you can call yourself a resident for tax purposes as soon as you start work, it is about intentsion to work and live.
    Even if you are working now you can switch to be a RFTP but refilling out your form and handing it to payroll company

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

hussey wrote: »
    You need to be considered 'a resident for tax purposes' which means you must intend to stay and mostly work in one area for 6 months.

There is a huge thread on it - search for 'Australian tax thread' I'm on mobile so can't link.

But DO NOT use taxback - they take a large % as opposed to a flat fee the agent charge.

Cheers Hussey, I'll be doing all the tax work myself, I work as an accountant but I haven't had a chance to check out the Oz tax system yet.

Advertisement