Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route towards IT Training as a Career

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As per the title I would like to work in a company like firebrand teaching cisco courses or linux courses. I don't really like the idea of getting MS certification simply because I don't particularly like that there is system is propriety.

Cisco is quite interesting to me (probably due to the x factor of complex networks and routing). They are propriety too and I don't like the fact of having to constantly learn new technologies - it's my understanding that this is a sector under constant development having browsed through their journals briefly once or twice.

Linux is also something I'm interested in because it is open source and you have the powerful command line which I prefer using to windows. Linux is quite prestigious to me.

At the moment I have four years experience in first level support on an ERP system in quite a large company.

Can anyone give me any direction on how I should go about pursuing this career or where to go next? I do not have a degree btw, hopefully that is less relevant than one would think. I also have the A+ and N+.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Those that can't do, teach. :rolleyes:

Most, if not all IT trainers I have met have been active contractors while doing bouts of training. As well as being highly qualified and with a wealth of practical experience. Asking them how they got into it, generally started with teaching small groups in company's on company time while doing another job and developing it from there.

I think you may be jumping the gun as well, since you have no real experience or qualifications in any of the areas you want to enter. That would be your first port of call.

Advertisement