Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal - paying a deposit on accomodation

Options
  • 05-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

My GF is booking a break in Paris. It's a self catering apartment and the owner is looking for us to send the deposit through Paypal. I have an account but I'm just wondering how secure is this method and is it a good or bad idea?

p.s. The owner appears to be reputable and all the reviews on the net are good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Paypal is fine, it's merely a fast way for two parties to exchange money, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

just make sure before you make the payment that the company exists. Call them etc. Lots of scammers out there doing that kind of business..

Net reviews can easily be faked etc... Just saw on document on BBC ab. this couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Anyone having trouble with paypal lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

finnteme wrote: »
    just make sure before you make the payment that the company exists. Call them etc. Lots of scammers out there doing that kind of business..

Net reviews can easily be faked etc... Just saw on document on BBC ab. this couple of days ago.

Just talking to a co-worker of mine who was trying to sort out somewhere in the states and stupidly did a bank transfer for a place in San Fran. Money went and it went through 2 accounts and then to Africa. Dont think he can get it back cause it crossed borders.

This though, its in the EU and using Paypal. Paypal is extremely safe. Any issues Ive had with no item or problem with whatever I had, they refunded or helped me sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Africa wrote: »
    Paypal is extremely safe.

A very common misconception. Paypal is only as safe as you let it be. From both a seller and buyer's perspective it is very easy to be scammed on Paypal.
    Africa wrote: »
    Any issues Ive had with no item or problem with whatever I had, they refunded or helped me sort it.

Buying a product, and securing a service, are two very different things. Paypal will not even consider a dispute or intervening when intangible products are being paid for. A booking deposit on accommodation would be considered intangible, as you're not buying a physical product. As such, you have zero Paypal protection should this turn out to be a scam.

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual sending the money to make sure they are safe and secure. How you do this is up to you, and no one else can really make that decision for you. If you are dealing with a company, then try to verify that it is actually a real company and not just made up. If you're dealing with an individual that is renting out their own property, then you're on your own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement