Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop/Rap that isn't about bitches n hoes and money

• 05-01-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

First time posting in this thread and I apologise as I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything in the search.

Basically I'm a big music fan of pretty much every genre and I want to expand my hip hop/rap collection!

As yis know most of the popular rap/hip hop music in the charts is about 'bitches n hoes' and 'bling' and all that crap. Don't get me wrong, I must admit I do listen to some of that stupid music just cos it can be fun even but I prefer decent rap :pac:

My favourite artists in this genre would be Eminem, Kanye and The Game. I love some of Jay Z and 2Pac's stuff too but their 'serious' songs not the bitches and hoes stuff.

Can anyone recommend some good music for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

First time posting in this thread and I apologise as I'm sure this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything in the search.

Basically I'm a big music fan of pretty much every genre and I want to expand my hip hop/rap collection!

As yis know most of the popular rap/hip hop music in the charts is about 'bitches n hoes' and 'bling' and all that crap. Don't get me wrong, I must admit I do listen to some of that stupid music just cos it can be fun even but I prefer decent rap :pac:

My favourite artists in this genre would be Eminem, Kanye and The Game. I love some of Jay Z and 2Pac's stuff too but their 'serious' songs not the bitches and hoes stuff.

Can anyone recommend some good music for me?

so are you looking for music from them artists or you're looking for new artists, you didn't make it that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Hopsin! He's pretty underground but he is just amazing. He's all I can recommend tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

tbf mate your opinion of rap is completely off, which is bad place to start IMO, its wrong to go in with a pre conceived ideas.
    If your wanting to expand your tastes don't limit your tastes to what it is you think you want to listen to.
    Fair enough you think it's all about B's & H's, you've seemed to come to the conclusion that that's bad and and not for you.
    So a few things I'd say is:
    Rap is not all about wat you think it is.
    But yes that is a portion, more so a few years back.
    Don't think it's a bad thing either though, to do that would mean you'd be avoiding brilliant music.
    That doesn't just focus on B's & H's.
    Try and experience the good and bad, come to your own conclusions.

People's tastes in music is only as good as they themselves think it is.
    If you ask for help you'll end up hating rap, trust me.
    Make your own way, buy a few best ofs, or download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Tribe called quest.
    Simple as, they're an excellent group never talk about bitches and hoes in a bad way never talk about money just one of the most chilled out groups goin, Start off with their big songs like scenario, electric relaxation, check the rhyme, buggin out and just go from there, if you're really into rap then you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Plastik

A Tribe Called Quest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Also check out The Fugees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Sage Francis
    Canibus
    Rakim (with Erib B and solo)
    BDP (and Krs-One solo)
    Run-Dmc
    Nas
    Wu-Tang clan
    Tonefeff (most of QN5)
    Blackstar (mos and kweilli solo too)
    DMX
    Public Enemy

Plus others mentioned and especially Hopsin for current music.

Just remembered this guy. Pretty much the antithesis of your bitches n hoes n bling idea thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The Pharcyde, Mf Doom, Talib Kweli, Dilated Peoples, Pharoahe Monch, Mos Def, De La Soul, OC, AG, Lupe Fiasco.

Tbh hip hop is one of the most diverse forms of music out there when you get past whats playing on the radio. Even when rappers talk about "bitches and hoes", it can be done creatively.

Have a look at Wu Tang Clan too. One of the most creative groups in music full stop. Kool Keith is another one you might enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Heres an irish one for you......yes theres a bit about drugs/guns but if you pay attention they,re talking more about the country...and they have many other songs....and DONT FLOP IRELAND division rap battles.

Heres an excellent battle.....lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are too many to mention really. The hip hop that is heard in the charts, radio, clubs is generally a bad representation of hip hop.

My suggestion would be to take a listen to the 'Track of the Day' thread and see what you like from there. There is a mix of everything there and something for everyone. I know that there are some posters here that have found new avenues and new artists from that thread alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Gangstarr,
    a Tribe Called Quest
    KRS One
    Diamond D
    Mobb Deep

Just a random thought, is the only hip hop video you've seen Boats n Hoes from Stepbrothers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Work your way back in the years - Lauryn Hill, The Fugees, Nas, Run DMC, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Mos Def...The list goes on. There are so many. Radio is not a good place to learn about hip hop, in my opinion. Unfortunately sex sells, so in order to make money a lot of rappers go that route, but it's not a true representation of what hip hop can and should be about, for me. Some of the best writers in music are in hip hop, but unfortunately they don't get the airplay most of the time cos intelligent, creative music is not always suitable for club scenes and all that, which is what a lot of radio music is for. Nothing wrong with a bit of party music and it can be great fun, but there is better stuff out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DHennessy

atmosphere
    brother ali
    evidence
    aesop rock
    grieves
    elzhi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Can't believe I've forgotton about bands like The Fugees, Outkast etc. Must dig out their albums! Cheers everyone I have tons to look up now.
    Hugh Cream wrote: »
    tbf mate your opinion of rap is completely off, which is bad place to start IMO, its wrong to go in with a pre conceived ideas.
    If your wanting to expand your tastes don't limit your tastes to what it is you think you want to listen to.
    Fair enough you think it's all about B's & H's, you've seemed to come to the conclusion that that's bad and and not for you.
    So a few things I'd say is:
    Rap is not all about wat you think it is.
    But yes that is a portion, more so a few years back.
    Don't think it's a bad thing either though, to do that would mean you'd be avoiding brilliant music.
    That doesn't just focus on B's & H's.
    Try and experience the good and bad, come to your own conclusions.

People's tastes in music is only as good as they themselves think it is.
    If you ask for help you'll end up hating rap, trust me.
    Make your own way, buy a few best ofs, or download.

:confused: I don't think it's all about B&H's. That's my point. I know plenty of songs about that, plenty of artists who do it and I'm just looking for recommendations on artists who don't rap about money, B&H's and how they're going to shoot everyone.

Don't see the problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Brother Ali

simply amazing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

great stuff there indeed! good shout. Insane lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

:confused: I don't think it's all about B&H's. That's my point. I know plenty of songs about that, plenty of artists who do it and I'm just looking for recommendations on artists who don't rap about money, B&H's and how they're going to shoot everyone.

Don't see the problem with that.

The subject matter of hip-hop is limitless so to try and list stuff that doesn't fall within a cliche would be redundant - its limitless. Hip-hop covers everything, love, lust, politics, loss, life, death, loneliness, rejection, betrayal, war, gay rights, giant robots....

So while I know you didn't mean it that way, to start a thread saying does anybody know any hip-hop that's not about X, is to, whether intended or not, implicitly define it by reference to X.

Try the track of the day thread, but you really don't need to look too far to find it. hip-hop is far more diverse than the media would have you believe.

Far play tho for trying to expand your musical tastes.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SaucyJim

Tech N9ne has no bling and hos bull****, hes straight OG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SaucyJim wrote: »
    Tech N9ne has no bling and hos bull****, hes straight OG
    heres some of his lyrics, not exactly PG stuff (the **** is boards.ie editing)
    That'd be the f word 12 times in the chorus alone!!

I cant imagine how the radio version of that song would sound!!
    I love you but **** you, I love you but **** you
    i love you but **** you, kinda strange how you came at me
    i love you but **** you, things will never be the same with me

i love you but **** you, kinda strange how you came at me
    i love you but **** you, things will never be the same with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SaucyJim

still, he hasnt got lyrics about bitches. hes worth the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Advertisement