Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dixons are now seeking Full-Time General Operatives and Driver Assistants to work shift work for zero pay

Yes the taxpayer will pay and think of the valuable experience you'll get lumping fridges and TV's into the back of a van.

Surely someone on boards will avail of this wonderful job opening to further their career. :rolleyes:

Jobs in Dublin West, Work Placement in Customer Service Distribution Centre Dixons Retail PLC - IrishJobs.ie
    If it's for "zero pay" what exactly will the taxpayer be paying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm a Shifter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well come to new age slave labour

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Their dole and the €50 extra per week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If government schemes are blatantly open to companies taking advantage of them, then you can hardly blame the companies for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

We've turned the corner, Is feidir linn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Presumably the worker will claim social welfare. Perhaps Dixons should be putting at least something towards it instead of reaping the benefits of free labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Fifty sheets?! Where do I sign?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If they're on fas courses, they are getting dole.

Dixons are c+nts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dixons are now seeking full-time general operatives and driver assistants to work shift work for zero pay

Yes the taxpayer will pay and think of the valuable experience you'll get lumping fridges and TV's into the back of a van.

Surely someone on boards will avail of this wonderful job opening to further their career. :rolleyes:

Dixons won't be getting any of my hard earned cash with this kind of BS

Jobs in Dublin West, Work Placement in Customer Service Distribution Centre Dixons Retail PLC - IrishJobs.ie

How is this slave labour exactly?

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole? There's nothing wrong with working to put food on the table. Not every job has to be about making it to the top.

This is nothing but entitled bull****.

Next.

Are Dixons paying in the €50 extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I'll boycott any company taking advantage of people like this. Manual labour does not require experience and therefore these jobs are of no benefit to anyone bar the company receiving free labour.

Some people would rather go out and do that then sit at home. To be honest, I'd consider anything if I didn't have work and was doing nothing.

kowloon wrote: »
    Are Dixons paying in the €50 extra?
    I don't think so, I think it's from the SW to cover travel and meal expenses.

I understand people would prefer to do something over being idle but why not spend the time in education rather than doing work for no benefit?

Now now, don't be twisting the OP's agenda by making good points!

I understand people would prefer to do something over being idle but why not spend the time in education rather than doing work for no benefit?

Because education costs money & even if you can afford it, it's not for everyone.

Exactly, why the fuck would anyone want to work in Currys and the like for no money in the hope of getting similar employment for minimum wage.

Because some people would rather work while others would rather study.

• Advertisement

Funny how AH goes into convulsions about our tax sponds going on social welfare but when It transpires that your taxes are basically paying the wages on behalf of a presumably profitable company (and undercutting other people looking for paid work),there is hardly a whisper yet.

Would you walk down to Dunnes and hand them a few hundred quid to pay their workers' wages?

Exactly, why the fuck would anyone want to work in Currys and the like for no money in the hope of getting similar employment for minimum wage.

Because it's a fúcking job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things.. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole?

Watching forensic detectives at home would be more useful than lifting a fridge into a truck for nothing.

stovelid wrote: »
    Funny how AH goes into convulsions about our tax sponds going on social welfare but when It transpires that your taxes are basically paying the wages on behalf of a presumably profitable company (and undercutting other people looking for paid work),there is hardly a whisper yet.

There's a whole thread on the Internship Scheme already. It's massive and it's full of people giving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole? There's nothing wrong with working to put food on the table. Not every job has to be about making it to the top.

This is nothing but entitled bull****.

Next.

Except the taxpayer is basically funding the manual labour for private companies. You don't see the problem with that?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Watching forensic detectives at home would be more useful than lifting a fridge into a truck for nothing.

Except it's not for nothing. It's for money. And I for one would rather work for money than have it handed to me for nothing. And before anyone starts, I'm currently unemployed.

Well go to college and study in a field that suits you and that has jobs available rather than work for nothing for cunts like Curry's.

twinQuins wrote: »
    Except the taxpayer is basically funding the manual labour for private companies. You don't see the problem with that?

Of course I see the problem with that. My problem with the OP was the fact they were referring to the job as slave labour, which it most certainly isn't.

Work isn't a moral state of mind. It's labour for money.

As if any of the pontificators here with professional careers would lump fridges around for less than minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A job which the state pays you for.

Dixons basically get free work from this, don't have to spend a penny, meanwhile the State and the tax-payer will be paying the extra money a person is due to get from the "work".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thread title = Daily Mail Headline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Why would you want to work for free in a job such as a general operative??
    This is Dixons blatantly taking advantage.
    If I was out of work and on the dole and was desperate to get out of the house and do something it definately wouldnt be to work for free in Dixons.
    If someone was that desperate to do something then why not something worthwhile like volunteer charity work or something?

In fairness there are plenty of folk on the dole who have no experience of working at all, if this is aimed at such folk and Dixon's intend using it with a view to offering the decent the decent performers an actual job in the future it may not be a bad use of taxpayers money.

If I was an 18 or 19 with no aspirations to go onto 3rd level, do a trade etc and had no work experience whatsoever I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring and take my chances :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Except it's not for nothing. It's for money. And I for one would rather work for money than have it handed to me for nothing. And before anyone starts, I'm currently unemployed.

Why don't you apply then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Let's also not forget that some guy very well might now come in on a 40 hour week, at no cost to Dixons, and suddenly another worker, usually in receipt of same hours at paid rate, finds himself cut down in hours and subsequently less pay.

• Advertisement

Work isn't a moral state of mind. It's labour for money.

As if any of the pontificators here with professional careers would lump fridges around for less than minimum wage.

A lot of people with professional careers have done internships. It's very common practice.

Well go to college and study in a field that suits you and that has jobs available rather than work for nothing for cunts like Curry's.

That's what I plan to do, once I have the money to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Some people would rather go out and do that then sit at home. To be honest, I'd consider anything if I didn't have work and was doing nothing.
    +1 to this. I would consider it myself. Unfortunately, I think resentment would build up inside me to be working for 50 euro a week and if a supervisor or manager pulled me on something, I would probably tell them to f**k off.

Would you walk down to Dunnes and hand them a few hundred quid to pay their workers' wages?

Look more local. I know people who are going crazy on the dole, doing fas courses. They need to work, not want it, need it. Some have availed of this scheme, all be it not this one.

Working empowers people, I can only hope it would reinforce a persons drive to actively seek a more appropriate position for themselves.

Why don't you apply then?

Because I'm not in Ireland right now. I was also unemployed before I left, and signed up for a program like this with fas, but they didn't get me a job through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

You guys who are defending this are missing the point.

Allowing companies to hire people in this manner effectively costs productive jobs. Why would they hire someone for pay when they could hire someone on SW through one of these schemes?

It's allowing companies to make an extra profit while taking advantage of the system NOT to help the economy grow by actually employing people. That's why it's so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

A lot of people with professional careers have done internships. It's very common practice.

And I'm sure they were internships in areas relevant to their careers. This is just taking the piss and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So would I. But not when the "employer" cost for the labour is nothing.

Look more local. I know people who are going crazy on the dole, doing fas courses. They need to work, not want it, need it. Some have availed of this scheme, all be it not this one.

Working empowers people, I can only hope it would reinforce a persons drive to actively seek a more appropriate position for themselves.
    Could you in all honesty motivate yourself enough to get out of bed in the morning to go work in Dixons for €10 a day?

I know I couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Because I'm not in Ireland right now. I was also unemployed before I left, and signed up for a program like this with fas, but they didn't get me a job through it.

Okay fair enough but would you have taken the "job" if it was offered when you where still here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

This amounts to taxpayer money subsidising a private company. Daft, really.

Because education costs money & even if you can afford it, it's not for everyone.

Fair enough, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it would be my preference.

Formal education costs money, but the library is cheap. Free labour for a private company just seems to me to be a waste of time you can't get back.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    A job which the state pays you for.

Dixons basically get free work from this, don't have to spend a penny, meanwhile the State and the tax-payer will be paying the extra money a person is due to get from the "work".

Yes, but my problem with it is people calling it slave labour. It isn't. I'm not defending the actual scheme.
    Dean09 wrote: »
    Why would you want to work for free in a job such as a general operative??
    This is Dixons blatantly taking advantage.
    If I was out of work and on the dole and was desperate to get out of the house and do something it definately wouldnt be to work for free in Dixons.
    If someone was that desperate to do something then why not something worthwhile like volunteer charity work or something?

Because having a job is better than sitting on your ass. And it isn't working for free.
    Dixons is taking advantage, yes, but would you do any different if you were running a business? I agree with you on the volunteer work though, that's a very good point.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness there are plenty of folk on the dole who have no experience of working at all, if this is aimed at such folk and Dixon's intend using it with a view to offering the decent the decent performers an actual job in the future it may not be a bad use of taxpayers money.

If I was an 18 or 19 with no aspirations to go onto 3rd level, do a trade etc and had no work experience whatsoever I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring and take my chances :)

Exactly.
    You guys who are defending this are missing the point.

Allowing companies to hire people in this manner effectively costs productive jobs. Why would they hire someone for pay when they could hire someone on SW through one of these schemes?

It's allowing companies to make an extra profit while taking advantage of the system NOT to help the economy grow by actually employing people. That's why it's so stupid.

I don't know if I'm one of the people you directed this at, but like I said, I'm not defending the scheme, I'm hitting out at people saying it's slave labour.

Okay fair enough but would you have taken the "job" if it was offered when you where still here?

Yes.

Could you in all honesty motivate yourself enough to get out of bed in the morning to go work in Dixons for €10 a day?

I know I couldn't.

Seriously,

It depends how long off work I was. If it was a while, I would do it. Only because if i was sitting at home I would go crazy. the routine would be good for me. I would be more motivatred to get a better position anywhere else. I would be out of the void of long term unemployment where going to bed at 3am and never getting up before lunch time was the norm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement