Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

hondasam wrote: »
    I would agree if it was proper experience that would benefit the person but not for jobs that require a few weeks training.

It's degrading sitting at home all day but surely it would be just as bad to be working eight hours a day along side others who are getting paid and you are not.

It might be good for young people who have just finished school and have no work experience at all.
    I agree. Getting abuse from assho*e supervisors and being made work long hours during the busy times to learn how to move a fridge from A to B. People are entitled to dignity.

I would do an internship in the morning if I was guaranteed learning a proper skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Caliden wrote: »
    How is it slavery if you're getting paid for it?
    There's more of a chance of progression and promotion than there is if you're just sitting at home.

Coming from someone who was unemployed for 10 months, let me tell you that after 2 months it's depressing.

There's so many things attached to having a job other than money such as social interaction and just keeping busy.
    You are right,the money isn't important sometimes but the social interaction shoite that you followed up with is just pure horsecrap and you know that.If you read the thread properly then you will see that there are other ways to "interact" and not become depressed without having to work for fcuk all for 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

pay peanuts and you get monkeys,

i hope these people fleece them of their stock

I would certainly be looking for anything that would bring me up to to a decent salary.

A massively profitable company like Dixons wouldn`t mind losing stock to a staff member who was on half the national minimum wage.

I could almost imagine them encouraging it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

denballs wrote: »
    tesco will have at least 100 cv,s......the manager needs a stockist.....looks at 25 cv,s.....sees 1 person did an internship for tesco or dixons and the other has done nothing....who gets the job?

and unless your in the top 2 percentile of IQ holders on the planet do not even try to insult my intelligence again you worthless arrogant sub-human piece of trash. :)

Rich coming from someone who cannot construct a sentence together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

also if that guy is so smart why is he using a comma instead of a apostrophe, not once but twice, back to school with yea lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

ThePower11 wrote: »
    If only. It's free labour, the company pays nothing, not even a free lunch.
    No lunch and no travel expences. You actually lose money if you take this "job".

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

stovelid wrote: »
    Work isn't a moral state of mind. It's labour for money.

As if any of the pontificators here with professional careers would lump fridges around for less than minimum wage.

You know, despite having smoked salmon stuck in that nasty looking fake beard of yours, you do make an interesting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

ThePower11 wrote: »
    No not just you, you're friend starbelgrade too, I don't see anyone else on this forum agreeing with you're bile.

Just because someone doesn't have a popular opinion doesn't mean that it is not valid. However, if you're only way of responding to an opinion is to call it "bile" then I'm afraid that you've already lost the debate.

My opinion on this is quite simple - I don't think that there should be any interference in the labour markets from the government in any form whatsoever - be it through job schemes like this or the enforcement of a minimum wage, for the simple reason that although their intention in doing so is to "create jobs", it almost always has the opposite effect.

However, I do believe that if a scheme like this exists, it should be open to all companies, regardless of their profit margins because you cannot discriminate against successful businesses simply based on the fact that they are profitable.

I also believe that there should be no minimum required skill level for any positions advertised or taken up. If someone decides that they would like to do an internship in packing shelves at a supermarket, then I see no problem with that - to differentiate between that type of job & a "highly skilled" job is discriminatory not only to the job itself, but to the people who wish to take up those positions.

There is little or nothing that is unfair about this scheme - it is open to almost all types of business to offer positions & open to anyone who so wishes to apply for them. No-one is forcing anyone into the vacancies & the cost of the scheme to the taxpayer is minimal - especially when you consider that each position will cost a maximum of €1800 per contract, most of which will be returned to the local economy.

There are also huge social benefits to be gained from people not spending their days with little or nothing to do.

If these benefits have to be weighed up against the economic negative effects it may have on the labour market, I'm undecided as to which wins out, but to compare the scheme to slavery is highly ridiculous - slavery is enforced labour without pay. This is a voluntary scheme with financial benefits. The financial benefits to some may appear to be low & the rewards form taking up the scheme may appear to be limited, but surely it is up for each individual to decide if that is the case for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I have no problem with real small and medium companies, offering real career prospects, jobs and experience in a growing environment, availing of this internship.

Companies like this are seeking to exploit it, plain and simple.

They are taking away valuable hours and wages of current employees in the company.

Disgraceful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Katgurl wrote: »
    ok not everyone, but I still maintain that it is good to work as a job gives a sense of purpose to the day. I have a young guy living in my house and I can only describe him as drifting and ambitionless. Likewise with a friend of mine who has been on the dole for ten years. I don't see why they are getting paid at all instead of doing some form of work. I have worked the crappiest jobs over the years and while I didn't love them all, not working never really seemed an option. I just don't see why dole us being handed out to able-bodied people when we are up to our b0!!oxk$ in debt.
    you are just against people on the dole , think about the thread , tesco should be offering minimum wage jobs to these people , not taking 25 a week off the taxpayer to get free staff , take your head out of yer i have to work everyone that doesnt is scum state of mind for a second and see whats going on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I already do the internship things and get nothing, no dole nevermind 50 euros extra.
    I would take the scheme but thats because I'm young but really I wouldn't be able to job seek and work 40(?) hours a week. I would happily do the same community work I did without any payment for six months on the dole but thats also because I can keep my expenses low, it certainly isn't the answer and doesn't work for most people.

I think retail are kind of taking the piss though, an internship for retail come on. Retail are one of the areas that take people on without qualifications or training in the area (not as much anymore) and you work your way up within the store on minimum wage, especially places where profits are up and won't put that back into the economy by employing people cough cough tesco..

Katgurl wrote: »
    Actually I DO think doing menial labour is better than no work because it gets your a$$ out of bed in the morning and if the only thing it solves is willing you to find a better job than at least that is one success.

Look I know I'm not making myself popular here but I really think that the personal effects of being unemployed are hugely detrimental. I think people sitting at home / sleeping in -not interacting with the outside world are worse than missing out on a few months pay cheque.

I have worked in staffing industry for ten years and i can tell you 60% of jobs never get advertised. So if you want one, the best place to find one is out in the working world interacting with people.

I accept that those two companies can afford to pay staff. But I still say fair play that they are turning such huge profit as
    other companies will feed on their success. We need to get th wheels of tue economy turning again, if nobodys making money then everything grinds to a standstill.

If I had a young adult of son or daughter hanging around not working or pursuing anything else (education / sports / charity) I would be phoning my friends who run companies and asking them did they want any free help.

I think the combo of celtic cubs (sense of entitlement / no work ethic) combined with depleted career opportunities are going to contribute hugely in a negative way to country getting back on it's feet.

We can't afford to pay people to watch tv all day. And can I add that last year I ran a shop at weekends and over the entire year a grand total of four people walked in and asked me for a job. A friend runs a cafe and she is constantly trying to find staff.

So this "sigh... There are NO jobs" is to
    SOME degree a fallacy.
    Do you not realise these people getting unopaid jobs doesnt lower the unemployment rate, it just stops tesco paying people for jobs that need to be done , if this scheme wasnt here would tesco just have no shelf stackers????
    You people are being quite poncy because you have a paid job , support this and it will become the norm for all companies ,even yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I done a 4 year degree in Finance and i have been on the dole 18 months since i graduated and its horrible. I have tried everything for a job, it breaks your heart going onto the like of FAS website and you see 52 jobs advertised and 48 of them work experience and the other 4 you need 5 years experience. I had two interviews for placement schemes and to be honest was suprised with how they treat people. The first place i went in and i was told it was 9 months and maybe a job at the end of it. Whats wrong with say 3 months training and taking on full time after that 9 months is just slavery. I heard nothing back about it to be honest im not suprised i lost interest when i was told 9 months and maybe a job and it was advertised as 6 months placement.

The second place is a goverment job so i was excited 6 months and a job in that area would be a great start to working life. Got to the interview again the advertised 6 months became 9 months. They never mentioned it so i asked about a job at the end of it which they said no. They simple explained all their stock was all over the place and needed somebody to come in and get it in order and say goodbye after 9 months, plus they made it clear they wouldnt be happy if i left before 9 months not encouraging me to get a real job. Again i was annoyed but still considered it as it would look good on the C.V. a goverment job. Anyway heard nothing about 4 weeks later i gets a call saying the person they hired quit after 2 weeks and was i still interested. I told them i was planning on going back to college and doing my masters which i couldnt afford in the end. So 2 weeks later they rang me back askng am i still going back to college etc i told them i was and the week later i got 3 missed calls off them. It was pretty desperate and annoying. A goverment job and they couldnt be bothered even paying minimum wage. The €50 etc wouldnt cover my costs of travel, food and getting suits etc.

So instead i have applied for a local 2 month course and getting back into shape. Getting the C.V looked over by a so caled C.V. doctor and feeling positive going into the new year. Sorry if the grammar is horrible im rushing out for a jog and its too long to read back over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I just left a question on the talk to Currys forum on this site, now Dixions are part of the Currys group in Ireland, http://www.dixons.ie/
    Lets see how there rep on here has to say about this.

yourpics wrote: »
    I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs because I can tell you there are not.
    pm me your friends restaurant and location and phone number ill start monday

I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs because I can tell you there are not.
    quoted wrong post there

I just left a question on the talk to Currys forum on this site, now Dixions are part of the Currys group in Ireland, http://www.dixons.ie/
    Lets see how there rep on here has to say about this.
    site down or something? being updated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

cloptrop wrote: »
    site down or something? being updated?

No Dixions are now part of Currys and P.C world http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/electrical-store-dixons-to-be-rebranded-under-currys-name-1448260.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I emailed my local TDs about this scheme, saying how it is diluting the local jobs market and asking them to justify it.

I received one reply out of three emails. It was from my only TD in opposition. In fairness he seemed to have researched it well. Had fair few example from the scheme including one which was offering an internship learning a particular software program for 9 months. The company the produce the software, he said on their website, say it can be learnt in a day.

I received no reply from my government TDs - one FG and one Labour.

And Joan Burton really gets on my nerves whenever she is asked about it in an interview. Every blooding time she is asked she somehow has received an email from someone on an internship that morning, praising the scheme. Every bloody time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yes. In my opinion it is. There is a reward. You get money for it.

You're not a real doctor i hope!
    6 months heavy lifting, for an international retail giant, for €1300 extra, paid for by the taxpayer?
    Anyone who considers this a good deal is a fúcking imbecile. Thats 1000+ hours of labour, for a multi billion organisation, for the princely sum of €1.28/hour of which they contribute precisely nothing.
    Now, i can see why this is a great deal for dixons, but tell me again what the state or the slave eh, employee, is getting out of it?

• Advertisement

aNYONE KNOW WHAT TD is in donamede whos in charge of that general area , ill start an e mail campaign , this scheme infuriates me

You're not a real doctor i hope!
    6 months heavy lifting, for an international retail giant, for €1300 extra, paid for by the taxpayer?
    Anyone who considers this a good deal is a fúcking imbecile. Thats 1000+ hours of labour, for a multi billion organisation, for the princely sum of €1.28/hour of which they contribute precisely nothing.
    Now, i can see why this is a great deal for dixons, but tell me again what the state or the slave eh, employee, is getting out of it?
    That's the point. None of the big mouths on this thread can say what possible prospects can arise from this 'internship'. The principle is all wrong. If companies had valuable work available they'd be paying trained qualified graduates. How the government aren't regulating this 'incentive' just goes to show the bunch of criminals we have in power. This pool of slave labour is just another example of the government slapping the businessmans back.

People do not give your time to these crooks! If you want something to fill your time or feel like you should be doing a service then volunteer for something that's worthwhile to those who need it not rich corporations trying to get stuff done on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A guy i know trained in hortoculture in college, offered to work with the council for free in marlay park to gain experience, he was told he couldn't it was against the rules. That would have benefited him, and the public, but no - not allowed. However he can go and help a foreign retail giant turbo charge their profits, which they will then repatriate, and that's fine - we'll even subsidise that!
    What fúcking moron thought that one up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Haven't read the whole thread, but what I would ask is are they only making you work a 21-22 hour week, where the SW payment is equal to the pay of min. wage for that many hours work? 188/8.65 = 21.75 hours at min wage.

And also it states you MAY keep your payments, not that you will! Sounds like a joke to me. Have they cleared this with the Dept. of SW?

If you were guaranteed your SW and getting the hours equal to the national min wage for the pay being given, then I would encourage anyone to go for it, but if not, you would only be taken advantage of.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread, but what I would ask is are they only making you work a 21-22 hour week, where the SW payment is equal to the pay of min. wage for that many hours work? 188/8.65 = 21.75 hours at min wage.

And also it states you MAY keep your payments, not that you will! Sounds like a joke to me. Have they cleared this with the Dept. of SW?

If you were guaranteed your SW and getting the hours equal to the national min wage for the pay being given, then I would encourage anyone to go for it, but if not, you would only be taken advantage of.
    Have a look in the jobs section on FAS. They're all 30-33hrs per week. I have to hand it to whoever wrote the job descriptions though. They could make Auschwitz look like Trabolgan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Jesus Mate of mine runs a small chipper, hes looking for staff must mention that scheme to him. Happy Days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

cloptrop wrote: »
    aNYONE KNOW WHAT TD is in donamede whos in charge of that general area , ill start an e mail campaign , this scheme infuriates me

Joan Burton who imo is a fcukin wagon. Send her an email and she'll POST you a letter for each query, stating she'll look into it. I got around 10 before they started ignoring me.

We've done the email campaign, asked on facebook and twitter and got no where. Mega thread somewhere in the depths of AH.

No one gives a crap.

Here's the email addresses of the people who run our country should anyone be interested: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Members_emails/document1.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Declan (Managing Director of Dixons and DSG in Ireland) has posted his reply about this issue.

I have to say, it's not as bad as "Driver's assistant" would imply. They seem to train them in appliance installation as well. Not the best of internships but still quite a bit better than our previous perception of it being a "Move that fridge there. Move that TV here." job.

Now the axis of evil revolves around Tesco with their Christmas shelf-stacking "internships".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Zombie Jobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Declan (Managing Director of Dixons and DSG in Ireland) has posted his reply about this issue.

I have to say, it's not as bad as "Driver's assistant" would imply. They seem to train them in appliance installation as well. Not the best of internships but still quite a bit better than our previous perception of it being a "Move that fridge there. Move that TV here." job.

Now the axis of evil revolves around Tesco with their Christmas shelf-stacking "internships".

The full KNOWHOW training - that won't take long. I spent longer at home looking at my laptop when it developed a fault than the KNOWHOW team did in the shop.
    Appliance installation? Pure nonsense, I bought a cooker from them and I was told I had to provide my own electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Is there a cap on how many internships can be issued/allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

This is not slave labour, it's voluntary labour ... and an excellent way to exploit idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Is there a cap on how many internships can be issued/allowed?

Two per ten staff I believe

So it's of more benefit to Tesco or these big chains then the small Irish startups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The full KNOWHOW training - that won't take long. I spent longer at home looking at my laptop when it developed a fault than the KNOWHOW team did in the shop.
    Appliance installation? Pure nonsense, I bought a cooker from them and I was told I had to provide my own electrician.
    Being slightly cynical... it's not the fact that people actually learn anything that will help them get a job. It's the fact that someone will say "Mr. or Ms.X was tasked with diagnosing customer computer software issues as a result of their KNOWHOW training" even if the actual standard of their diagnosis was "Your Wireless card's not working? Let's reinstall Windows."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

SeaFields wrote: »
    I emailed my local TDs about this scheme, saying how it is diluting the local jobs market and asking them to justify it.

I received one reply out of three emails. It was from my only TD in opposition. In fairness he seemed to have researched it well. Had fair few example from the scheme including one which was offering an internship learning a particular software program for 9 months. The company the produce the software, he said on their website, say it can be learnt in a day.

We spent lots of time blasting politicans on boards so give a bit of credit when it's due

Who is the TD who researched and knows the failings of this scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Two per ten staff I believe

So it's of more benefit to Tesco or these big chains then the small Irish startups

Would definitely be for the types of Tesco so.

Whats the deal with companies tho, could 5,000 companies suddenly turn around tomorrow and apply for internships schemes? or is that too capped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

I tried to open a closed thread twice .............

MOD EDIT:

Keep stuff from other forums out of AH please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Reading his reply before he got saved by the thread being closed (come in here Declan), it appears it's not even a Jobbridge exploitation whereby the person is thrown 50 notes but a FAS WPP, where they get feck all extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

My opinion on this is quite simple - I don't think

However, I do believe that if a scheme like this exists, it should be open to all companies, regardless of their profit margins because you cannot discriminate against successful businesses simply based on the fact that they are profitable.

I also believe that there should be no minimum required skill level for any positions advertised or taken up. If someone decides that they would like to do an internship in packing shelves at a supermarket, then I see no problem with that - to differentiate between that type of job & a "highly skilled" job is discriminatory not only to the job itself, but to the people who wish to take up those positions.

There is little or nothing that is unfair about this scheme - it is open to almost all types of business to offer positions & open to anyone who so wishes to apply for them. No-one is forcing anyone into the vacancies & the cost of the scheme to the taxpayer is minimal - especially when you consider that each position will cost a maximum of €1800 per contract, most of which will be returned to the local economy.

There are also huge social benefits to be gained from people not spending their days with little or nothing to do.

If these benefits have to be weighed up against the economic negative effects it may have on the labour market, I'm undecided as to which wins out, but to compare the scheme to slavery is highly ridiculous - slavery is enforced labour without pay. This is a voluntary scheme with financial benefits. The financial benefits to some may appear to be low & the rewards form taking up the scheme may appear to be limited, but surely it is up for each individual to decide if that is the case for them?

How many people did you interview for the position you offered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

mikemac1 wrote: »
    We spent lots of time blasting politicans on boards so give a bit of credit when it's due

Who is the TD who researched and knows the failings of this scheme?

Jonathon O Brien, Sinn Fein TD for Cork north central

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This scheme has always sickened me to be honest, especially some of the positions that are essentially just scrubbing **** out of toilets or packing shelves dressed up in fancy terminology. If I was in that position I'd rather do something worthwhile like volunteering than give a second of my time to scumbag companies who just want to dodge paying someone minimum wage and just get the work for free.

Currys/Dixons won't get another cent from me after this, and neither will any other company who engages in getting free labour for menial jobs under the guise of "learning" something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

I will never use dixons, Currys, pcworld or Pixmania ever again and everyone should go on to the curry forum and ask wjy they are employing people for no wages, its a bloody disgrace, no wonder peole have to emigrate. SHAME ON CURRY GROUP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

skyguy19 wrote: »
    I will never use dixons, Currys, pcworld or Pixmania ever again and everyone should go on to the curry forum and ask wjy they are employing people for no wages, its a bloody disgrace, no wonder peole have to emigrate. SHAME ON CURRY GROUP

skyguy,

If you want to bitch about other forums or bans, do it elsewhere please.AH isn't the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭skinny90

lads and ladies although i agree with some of your points regarding companies taking advantages of the FAS scheme i think you need to ask simple questions instead of taking it out on one company who i can rest assure is one many big organisations ,who is to blame...the government for setting this up or the companies for the government giving them the opportunity to take on someone for a scheme like this???its easy to blame dsg group and say i will never buy there etc etc,but what other companies are also taking part in the scheme????
    reason for asking as one of 4 high achieving students in my course i was asked to move to germany and work for volkswagen in the IT side (as part of my course for work experience for college)....i gracefully declined as they were asking me move to germany for 6months,and they where willing to pay me a maximum of 400 a month,would that not be classified as slave labour compared to this???...taking rent food etc in to account...we all applied for grants an we all got declined only one out of the four has parents paying his fees for him,the rest of us work and pay them off as we go
    the other 3 guys in my course who are heading over because this was there only offer,nobody i mean nobody was willing to offer paid work experience to the 3 only voluntary,even some of the best out there,storm,google etc and if they didn't they would have to do voluntary work they would be getting paid absolutly 0 euro for 6 months.yes the experience is invaluable but these lads are taking out massive loans on top of college fee's with hope that this experience is good enough for employment in the right sector when they graduate.
    sorry for the long rant but honestly i know people that would be happy to get up and be active(and some what positive)that there doing something instead of doing nothing feeling sorry for themselves drawing the dole every week,that fifty quid extra could go along way to alot of families who are struggling. moral of this story yes this kind of experience ie delivering etc may sound stupid or wasteful but at the end of the day the company is simply contributing to a programe set up BY THE GOVERNMENT so people who are unemployed have a choice whether they want to sit around on their backside and give out about everything else or get up and be active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

skyguy19 wrote: »

The fact that the scheme exists isn't the problem, the problem is the abuse of the scheme - you can blame the companies equally as much as FAS though.
    Now the jobs that appear to be advertise by the OP

1) Customer Service Advisor

2) Drivers Assistant

3) General Operative

1 and 3 to me look valid jobs to me, 2 looks bit dodgy.

appliance installation?
    fridges have a plug
    t v s have a plug and a wire<with a plug on it>
    its hardly 9 month training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

This whole scheme is sick... To class a manual labour job in Dixons as an 'internship' is crazy! An internship in the hope of obtaining what exactly?

Something similar happened to my mam a few years ago. Applied for a job in a creche and was told through the grapevine that the company was only looking for FAS scheme workers as they only had to pay half their wages. These workers did the childcare course in FAS; my mam did her course in a secondary school.. She didnt get an interview.

So, she had to go looking for another job!

The work for free scheme is never going to work because why would a company pay someone to do a job that they can get someone to do for nothing!

An extension to the community work scheme, and charity work is needed!

Its crazy that people can defend such things!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Blair

I have bought quite a lot of stuff from the shop in Swords, but this is talking the piss, I will not be spending one cent in any of their shops again.

It has boiled my blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,651 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An internship loading and unloading vans. Donkey-work more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

TheZohan wrote: »
    We've turned the corner, Is feidir linn!

Is feidir linn ma mhone. Sorry not irish but you know what i mean.

And for those that dont, "Yes we can, My A*se".

• Advertisement
Advertisement