Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Unfortunately I may have to take up one of the slave labour jobs.

I'm 20 and renting because I have no choice. I'm currently on BTEA so its grand I can afford to rent for now but come May when I finish my year in college and possibly don't find a job I will be on €100 p/w so I wont be able to buy food pay rent etc. The extra €50 a week would go a long way but that pretty much means doing a full weeks work for €150!

Hopefully ill manage to find a job though...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

brembo26 wrote: »

I'm 20 and renting because I have no choice. I'm currently on BTEA so its grand I can afford to rent for now but come May when I finish my year in college and possibly don't find a job I will be on €100 p/w so I wont be able to buy food pay rent etc. The extra €50 a week would go a long way but that pretty much means doing a full weeks work for €150!

good man go undercut someone else willing to work for the minimum , hope that extra 50 quid helps you sleep at night

cloptrop wrote: »
    good man go undercut someone else willing to work for the minimum , hope that extra 50 quid helps you sleep at night
    Without that extra €50 I may not have somewhere to sleep at night :rolleyes:

You might not have taken in the unfortunately part, its not that i'd want to, its more like I may have too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If I were you I'd do TEFL cert and head abroad

If you want to go back to college next September you can and if you want to stay working you can do that also

You'll get a contract but you can break it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Without that extra €50 I may not have somewhere to sleep at night :rolleyes:

You might not have taken in the unfortunately part, its not that i'd want to, its more like I may have too...
    if you are renting now and then finish college you qualify for rent allowance ,somebody is feeding you bull**** , go to your welfare office and see what your entitled to

cloptrop wrote: »
    if you are renting now and then finish college you qualify for rent allowance ,somebody is feeding you bull**** , go to your welfare office and see what your entitled to

Dont worry I have looked it up and waiting on the landlord to sign the forms. From May it will go up to €126.50 p/w, isn't that fantastic :rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If I were you I'd do TEFL cert and head abroad

If you want to go back to college next September you can and if you want to stay working you can do that also

You'll get a contract but you can break it
    Never heard of that before, ill look it up! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

50 euro wouldn't cover bus fare and lunch for a week.... What a load of horse sh1te!

jay-me wrote: »
    50 euro wouldn't cover bus fare and lunch for a week.... What a load of horse sh1te!

Well from where i'm living there is no reason not to be able to cycle and why couldn't you bring your own lunch?

Dont know why people are attacking my post, its not as if this is the route i'd want to go down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,817 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

jay-me wrote: »

that really depends on where you work/live.

Also as i've previously stated imo the company/fas should provide a bus ticket for someone that has to travel far on this scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Some people would rather go out and do that then sit at home. To be honest, I'd consider anything if I didn't have work and was doing nothing.
    I get that, though I don't like the idea of companies like Dixons who can afford to pay people a decent wage taking advantage of government schemes like this. It stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

wouldnt be anything to with the fact they are selling stuff below cost to stay open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ace2007 wrote: »
    How many people did you interview for the position you offered?

I advertised the position, got about ten CVs in 2 days, interviewed two people from that and closed the vacancy on the third day.

I advertised the position, got about ten CVs in 2 days, interviewed two people from that and closed the vacancy on the third day.

Why did you interview 2?
    why not just give it to the first person and not waste the second person's time

Why did you interview 2?
    why not just give it to the first person and not waste the second person's time

Because that would have been stupid.

• Advertisement

Because that would have been stupid.

no, it wouldn't, you wanted to hand pick the person whom you were going to make work for free for 9 months, imo the company if they are not going to pay the person, they shouldn't have the right to hand pick.

no, it wouldn't, you wanted to hand pick the person whom you were going to make work for free for 9 months, imo the company if they are not going to pay the person, they shouldn't have the right to hand pick.

It's my company. I get to choose who comes through the door - that goes for staff, clients and interns.

The slave labour scheme is bollox

Its encouraging emigration to places where people can get PAID (shock horror!) for their hard work.

Its costing money, subsidising private profits - same crap as the banks

It distorts the labour market - increasing unemployment
    Why pay when you can have the government pay your wage bill

It's my company. I get to choose who comes through the door - that goes for staff, clients and interns.

Are you payin the intern a wage? No so why should you get the opportunity to choose the best people on the market and have them work for free?

your trying to make this scheme out to be good, but the fact is your hand picking the best to work for free, instead of giving some random person a chance, cause all you are interested in is YOU and not the person. As you can see from the link YOU provided, the objectives of the scheme are not to benefit you, but the person, therefore you should not be allow to hand pick
    The objective of the scheme is to:

•Keep unemployed people close to the labour market.

•Provide unemployed people with the opportunity to gain quality work experience thereby increasing their employability.

•Facilitate employers to contribute to the national activation agenda by providing internships opportunities to the unemployed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Dixons is taking advantage, yes, but would you do any different if you were running a business? I agree with you on the volunteer work though, that's a very good point.

If I were running a business, no.

If you are paying people proper wages you'll likely get a good service. If you pay some 50euro a week the service will definitely lose quality, no doubt. If you're service loses quality you lose money. In a competitive market the last thing business want is some lad coming in an hour late, half listening and not giving a f*ck.

Also, from a moral point of view, no.

I live in this country. Everything that happens in some way effects me. The morale of people effects the nation, the bad news, the gloom, etc. To think I'm disconnected from a society that endorses cheap labour such as this is just plain ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its no wonder the country is in the state its in with lads like you making profit out of the misfortune of others. People who exploit others should hang their heads in shame.

Are you payin the intern a wage? No so why should you get the opportunity to choose the best people on the market and have them work for free?
    Its no wonder the country is in the state its in with lads like you making profit out of the misfortune of others.

Settle down - you are both making vast assumptions without having any of the facts.

The two people I interviewed had both finished college in September 2010 & had both spent over a year looking - unsuccessfully - for work in their chosen profession. Neither had any experience, which wasn't helping their cause.

The person I took on was delighted to get the internship & the other was very dissapointed. There is no element of exploitation in what I am doing - the intern is getting valuable experience, learning a lot & can only benefit from the placement.

And as for the country being "in the state its in" because of people like me... get a grip - I run a business that employs people, pays it's taxes & spends a lot of money in the local economy. If there were more people like me instead of whinging, moany cunts who do nothing but complain about everything & contribute nothing positive, then the country would be in a lot better state than it is now.

If you want to point the finger & attribute blame, then at the very least have the courtesy to know which way to stick your finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Settle down - you are both making vast assumptions without having any of the facts.

The two people I interviewed had both finished college in September 2010 & had both spent over a year looking - unsuccessfully - for work in their chosen profession. Neither had any experience, which wasn't helping their cause.

The person I took on was delighted to get the internship & the other was very dissapointed. There is no element of exploitation in what I am doing - the intern is getting valuable experience, learning a lot & can only benefit from the placement.

And as for the country being "in the state its in" because of people like me... get a grip - I run a business that employs people, pays it's taxes & spends a lot of money in the local economy. If there were more people like me instead of whinging, moany cunts who do nothing but complain about everything & contribute nothing positive, then the country would be in a lot better state than it is now.

If you want to point the finger & attribute blame, then at the very least have the courtesy to know which way to stick your finger.

Yeah right. You get nothing out of it yourself then?

lol employes people, thats what we have the finger out about, your not employing this guy, who have him free for 9 months, why did you choose 9 months, why not 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Neither had any experience, which wasn't helping their cause.

sorry star, but you've put your foot in it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I see that there managing director has manged to get the thread on there feedback forum on this site locked.
    From a post made earlier in the year it seems that they hold a oscar event and It's a major black tie and best evening dress event, and this year we'll have 220 of our 660 odd people at the event in Castleknock in Dublin.
    Like going back to the days of the french revolution, the free workers will be told to eat cake while the higher ones wine and dine.
    Makes me sick to my stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

He's employing unpaid interns out of the goodness of his heart, like them all.

lol employes people, thats what we have the finger out about, your not employing this guy, who have him free for 9 months, why did you choose 9 months, why not 6?

Because it takes at least a year to train up a guy straight out of college.

If he chooses to stay with the company when his contract runs out, I will have gotten myself a new employee. But that's only because he's now almost trained up to a level where I can let him do some work on his own. Up until now, I and my staff have spent a lot of time teaching him the practical applications of the stuff he learned in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I hope he lubes up when hes riding the poor suckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I hope starbelgrade's interns are reminded to get furious with any delivery drivers who won't bring stock all the way inside

Wonder if hauling stock is a large part of this job

• Advertisement

If he chooses to stay with the company when his contract runs out, I will have gotten myself a new employee. But that's only because he's now almost trained up to a level where I can let him do some work on his own. Up until now, I and my staff have spent a lot of time teaching him the practical applications of the stuff he learned in college.

so what about all the other companies years ago that paid people when they came out of college, and paid them to get trained up, see this is what your not getting, your take advantage for YOUR benefit.

you really really don't have a clue, you think because you have to train him that gives you the right to take him for free.

Sure the way your talking the BIG 4 might as well not pay their staff on the 3 year training contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I see that there managing director has manged to get the thread on there feedback forum on this site locked.
    From a post made earlier in the year it seems that they hold a oscar event and It's a major black tie and best evening dress event, and this year we'll have 220 of our 660 odd people at the event in Castleknock in Dublin.
    Like going back to the days of the french revolution, the free workers will be told to eat cake while the higher ones wine and dine.
    Makes me sick to my stomach.

Or it just got locked so it doesn't just turn into another thread of mindless raving like this one.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I hope starbelgrade's interns

I would LOVE it if the intern walked out and didn't take the job.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Give this guy a Nobel prize.

Why?

the reason why star isn't paying is because he is being trained up. It is not because he cannot afford to pay him as he had previously indicated.

You see, star's arguments are changing.

So if he has gotten experience, i would love too see him getting a paid job elsewhere, Star has offered him a job ONCE his FREE contract is over.

so what about all the other companies years ago that paid people when they came out of college, and paid them to get trained up, see this is what your not getting, your take advantage for YOUR benefit.

you really really don't have a clue, you think because you have to train him that gives you the right to take him for free.

You are missing the point entirely. Yes, it is true that companies used to take on people straight out of college & train them up at their own cost, but that's because they could afford to take the chance that at the end of the training period that they would stay with the company & be a valuable member of staff.

What is happening now is that with companies cutting down on costs, most of them are unwilling or unable to do this & many college leavers are faced with the choice of either not finding a job here in their profession or emigrating.

This scheme gives companies a cushion to allow them to take on interns at no cost & if it works out well, then it is of mutual benefit to both parties.

Personally, I would not have taken on an intern if the scheme didn't exist - even during the boom years I wouldn't have done so, simply because I run a small firm & only large firms in my sector have the capacity to partake in taking on trainees or interns.

But the scheme does exist & I have as much right to take advantage of the opportunity as the next business. If you don't like the idea of the scheme, then fair enough - it's not for you. But personally, it's worked well for both me & the guy I have taken on, so I don't see why you are getting so hostile with me about it.

But from this post I can see that you are obviously just bitter, so there's little point in debating this with you any further.

But the scheme does exist & I have as much right to take advantage of the opportunity as the next business. If you don't like the idea of the scheme, then fair enough - it's not for you. But personally, it's worked well for both me & the guy I have taken on, so I don't see why you are getting so hostile with me about it.

I'm glad you finally see that you are taking advantage of the scheme.

I said i do like the idea, but you are exploiting it, see your prepared to offer a paid contract when the free one is over, if you offered him a wage now it wouldn't be so bad, but the fact is your just using him for a few more weeks for free. - FACT
    But from this post I can see that you are obviously just bitter, so there's little point in debating this with you any further.

Bitter, why on earth would i be bitter?

I said i do like the idea, but you are exploiting it, see your prepared to offer a paid contract when the free one is over, if you offered him a wage now it wouldn't be so bad, but the fact is your just using him for a few more weeks for free. - FACT

Bitter, why on earth would i be bitter?

Ah, picking out random quotes and bolding parts to suit your own argument. Classic sign of someone who knows they're in the wrong.

• Advertisement

Ah, picking out random quotes and bolding parts to suit your own argument. Classic sign of someone who knows they're in the wrong.

why don't you read all his posts, he clearly states that he is not paying the guy because he is getting trained in.

But if you go back further the reason he intially gave is that he can't afford to.

So which is it, or does the argument change?

he has also said he will paid him when his free contract ends, - to me that is taking advantage of someone.

I'm taking advantage of an opportunity, not of the scheme - there is a big difference.
    I said i do like the idea, but you are exploiting it, see your prepared to offer a paid contract when the free one is over, if you offered him a wage now it wouldn't be so bad, but the fact is your just using him for a few more weeks for free.

How the hell am I exploiting it? I've already explained this... it will be another 6 months or more before he will actually justify the wage I am going to pay him, so for those 6 months he'll be costing me money. Why would I choose to add an additional cost of another few weeks wages to that when I don't have to?

I'm running a business, not a charity.

I'm taking advantage of an opportunity, not of the scheme - there is a big difference.

How the hell am I exploiting it? I've already explained this... it will be another 6 months or more before he will actually justify the wage I am going to pay him, so for those 6 months he'll be costing me money. Why would I choose to add an additional cost of another few weeks wages to that when I don't have to?

Do you think I am running a charity?

The opportunity is to hire someone for free for 9 months and if you think they are good you will keep them and if not you can let them go and start process agian.

like i've already pointed out to you, just cause you have to train someone doens't mean you don't have to pay that person. your never going to accept the argument, you see it your way and thats the only way.

why don't you read all his posts, he clearly states that he is not paying the guy because he is getting trained in.

But if you go back further the reason he intially gave is that he can't afford to.

So which is it, or does the argument change?

he has also said he will paid him when his free contract ends, - to me that is taking advantage of someone.

Then why do you ignore almost all the points he makes in every post, select the parts that suit you, and keep repeating the same thing? I have read al his posts. I seriously doubt if you have though.

I'm running a business, not a charity.

But you should be running a charity. Apparently ;)

Then why do you ignore almost all the points he makes in every post, select the parts that suit you, and keep repeating the same thing? I have read al his posts. I seriously doubt if you have though.

ok jimbob, is he not hiring cause

a) he can't afford to or
    b) because he doesn't want to pay someone who is still getting trained up.

Answer that questions based on star's posts.

ok jimbob, is he not hiring cause

a) he can't afford to or
    b) because he doesn't want to pay someone who is still getting trained up.

Answer that questions based on star's posts.

Do you want

a)The real answer or
    b)The one that suits your agenda?

• Advertisement

Do you want

a)The real answer or
    b)The one that suits your agenda?

the correct answer should be that he cannot currently afford to.

have you ever been an intern jimbob?

have you ever been an intern jimbob?

The correct answer in your opinion.

No I haven't, but I've both been on the dole and worked on ****ty jobs and I know which I'd prefer. If I had a chance at an internship right now I'd jump at it. But I'm sure you won't actually read anything past no I haven't so I may as well just be making up a little poem here.

The correct answer based on what exactly? If you can find me the post where I said that I couldn't afford to pay to train someone, then I'll take my hat off to you and admit that you haven't been selectively reading, selectively quoting, twisting my words & simply making shit up just to suit your own argument.

The correct answer in your opinion.

No I haven't, but I've both been on the dole and worked on ****ty jobs and I know which I'd prefer. If I had a chance at an internship right now I'd jump at it. But I'm sure you won't actually read anything past no I haven't so I may as well just be making up a little poem here.

go to the website there are over a thousand advertised.

go to the website there are over a thousand advertised.

Thought you'd read this whole thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement