Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The correct answer based on what exactly? If you can find me the post where I said that I couldn't afford to pay to train someone, then I'll take my hat off to you and admit that you haven't been selectively reading, selectively quoting, twisting my words & simply making shit up just to suit your own argument.

so your saying that you can afford to pay to train someone but you choose not to, and instead hire someone for 9 months for free cause of the cost to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ace2007 wrote: »
    so your saying that you can afford to pay to train someone but you choose not to, and instead hire someone for 9 months for free cause of the cost to you?

Ah I see you found the post. Well done.

Thought you'd read this whole thread?

yea, but most of it is rubbish, but there are valid internships out there,
    I know about 10+ people that have gotten full time jobs out of internships, and not one of them had to wait until there free contract was up to offered and paid by the company and off the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I think I read something recently about tesco trying to do this too for shelf packers. It should be limited to skilled graduate jobs, but that would just be too sensible for the government.

Now, seconds out, back at it lads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yes.

yea, but most of it is rubbish, but there are valid internships out there,
    I know about 10+ people that have gotten full time jobs out of internships, and not one of them had to wait until there free contract was up to offered the job.

If you read the whole thread why are you telling me to go on that website to find an internship?

I think I read something recently about tesco trying to do this too for shelf packers. It should be limited to skilled graduate jobs, but that would just be too sensible for the government.

Now, seconds out, back at it lads :D

And it would be excluding people who aren't skilled graduates.

If you read the whole thread why are you telling me to go on that website to find an internship?

well let me rephrase it, i've read the majority of it, but if you currently have a jobe and hence not looking maybe thats what your referring to above, but i assuem you were currently unemployed the the below statement you made
    If I had a chance at an internship right now I'd jump at it

well let me rephrase it, i've read the majority of it, but if you currently have a jobe and hence not looking maybe thats what your referring to above, but i assuem you were currently unemployed the the below statement you made

When you say 'let me rephrase that' do you mean 'let me retract that lie'?

When you say 'let me rephrase that' do you mean 'let me retract that lie'?

No it means i've read every page, but maybe not every post(for example if 10 people are makng the same point and thanking each others' points there is no point continully readin their cause they have no idea, there has been quite a lot of rubbish from people that clearly have no idea what is happening, posts from people on internships or from star should really be only things that should be read, and then both arguments listened to and discussed.

• Advertisement

I think for any future responses in this thread I'm just going to smash my head off the keyboard because that's what everyone I'm arguing with seems to be doing.

No it means i've read every page, but maybe not every post(for example if 10 people are makng the same point and thanking each others' points there is no point continully readin their cause they have no idea, there has been quite a lot of rubbish from people that clearly have no idea what is happening, posts from people on internships or from star should really be only things that should be read, and then both arguments listened to and discussed.

Selective reading? You? That's surprising.

I think for any future responses in this thread I'm just going to smash my head off the keyboard because that's what everyone I'm arguing with seems to be doing.

I'm outta here too. The thread is starting to remind me of this expression....

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level & beat you with experience."

so i take it your not interested in getting an internship despite that previous commented about jumping at one?

so i take it your not interested in getting an internship despite that previous commented about jumping at one?

TRIUDFGHJUKIOUYTRFDGDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

denballs wrote: »
    Diageo recently recruited an apprentice electrician .......in the interview i can tell you for a fact the exact wording of one of their questions was....have you had any recent employment, even anything not related to the positione you,ve applied to, just somthing that shows you,ve had experience in a working environment?....

This post represents for me one of the major problems with these interships.....
    Most people know they are a scam to provide free labour to companies who cannot afford wages whilst at the same time appearing to reduce the numbers on the dole however some unemployed people could feel the need to sign up for one in order to compete in an interview situation with the other job applicants who may have done internships....

It's like a damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.....

Sure Katgurl herself even suggested that she'd be more likely to take on an applicant who had completed a previous internship over one who hadn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm outta here too. The thread is starting to remind me of this expression....

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level & beat you with experience."
    Anyone who disagrees with companies who can clearly afford to pay minimium wage taking on "Interns" to do menial jobs like stacking shelves or emptying trucks is an idiot now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

People don't want to work for free, they want to give themselves a chance of getting hired, you may say the chances are limited, but the chance is higher if you are in a big company and show them how hard you can work.

Why would dixons hire you, even if you worked your ass off and impressed them?

Dixons would just say, NEXT SUCKER

Anyone who disagrees with companies who can clearly afford to pay minimium wage taking on "Interns" to do menial jobs like stacking shelves or emptying trucks is an idiot now?

No. If people disagree, then that's fine by me - I love a healthy debate.

But what I really dislike is when people misquote other posters or selectively quote or simply attribute stuff to other posters which they clearly didn't say, for the sole purposes of trying to ram their point home and "win" the argument.

That to me drags the level of an intelligent debate down to the level of pointless idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭EUSSR

Anybody with an ounce of sense will avoid these jobs and migrate to a non european union state. We are no longer a sovereign nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Thank god i've left Ireland, absolutely disgusting.

It's disgusting alright. I will boycott any company if they follow suit. Ireland is becoming a police state:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Well in fairness a Kiwi friend of mine told me that when she was on the dole back in New Zealand you had to do mandatory work in like an office or something while you claimed. While I don't agree with the system we have here it's not as bad as others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Lets all apply and flush their inbox with ****ty C.V's

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Lets all apply and flush their inbox with ****ty C.V's

I like you're thinking. **** em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Some people would rather go out and do that then sit at home. To be honest, I'd consider anything if I didn't have work and was doing nothing.

I would imagine so. But it is sickening to see a multinational like this take advantage. The least they could do is to throw in a few measly quid a week. I would much prefer to see this happen with, say, a new Irish startup than Dixons or anyone like them TBH.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I would imagine so. But it is sickening to see a multinational like this take advantage. The least they could do is to throw in a few measly quid a week. I would much prefer to see this happen with, say, a new Irish startup than Dixons or anyone like them TBH.

If companies throw a few extra quid then its not much different from people who claim the dole and work on the side without declaring taxes.

If this system is allowed continue then it will become the norm with 9 month internships replacing interviews and probationary periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

This should be for the long term dole leaches, not genuine job seekers.

Long term dole leeches should work for the state! Public & Community things not work for the private sector!!

And none of it should be funded by raiding pensions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

I think that it is unfair to call this slave labour ( hear me out ).

1. Anyone who has experienced the occupational deprivation of being jobless will probably agree that you feel like you are losing your marbles hanging around at home- sometimes living with your parents...having to adjust to less money and less to do. It can have atrocious effects on your self esteem. Some people have been in this cycle of sheer boredom for months!

2. From my own experience, having worked for many years and now having no work I can understand that at the end of the day the thing I long for most is feeling useful FOR ANYTHING! I have felt entirely useless and purpose-less.

My point is, what this company is offering benefits both parties. In theory, I would get to spend 8 hours a day being useful, maintaining the dole and getting a bit extra. May I add that it is up to the individual to avail of this job- you'd swear that Dixons are holding a gun to someones head forcing them to work...It is the individuals choice.
    Doesn't the Social Welfare System offer a C.E Scheme which matches the unemployed to a charity in order to undertake some occupation while maintaining the dole? Honestly, whom ever has a gripe with this has not been unemployed long. It is an insult to those who will and have availed of Dixons offer.
    Slave labour is shakles, chains, psychological abuse and deprivation. To vilify this company is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I have not read all the posts here but are companys who take advantage of this scheme have an obligation to employ a precentage of these 'interns' they take on? If they take on five people do they have to offer one of them a full time fully paid position? If they dont and are allowed take on another five people when the first fives time is up?

I wouldnt blame anyone for doing this scheme. Sitting around all day would make you sick. Something like this gives you a chance to get out and do something but think who is gaining the most out of it? Dixons in this case is the answer. They get free labour and maybe the chance to cut and reduce their full time staff's hours and wages giving them even more profit.

I recently finished a fas ce scheme. At least that provided something to the local community and local people and not some private company who will have a couple of million proffit at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I think that it is unfair to call this slave labour ( hear me out ).

1. Anyone who has experienced the occupational deprivation of being jobless will probably agree that you feel like you are losing your marbles hanging around at home- sometimes living with your parents...having to adjust to less money and less to do. It can have atrocious effects on your self esteem. Some people have been in this cycle of sheer boredom for months!

2. From my own experience, having worked for many years and now having no work I can understand that at the end of the day the thing I long for most is feeling useful FOR ANYTHING! I have felt entirely useless and purpose-less.
    The thread is littered with lots of different ways one can feel useful such as volunteer work. My sister volunteers four days a week as a classroom assistant and has the time of her life. THESE are the positions government initiatives should be investing in not a multinational company taking advantage of the idle.

To say this example benefits anyone but the company in any constructive way is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It is disgusting but what is really shocking is the amount of posters on here thinking there is nothing wrong with this type of scam. Very worrying because it's not not just one or two but a good percentage of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It should be for nobody tbh. Let the long term wasters clean the roads and parks etc... This scheme is taking proper jobs (even if they are low paid) away from genuine job seekers.

I have one last thing to say on this subject. If all of you have such an issue with this scheme, go out and do something about it. I'm no fan of the government, but it's very easy to criticise and point out how much better your ideas are when you don't actually have to back it up in any way. If your ideas are so good, why are they not being used?

Edit -This is directed to the people who actually had ideas, not the people who are mindlessly ranting.

I have one last thing to say on this subject. If all of you have such an issue with this scheme, go out and do something about it. I'm no fan of the government, but it's very easy to criticise and point out how much better your ideas are when you don't actually have to back it up in any way. If your ideas are so good, why are they not being used?

Edit -This is directed to the people who actually had ideas, not the people who are mindlessly ranting.

you just proved that you don't know the purporse of the scheme, i quote one of the objectives?

Provide unemployed people with the opportunity to gain quality work experience thereby increasing their employability.

What is happening a large % of the time is that the work is not "quality work experience, i.e. stacking shelfs - anyone can do this.

So the fault is not the scheme, it's the companies taking advantage.

you just proved that you don't know the purporse of the scheme, i quote one of the objectives?

Provide unemployed people with the opportunity to gain quality work experience thereby increasing their employability.

What is happening a large % of the time is that the work is not "quality work experience, i.e. stacking shelfs - anyone can do this.

So the fault is not the scheme, it's the companies taking advantage.

And you proved countless times over this thread that you have no interest in actually having a debate on this matter, and just pick and choose the parts of posts you feel like replying to.

You're just taking the stacking shelves thing from the other loonies on this thread with an agenda, it's been pointed out more than once that there's more to the job being discussed in the original post than this.

And, as I've pointed out plenty of times before, any experience is useful experience. We're not in a booming economy anymore. This attitude that we're all above jobs like this needs to end, and the sooner the better.

The amount of people making assumptions and presenting it as fact in this thread is ludicrous. 'Company X is doing this, company y is doing that' and so on.

And, as I've pointed out plenty of times before, any experience is useful experience. We're not in a booming economy anymore. This attitude that we're all above jobs like this needs to end, and the sooner the better.

Last night star stated that it would take a full year to train this guy up and he doens't want to pay him because thats a cost to him. If we were still in a boom, would he be still in the same position - yes. So for star (an employee defending it, the economy has nothing to do with it)

There have been successful schemes in the past 2 years that didn't have this abuse. So why should people put up with it now?

And you proved countless times over this thread that you have no interest in actually having a debate on this matter, and just pick and choose the parts of posts you feel like replying to.

You're just taking the stacking shelves thing from the other loonies on this thread with an agenda, it's been pointed out more than once that there's more to the job being discussed in the original post than this.

Last night star stated that it would take a full year to train this guy up and he doens't want to pay him because thats a cost to him. If we were still in a boom, would he be still in the same position - yes. So for star (an employee defending it, the economy has nothing to do with it)

There have been successful schemes in the past 2 years that didn't have this abuse. So why should people put up with it now?

UW;FOVUWFRW;#KRWYVYV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

UW;FOVUWFRW;#KRWYVYV
    Look, lads, ye broke the IBEC-bot. I hope you're all happy now. This is why we can't have nice things you know.

Shop assistant

The intern will gain practical experience in merchandising, stock rotation, assisting customers. The Intern will receive formal/informal training in the following displaying stock, dealing with customer queries. On completion the intern will have attained skills in all necessary job requirements

As advertised on the job bridge website. This is not what the internship was set up for.

Shop assistant

As advertised on the job bridge website. This is not what the internship was set up for.

I'm not repeating my arguments again. This is like talking to a brick wall.

I'm not repeating my arguments again. This is like talking to a brick wall.

cause you know can't defend it and refuse to acknowledge something is clearly wrong

I on the other hand have said the scheme if run properly is a good idea. - i took at both sides.

You should try that someday.

cause you know can't defend it and refuse to acknowledge something is clearly wrong

I on the other hand have said the scheme if run properly is a good idea. - i took at both sides.

You should try that someday.

Again you're showing up the fact you haven't read half this thread. I've admitted numerous times that the scheme has flaws.

Do your research next time before you try being condescending.

Again you're showing up the fact you haven't read half this thread. I've admitted numerous times that the scheme has flaws.

Do your research next time before you try being condescending.

i've read all your posts, and could point out to comments you made, but i'll just leave it with one, a little beauty.
    Why does it bother you that the companies are getting free labour exactly? It doesn't effect you.

Free labour means less paid jobs.

And one from starbelgrade,
    That's good to hear. Hope it works out for you. But what will you do if he doesn't stay on?
    Get another slave. :D

i've read all your posts, and could point out to comments you made, but i'll just leave it with one, a little beauty.

Free labour means less paid jobs.

If you've read all my posts, how did you not realise that I'm not in the country at the moment, or that I've pointed out several times the scheme has flaws. Let me say it again. THE SCHEME HAS FLAWS

However, as we currently don't live in a perfect world, there's going to be flaws no matter what people attempt. It's about finding balance, which I think this scheme does. If you want to know why I think that, read my posts. All of them this time, not just the parts that suit you. So a company takes advantage of this scheme. Big deal. Going by the way plenty of people are talking on here, if they had a chance to exploit a company they'd have no issue whatsoever with doing it. Because heaven forbid the big bad companies should be, you know, doing what's best for themselves. No, they should all be running charities or something.

I notice that yet again you refuse to quote entire posts, selecting only the parts which suit your argument. I haven't done that on this thread, and as far as I've noticed I don't think anyone else arguing against you has either. That in itself is telling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Dixons Stores Group Ireland

For our colleagues, we believe there are four five core values that constitute who we are, as individuals and as a team:

- We love to make our customers happy

- We know our stuff

- We love to work here

- We deliver

- We exploit slave labour loopholes at your country's expense

Looks about right now.

If you've read all my posts, how did you not realise that I'm not in the country at the moment, or that I've pointed out several times the scheme has flaws. Let me say it again. THE SCHEME HAS FLAWS

However, as we currently don't live in a perfect world, there's going to be flaws no matter what people attempt. It's about finding balance, which I think this scheme does. If you want to know why I think that, read my posts. All of them this time, not just the parts that suit you. So a company takes advantage of this scheme. Big deal. Going by the way plenty of people are talking on here, if they had a chance to exploit a company they'd have no issue whatsoever with doing it. Because heaven forbid the big bad companies should be, you know, doing what's best for themselves. No, they should all be running charities or something.

I notice that yet again you refuse to quote entire posts, selecting only the parts which suit your argument. I haven't done that on this thread, and as far as I've noticed I don't think anyone else arguing against you has either. That in itself is telling.

It's not just a big deal, it's the problem.

• Advertisement

I see that in addition to your inability to debate fairly, that you also don't possess a sense of humour.

Advertisement