Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Yes.
    Ok thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I applied to voice my displeasure. I'd encourage others to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of people with professional careers have done internships. It's very common practice.

Internships in humping fridges around for your dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

OP, one of the managers of this group posts on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

They have a Talk To forum
    He's often on boards dealing with complaints and answering tough questions. And there were a few threads last year about hiring and managing staff

Just saying if you want to post it there and see if you get a response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

mkdon05 wrote: »
    I'll boycott any company taking advantage of people like this. Manual labour does not require experience and therefore these jobs are of no benefit to anyone bar the company receiving free labour.
    what dixons are offering/taking advantage of is exactly the same as...famine relief work or the modern day work house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Seriously,

It depends how long off work I was. If it was a while, I would do it. Only because if i was sitting at home I would go crazy. the routine would be good for me. I would be more motivatred to get a better position anywhere else. I would be out of the void of long term unemployment where going to bed at 3am and never getting up before lunch time was the norm.

Would you not rather charity work though to occupy your time?
    It'd be something worthwhile and it looks very good on a cv.

Just remember that by Dixons offering these slave positions someone who would actually like the position at a proper full-time wage is turned away and another one joins the dole queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I'll boycott any company taking advantage of people like this. Manual labour does not require experience and therefore these jobs are of no benefit to anyone bar the company receiving free labour.
    what dixons are offering/taking advantage of is exactly the same as...famine relief work or the modern day work house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Seriously,

It depends how long off work I was. If it was a while, I would do it. Only because if i was sitting at home I would go crazy. the routine would be good for me. I would be more motivatred to get a better position anywhere else. I would be out of the void of long term unemployment where going to bed at 3am and never getting up before lunch time was the norm.

Why not go and do some social work to benefit the community rather than to help some company and its balance sheet? Pick litter, clean up a river bank etc...there's plenty of work around the country that needs to be done if people want to work for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A lot of people with professional careers have done internships. It's very common practice.

Designing a work flow in a warehouse in an internship.
    So is linking sales and stock databases.
    Or even working in accounts or looking at stock control

This group are offering internships in stocking shelves and lugging around washing machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FTGFOP wrote: »
    This amounts to taxpayer money subsidising a private company. Daft, really.

Amazing that people are failing to grasp this.

Plus they are keeping other people out of normally paid jobs.

Fair enough if it was a work placement relevant to a trade or profession, but this? Come on, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

This is a new Govt initiative called JobBridge and is an Internship Scheme. I have to admit when I heard of it I thought it was quite a good idea but didn't imagine large organisations like Dixons would be taking advantage of it for what seems to be fairly menial work.

The main benefits I can see for unemployed people using it is that firstly it fills a void on their CV and shows that they have made the effort to work and gain experience despite little extra reward and secondly it may result in a more permanent better paid position. I think it is a good idea if it is aimed at small local businesses who might genuinely need extra help/staff but are not in a financial position to employ them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dean09 wrote: »
    Would you not rather charity work though to occupy your time?
    It'd be something worthwhile and it looks very good on a cv.

I do that now and I work full time.
    In my experience with volunteering, it can be quite hard to get places, as mad as that sounds. I volunteered professional to one local organisation and it will take 2-6 months before my application is processed. I'm still waiting 4 months on. the others were around the 3 month mark. I never went for a full time volunteer job but I suspect they would be hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I do that now and I work full time.
    In my experience with volunteering, it can be quite hard to get places, as mad as that sounds. I volunteered professional to one local organisation and it will take 2-6 months before my application is processed. I'm still waiting 4 months on. the others were around the 3 month mark. I never went for a full time volunteer job but I suspect they would be hard to get.
    Really?? :confused:
    That's shocking. You'd think they'd be crying out for volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Maudi wrote: »
    ...famine relief work or the modern day work house.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what them 2 things are

• Advertisement

mconigol wrote: »
    Why not go and do some social work to benefit the community rather than to help some company and its balance sheet? Pick litter, clean up a river bank etc...there's plenty of work around the country that needs to be done if people want to work for free.

I'd most certainly consider that too.

the way I see it is,we live in a free society. any company or person can advertise a job, it's up to people to want to do it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

How is this slave labour exactly?

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole? There's nothing wrong with working to put food on the table. Not every job has to be about making it to the top.

This is nothing but entitled bull****.

Next.

If they can get people to do it for free why would they ever hire people properly? People working for free will not help unemployment in any way. Rather go do some charity work and help people who need it, not fu*king dixons.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Really?? :confused:
    That's shocking. You'd think they'd be crying out for volunteers.

It's Gardai and prison checks. They take forever and a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ridiculous scheme altogether. The government should not be subsidizing private companies like this, and these so called internships like the Dixon's one are worthless. What has happened is that instead of a someone actually getting paid to work, the tax payer is footing the bill to subsidize a private company. Utterly shambolic as per usual from our government, and a complete waste of tax money, that would be better spent in a bunch of other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

stovelid wrote: »
    Amazing that people are failing to grasp this.

Plus they are keeping other people out of normally paid jobs.

Fair enough if it was a work placement relevant to a trade or profession, but this? Come on, folks.
    Spot on, Curry's don't care about giving people work experience, it's all about profits. 2 workers on the Job-bridge scheme would save them €70,000 p/a.

• Advertisement

the way I see it is,we live in a free society. any company or person can advertise a job, it's up to people to want to do it or not.

Sure but the taxpayer is basically paying for these "internships" to aid the profits of a huge company. This is'nt paddy the local fruit and veg shop owner who needs a dig out for a few weeks to keep the business going.

It's daft and i for one will not be spending a penny in dixons/currys ever again and urge others to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Willingness to work.

And yes it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Agreed but most people's qualms with it is that tax money is going into the scheme. I'd be all for someone offering to work for Curry's for nothing if that's what they wanted to do.
    Whatever floats your boat and all that.
    Out of curiosity would you be in favour of abolishing the minimum wage then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Their dole and the €50 extra per week.

Not even....
    Do I get Paid?

No. the placement is unpaid and voluntary. However, if you are already in receipt of certain social welfare payments, you may be allowed to retain your payment while on a placement.

"May" be allowed...? In other words, not only would you not be paid, you would lose moeny?
    How is this slave labour exactly?

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole? There's nothing wrong with working to put food on the table. Not every job has to be about making it to the top.

This is nothing but entitled bull****.

Next.

Slave as in Dixons are getting free labour.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sure but the taxpayer is basically paying for these "internships" to aid the profits of a huge company. This is'nt paddy the local fruit and veg shop owner who needs a dig out for a few weeks to keep the business going.

It's daft and i for one will not be spending a penny in dixons and urge others to do likewise.

If I remember correctly I think my mind was firmly turned against them on the other thread :P

Look, all I am saying is that desperate times call for desperate measures. You can be sure this intership scheme has stopped some people going mental. to be out doing something again, anything.

It may not be ideal but as I said nobody is being forced into these positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

It's Gardai and prison checks. They take forever and a day.

They must have found out about all those kids and dont want you coaching the junior team, eh, eh?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Agreed but most people's qualms with it is that tax money is going into the scheme. I'd be all for someone offering to work for Curry's for nothing if that's what they wanted to do.
    Whatever floats your boat and all that.
    Out of curiosity would you be in favour of abolishing the minimum wage then?

Abolishing the minimum wage all together would force more extreme competitiveness and standards would fall. In the very long term it would destroy us.

this scheme is a short term project as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I cant understand how anyone could see this as a 'positive' or 'good' thing. Its a company just looking to use people.

Anyone who says that many a person has gotten his or her start from working in an internship needs their head checked. Trying to get your foot in the door of a major and professional type of job is completely different from some poxxy retail shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

If this was Dixons doing this in India or Africa there would be war - it'd be all over the news - people would be demanding Dixons be shut down!

Why is it okay to do this in Ireland? Are we not worthy of being paid for our days work? :confused: I'm even more confused that people are defending Dixons' right to exploit desperate people - and put whatever spin you want on it but this is exactly what they are doing.

Keith186 wrote: »
    They must have found out about all those kids and dont want you coaching the junior team, eh, eh?

Well, that and the murders :P

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly I think my mind was firmly turned against them on the other thread :P

Look, all I am saying is that desperate times call for desperate measures. You can be sure this intership scheme has stopped some people going mental. to be out doing something again, anything.

It may not be ideal but as I said nobody is being forced into these positions.

I can see that side of it but it's making someone else go mental also. You have to realise that slavery schemes like this are stopping real jobs being produced. Dixons will not be paying a jobseeker a full-time wage now because someone will work that positon for free. What makes this all the more disturbing is they will most likely fill these positions fairly quickly as people are getting desperate. The jobreach scheme is a good idea imo if implemented correctly.

This is NOT what the scheme should be all about. Think Joe Duffy may be getting a phonecall in the morning tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

So a paid job is taken out of the market and swapped for 9 months of a welfare bill with an added 25%. It just seems like complete lunacy.

If this was Dixons doing this in India or Africa there would be war - it'd be all over the news - people would be demanding Dixons be shut down!

Why is it okay to do this in Ireland? Are we not worthy of being paid for our days work? :confused: I'm even more confused that people are defending Dixons' right to exploit desperate people - and put whatever spin you want on it but this is exactly what they are doing.

I find it very disturbing that people are defending what dixons are doing also. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 troubledagain

This is completley wrong some genius of course deciding it a good idea to take advantage...bloody dix..ons

Anyone who defends the scheme would be the same person who would NEVER apply for one. Their true answer would be: "Work for free? fuck that" .... its all shite out of people defending it.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Anyone who defends the scheme would be the same person who would NEVER apply for one. Their true answer would be: "Work for free? fuck that" .... its all shite out of people defending it.

You speaking for everyone now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Abolishing the minimum wage all together would force more extreme competitiveness and standards would fall. In the very long term it would destroy us.

Enforcing a minimum wage reduces the demand for labour as the cost of labour and demand for it are inversely proportional. And as the cost of labour increases so do the price of goods & services, which in turn causes a rise in inflation. And one of the major factors that causes recessions or dips in economies is inflation.

The real effect in the labour market of raising minimum wage, is that it raises wages across the board as workers seek to maintain parity. That in turn means that companies can afford to hire less staff, or cut back on the hours they can allow people to work, so in effect, a minimum wage actually reduces the number of hours people work and effectively increases unemployment.

Governments always play the populist card when it comes to things like this & fail to recognise that interference in the labour market is far from sound economics. They probably do recognise it, but choose to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Except it's not for nothing. It's for money. And I for one would rather work for money than have it handed to me for nothing. And before anyone starts, I'm currently unemployed.

Except it's displacing real labour that's for real money, the government is subsidising Dixon's et al and somehow this is meant to be good for our economy/job situation.

You speaking for everyone now?

I some how feel you fit into what I said Mickey.
    How come you aint applying for one? ... or will I get an answer of "i already have a job" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Always despised this company. Their sales people are usually annoying greaseballs. I'd sooner support a home grown retailer.

Except it's displacing real labour that's for real money, the government is subsidising Dixon's et al and somehow this is meant to be good for our economy/job situation.

It's Fine Gael's way of living up to their promise of creating jobs. Though, it's a very liberal use of the word "create", it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

mconigol wrote: »

People don't want to work for free, they want to give themselves a chance of getting hired, you may say the chances are limited, but the chance is higher if you are in a big company and show them how hard you can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭Socialist_Pig

a good rule of thumb is never,ever work for free.

they call it an internship but they can fuk off.

Enforcing a minimum wage reduces the demand for labour as the cost of labour and demand for it are inversely proportional. And as the cost of labour increases so do the price of goods & services, which in turn causes a rise in inflation. And one of the major factors that causes recessions or dips in economies is inflation.

The real effect in the labour market of raising minimum wage, is that it raises wages across the board as workers seek to maintain parity. That in turn means that companies can afford to hire less staff, or cut back on the hours they can allow people to work, so in effect, a minimum wage actually reduces the number of hours people work and effectively increases unemployment.

Governments always play the populist card when it comes to things like this & fail to recognise that interference in the labour market is far from sound economics. They probably do recognise it, but choose to ignore it.

I agree, mostly.

That's why the minimum wage should not be abolished altogether, however it should be controlled and lowered or highered according to econmic strains.

we can't have long term competition where the floor is the starting point.

Is this part of FG's 5 point plan?

• Advertisement

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I some how feel you fit into what I said Mickey.
    How come you aint applying for one? ... or will I get an answer of "i already have a job" ;)

I already have a job. I work for a small company who are hanging on by their fingertips for the last 18 months. Every month could have been our last and still may be. so I am not as far away from a dole queue as you may imply.

Is this part of FG's 5 point plan?
    5 year plan ;)

I agree, mostly.

That's why the minimum wage should not be abolished altogether, however it should be controlled and lowered or highered according to econmic strains.

we can't have long term competition where the floor is the starting point.

I think if the government really wanted some form of social protection in the labour market, they would be far better off introducing a minimum income rather than having a minimum wage.

I think if the government really wanted some form of social protection in the labour market, they would be far better off introducing a minimum income rather than having a minimum wage.

That actual makes perfect sense.

How would the minimum income work?

• Advertisement
Advertisement