Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I haven't read through the whole thread, but in fairness, Job Bridge does seem like a great scheme. I do think dixons are possibly taking the piss a bit here alright.

Where the scheme is great is for companies with limited resources to give an opportunity to someone who maybe isn't as qualified as they'd like. They likely cant afford the 60grand a year Masters graduate with loads of experience, but if someone who, say, dropped out of college and has no real experience in the area comes in and does well in their time frame, they can be brought on full time at something the company can afford and the applicant is happy with.

I know a small business owner who has brought in 3 people on job bridge, and has given full time jobs to 2 of them (the 3rd person showed the idiocy of some people, would randomly just not turn up since he "wasn't being paid to". Couldn't see the opportunity right there in front of him).

From the looks of it though, I doubt Dixons have much intention of using this scheme as it should be used. Still though, if someone goes in and impresses, who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

yourpics wrote: »
    Not everyone can just leave the country, personal circumstances can dictate otherwise.
    Responsibility is important, those who caused it should pay. If I robbed a bank I wouldn't expect you to go to jail for my crime.

I understand that, but when I was back at home I was unemployed as well and I'd have happily taken an opportunity like this if it came up.
    I for one hope that the jobbridge collapes very soon,and is never re-built.It is slave labour under fancy marketing.No excuses should be made to defend it.It has some(minimal) good points but they are heavily outweighed by the way it is abused by some companies.It defo needs to be overhauled by Fas and a new and fairer scheme should be introduced.:mad::eek:

It. is. not. slave. labour. In any way.
    ThePower11 wrote: »
    And you're points amount to;

1: People on the dole have nothing better to do, so they should work for nothing.

2. Some poor old private company's are struggling these days, so lets get the unemployed to help them out. and work like a slave. (at least the slave got free lunch)

No, that's not what my points amount to at all.

1: It's not working for nothing, you're working for the dole rather than just getting it to sit on your ass. That, for me personally would be more rewarding.

2: :rolleyes:

Running out of bullshit are we?

That's rich coming from the person whose main argument has been taking the piss out of my posts for thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole thread, but in fairness, Job Bridge does seem like a great scheme. I do think dixons are possibly taking the piss a bit here alright.

Where the scheme is great is for companies with limited resources to give an opportunity to someone who maybe isn't as qualified as they'd like. They likely cant afford the 60grand a year of a Masters graduate with loads of experience, but if someone who, say, dropped out of college and has no real experience in the area comes in and does well in their time frame, they can be brought on full time at something the company can afford and the applicant is happy with.

I know a small business owner who has brought in 3 people on job bridge, and has given full time jobs to 2 of them (the 3rd person showed the idiocy of some people, would randomly just not turn up since he "wasn't being paid to". Couldn't see the opportunity right there in front of him).

From the looks of it though, I doubt Dixons have much intention of using this scheme as it should be used. Still though, if someone goes in and impresses, who knows...

Sounds good, when do I start?

Doctor Jimbob you have to admit that the scheme may not be slave labour but it is explotation. For 188 plus 50e a 3 day constructive week MIGHT be alright, but not 40 hrs stacking shelves

• Advertisement

Doctor Jimbob you have to admit that the scheme may not be slave labour but it is explotation. For 188 plus 50e a 3 day constructive week MIGHT be alright, but not 40 hrs stacking shelves

I don't think is is really, but I'm clearly not going to convince anyone otherwise, and no one is going to convince me to change my mind either, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

That's rich coming from the person whose main argument has been taking the piss out of my posts for thanks.
    In fairness it hasn't been too hard taking the piss out of some of the shit you've posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Running out of bullshit are we?

No, he's just being blinded by his own ignorance and stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Actually I DO think doing menial labour is better than no work because it gets your a$$ out of bed in the morning and if the only thing it solves is willing you to find a better job than at least that is one success.

Look I know I'm not making myself popular here but I really think that the personal effects of being unemployed are hugely detrimental. I think people sitting at home / sleeping in -not interacting with the outside world are worse than missing out on a few months pay cheque.

I have worked in staffing industry for ten years and i can tell you 60% of jobs never get advertised. So if you want one, the best place to find one is out in the working world interacting with people.

I accept that those two companies can afford to pay staff. But I still say fair play that they are turning such huge profit as
    other companies will feed on their success. We need to get th wheels of tue economy turning again, if nobodys making money then everything grinds to a standstill.

If I had a young adult of son or daughter hanging around not working or pursuing anything else (education / sports / charity) I would be phoning my friends who run companies and asking them did they want any free help.

I think the combo of celtic cubs (sense of entitlement / no work ethic) combined with depleted career opportunities are going to contribute hugely in a negative way to country getting back on it's feet.

We can't afford to pay people to watch tv all day. And can I add that last year I ran a shop at weekends and over the entire year a grand total of four people walked in and asked me for a job. A friend runs a cafe and she is constantly trying to find staff.

So this "sigh... There are NO jobs" is to
    SOME degree a fallacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I understand that, but when I was back at home I was unemployed as well and I'd have happily taken an opportunity like this if it came up.
    Let me begin this post by saying I am 100% serious.

If I actually started my human billboard business and you were offered an internship in my business, would you take it?

Bear in mind that I'd spend my entire day lounging around in my office making deals with clients, administrating the business and collecting payments while you spent 8 hours a day / 5 days a week outside in the cold and rain being verbally abused by scumbags.

I want an answer, would you have taken the internship I was offering?

• Advertisement

In fairness it hasn't been too hard taking the piss out of some of the shit you've posted.

You could try actually debating what I say. The fact that you resort to taking the piss gives me the impression you aren't too convinced of your own arguments.
    fat__tony wrote: »
    No, he's just being blinded by his own ignorance and stupidity.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

How is this slave labour exactly?

Oh no, people won't be able to 'further their career'. The poor things. Will they be furthering their career by sitting on their arse on the dole? There's nothing wrong with working to put food on the table. Not every job has to be about making it to the top.

This is nothing but entitled bull****.

Next.

It's not slave-labour, of course; slaves didn't/don't have a choice.
    Taking an unpaid job/intern-ship makes sense if it will help you to learn new, valuable skills that will aid your chance of gaining employment in the future.
    Companies offering unpaid positions in menial jobs that require no skill, however, under the pretence that these jobs will help an individual learn valuable skills that will aid their chance of gaining future employment, are merely taking the piss and taking advantage of a situation.
    If someone finds themselves on the dole and uses their time productively, they've a better chance of bettering themselves and learning more than if they were to waste their time spending 40 hours a week stacking shelves for no pay.
    Sure it's possible that someone would volunteer for such a 'job' and would then, through diligence gain a foot-hold/impress their employers and eventually secure an actual paying job within the company.
    And good luck/fair-play to anyone who does so.
    But, even if someone who is currently unemployed would wish for that in their future, rather than, say, holding out hope for something better/more suited to them, and wishes to use their time more productively in striving towards this, such instances will, obviously, be rare enouigh on the ground.
    The idea that people who are currently unemployed should view such offers as manna from heaven/leap to fill them/view the companies that offer them as being benevolent saviours is, frankly, f*cking ludicrous.

Let me begin this post by saying I am 100% serious.

If I actually started my human billboard business and you were offered an internship in my business, would you take it?

Bear in mind that I'd spend my entire day lounging around in my office making deals with clients, administrating the business and collecting payments while you spent the day outside in the cold and rain being verbally abused by scumbags.

I want an answer, would you have taken the internship I was offering?

If I was in the country, unemployed, and having no luck looking for a job, then yes I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

If some People on here cant see that the Jobbridge scheme is not a fair way to go then the Goverment have blinded you through the tea-bagging method that they like to employ:eek: Their ball's are that much in your eyes that you cant see what is happening !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

1: It's not working for nothing, you're working for the dole rather than just getting it to sit on your ass. That, for me personally would be more rewarding.

I think the majority of people would find little rewarding about stacking shelves in tesco, with them making billions in profit, and they dont pay a cent to the intern.

The only one having a rewarding experience here is tesco in this example.

If I was in the country, unemployed, and having no luck looking for a job, then yes I would.
    You're an awfully charitable man, aren't you?

Why, may I ask, would you spend 40 hours a week on the street wearing a plastic sign encountering all sorts of people and all sorts of working conditions just to lower my labour costs? I would get to work in comfort in a relatively prestigious job earning money off of your hard work. All without paying you a cent. If I was unemployed like you before opening my business, how could you possibly call it a fair situation?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I think the majority of people would find little rewarding about stacking shelves in tesco, with them making billions in profit, and they dont pay a cent to the intern.

The only one having a rewarding experience here is tesco in this example.

This just reeks of begrudgery to me. I have work, that would be what matters to me. The amount of profit the company is making wouldn't come into it.

You could try actually debating what I say. The fact that you resort to taking the piss gives me the impression you aren't too convinced of your own arguments.
    How many time do I have to say how much of a joke this scheme is?

Its fairly cut and dry really, Tesco, Dixon's and the like advertised for unpaid interns, not out of the kindness of their hearts but to abuse unemployed citizens of this country to boost profit margins. But you are trying to put some sort of kind gesture spin on the whole thing, you're deluded.

This is costing the Irish tax-payer a lot of money not just in the extra €50 p/w allowance but also the millions in lost income tax from these private company's who otherwise would have to pay at least €350 p/w for a full-time employee thus taking him/her off the live register.

You're an awfully charitable man, aren't you?

Why, may I ask, would you spend 40 hours a week on the street wearing a plastic sign encountering all sorts of people and all sorts of working conditions just to lower my labour costs? I would get to work in comfort in a relatively prestigious job earning money off of your hard work. If I was unemployed like you before opening my business, how could you possibly call it a fair situation?

I wouldn't call myself charitable at all. Not in this case at least. It would be for purely selfish reason's that I'd do it.

Because I wouldn't be doing it just to lower your labour costs. I'd be doing it so that I'd have a job of some sort and wouldn't just be sitting around doing nothing. Your labour costs would be completely irrelevant to me. It's not a fair situation, but Life isn't exactly a level playing field.

Katgurl wrote: »
    Actually I DO think doing menial labour is better than no work because it gets your a$$ out of bed in the morning and if the only thing it solves is willing you to find a better job than at least that is one success.

Look I know I'm not making myself popular here but I really think that the personal effects of being unemployed are hugely detrimental. I think people sitting at home / sleeping in -not interacting with the outside world are worse than missing out on a few months pay cheque.

I have worked in staffing industry for ten years and i can tell you 60% of jobs never get advertised. So if you want one, the best place to find one is out in the working world interacting with people.

I accept that those two companies can afford to pay staff. But I still say fair play that they are turning such huge profit as
    other companies will feed on their success. We need to get th wheels of tue economy turning again, if nobodys making money then everything grinds to a standstill.

If I had a young adult of son or daughter hanging around not working or pursuing anything else (education / sports / charity) I would be phoning my friends who run companies and asking them did they want any free help.

I think the combo of celtic cubs (sense of entitlement / no work ethic) combined with depleted career opportunities are going to contribute hugely in a negative way to country getting back on it's feet.

We can't afford to pay people to watch tv all day. And can I add that last year I ran a shop at weekends and over the entire year a grand total of four people walked in and asked me for a job. A friend runs a cafe and she is constantly trying to find staff.

So this "sigh... There are NO jobs" is to
    SOME degree a fallacy.

I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs because I can tell you there are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Actually I DO think doing menial labour is better than no work because it gets your a$$ out of bed in the morning and if the only thing it solves is willing you to find a better job than at least that is one success.[...]

Sure. Just don't expect the taxpayer to fund it.

To be painfully clear, let's reduce this to the most basic (and perhaps cynical) point: this scheme is meant to get people off the dole, to decrease the welfare bill.
    Offering unskilled or low skilled work will keep people on the dole. Is it starting to make sense now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I think you're missing my point.

Nobody is viewing tesco as some benefactor or debating whether they are being kind or not, obviously a business is all about the profit.

What I am arguing is that the country cannot afford to pay dole for no reason and I do not believe that getting dole for nothing does anyone any good.

How many time do I have to say how much of a joke this scheme is?

Its fairly cut and dry really, Tesco, Dixon's and the like advertised for unpaid interns, not out of the kindness of their hearts but to abuse unemployed citizens of this country to boost profit margins. But you are trying to put some sort of kind gesture spin on the whole thing, you're deluded.

This is costing the Irish tax-payer a lot of money not just in the extra €50 p/w allowance but also the millions in lost income tax from these private company's who otherwise would have to pay at least €350 p/w for a full-time employee thus taking him/her off the live register.

Jesus fúcking Christ.

I'm not trying to put some sort of kind gesture spin on it at all. I accept that the companies are abusing the scheme. Will you actually read my posts before you go spouting nonsense.

If this wasn't costing the tax payer, something else would be. It's hardly a massive hit on the tax payer's pocket is it?

I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs becuase I can tell you there are not.

Serious question, are you applying for any job, or just a select few you're qualified for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

It makes very little difference wether dixons pay minimum wage or nothing ....to them thats just 1 very basic netbook a week....

Why would they avail of this scheme then...you wonder....

well...there are other aspects.....such as pr ....they probably think this makes them look good......helping people gain work experience..........maybe there are some government aided benefits such as tax issues...for helping with such schemes.

As for ...would/should someone go for such a position...........it depends on wether it will help them career wise..........some people have never had any form of employment and just want somthing to put on their cv so they are less embaressed handing it in........others would refuse to commit to such a position as they have a minimum time frame and may be useless to their long term career goals............

dont assume anything...every case is individual.......as for dixons.......i say fair play to them offering the role.....its not their fault the governments the one who designed it in the way it is......and maybe the government even contacted them requesting a placement.

I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs becuase I can tell you there are not.
    Oh there are jobs alright but the problem is they don't want to pay for the employees but now the Government has now given them that chance.

Great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

denballs wrote: »
    i say fair play to them offering the role.....
    I say boycott the pricks.

Serious question, are you applying for any job, or just a select few you're qualified for?

Initially I applied for jobs I was qualified for, now I apply for everything and anything.

This just reeks of begrudgery to me. I have work, that would be what matters to me. The amount of profit the company is making wouldn't come into it.

The profit should come into it when they are taking on staff without paying them a cent. Its beneficial to no one except the company.

But that shouldnt matter to the intern, who is given the opportunity to learn to stack shelves.

• Advertisement

What I am arguing is that the country cannot afford to pay dole for no reason and I do not believe that getting dole for nothing does anyone any good.
    Ah yes. I can only imagine what went through their minds.

"Look, we can't afford to pay people €188 a week for nothing. Let's pay them €188 + €50 and traffic them to private businesses as free labour."

It's the kind of logic that would make your brain melt and fall right out of your ears.

I think you're missing my point.

Nobody is viewing tesco as some benefactor or debating whether they are being kind or not, obviously a business is all about the profit.

But it's still essentially paying the dole for no reason! The taxpayer isn't going to get anything out of the scheme as it stands. Why should taxpayers fund the wages of unskilled workers for private companies? That's the question you need to answer.

I do get your point but I think you still don't get the point of the scheme.

It makes very little difference wether dixons pay minimum wage or nothing ....to them thats just 1 very basic netbook a week....
    I stopped reading after this line.

So tell me this, why if it make's very little difference to Dixons to pay minimum wage aren't they doing it?

Jesus fúcking Christ.

I'm not trying to put some sort of kind gesture spin on it at all. I accept that the companies are abusing the scheme. Will you actually read my posts before you go spouting nonsense.

If this wasn't costing the tax payer, something else would be. It's hardly a massive hit on the tax payer's pocket is it?

But the purpose of the scheme is to get people off the dole! Do you just not get that or something? It's a money saving venture that companies are abusing with the result that the taxpayer continues to lose out.

The profit should come into it when they are taking on staff without paying them a cent. Its beneficial to no one except the company.

But that shouldnt matter to the intern, who is given the opportunity to learn to stack shelves.

any work is better then none..........would you rather a blank space on your c.v under work experience or store assistant at tesco or dixons.......

(and dont say you,d rather a blank space....lol}

That's your opinion. Mine is it benefits the intern as they get to work rather than wasting their life sitting on their hole.

• Advertisement

But the thing is, a person stacking shelves in tesco for their dole is of no financial benefit to the country. It is to tesco though.

any work is better then none..........would you rather a blank space on your c.v under work experience or store assistant at tesco or dixons.......

Neither. I'd put in education instead.

If not education, charity work.

What I would never do however would be lining someone else's pockets at the cost of my dignity and life.

Doctor Jimbob hmm are you Dr. James McDaid FF who played a part in the downfall of this once great country :D

Ah yes. I can only imagine what went through their minds.

"Look, we can't afford to pay people €188 a week for nothing. Let's pay them €188 + €50 and traffic them to private businesses as free labour."

It's the kind of logic that would make your brain melt and fall right out of your ears.

Yes, those absolute bastards, giving people on the dole a chance to get some work experience. Scum.
    twinQuins wrote: »
    But it's still essentially paying the dole for no reason! The taxpayer isn't going to get anything out of the scheme as it stands. Why should taxpayers fund the wages of unskilled workers for private companies? That's the question you need to answer.

I do get your point but I think you still don't get the point of the scheme.

Because a few cents out of their tax money isn't going to hurt them while it's giving someone else a chance to work? A little thing I like to call 'Giving a fúck about your fellow man'.

So tell me this, why if it make's very little difference to Dixons to pay minimum wage aren't they doing it?

I think you do that for every post.
    twinQuins wrote: »
    But the purpose of the scheme is to get people off the dole! Do you just not get that or something? It's a money saving venture that companies are abusing with the result that the taxpayer continues to lose out.

Getting people some work is going to motivate at least some people to seek more work in the long run.

Someone else gets it. Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

You see,if you apply for a job with some "unemployed" spaces on it,companies DO understand that there is a recission going on ya know !! I would rather say that i was unemployed than to turn around and say that i let a company rip the hole out of me for 9 months.

• Advertisement

Ok, i will

Each dixons is outlined with a staffing layout of certain types of staff at certain wquantities (i.e there might be 2 managers 2 assistant managers 8 store assistants)

It depends on store size/location

Byut they cant just hire 100 people because they want to and have the funding......so if they want to hire extras .....this scheme allows them to do so without going over their outlined staffing budget.

That's your opinion. Mine is it benefits the intern as they get to work rather than wasting their life sitting on their hole.
    How is you standing on Grafton street watching people enjoying themselves earning me and my business easy money and screwing someone else out of a job not wasting your life?

Doctor Jimbob hmm are you Dr. James McDaid FF who played a part in the downfall of this once great country :D
    He must be at the whiskey again :D

Don't go ploughing down the N7 half cut now Jim :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

what the fk good is work exp at these places going to be if your looking for a skilled job?.. Are you actually for real?.

Anyone agreeing with this nonsense is whats wrong with this country.

But the thing is, a person stacking shelves in tesco for their dole is of no financial benefit to the country. It is to tesco though.

It's of benefit to the person as well.

What I would never do however would be lining someone else's pockets at the cost of my dignity and life.

At the cost of your dignity? Come on. I do agree with you that charity work would be a better use of someone's time though.

Yes.

Yes, those absolute bastards, giving people on the dole a chance to get some work experience. Scum.
    It's not work though, work = paid labour.

It's slavery.

you usually put education and work experience....if not ...well good luck getting a job......as for charity work,,,,,well....who has done that.....1/100,000 people...if not 1/1 mill..........and id rather put tesco then oxfam.

It's not work though, work = paid labour.

It's slavery.

slave/slāv/
    Noun:
    A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Yes.

This explains all your previous posts! How is your 97K pension going!

Id rather do something of benefit to the community than assist in boosting a company`s profits through free labour.

There must be nobody here up for work in the morning:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement