Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave labour jobs available

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

It's of benefit to the person as well.
    Umm yes because stacking shelves at Tesco for €0 has always been the Irish dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

denballs wrote: »
    Ok, i will

Each dixons is outlined with a staffing layout of certain types of staff at certain wquantities (i.e there might be 2 managers 2 assistant managers 8 store assistants)

It depends on store size/location

Byut they cant just hire 100 people because they want to and have the funding......so if they want to hire extras .....this scheme allows them to do so without going over their outlined staffing budget.
    You know something? PC World don't really sell that big of a range of hardware components. They sell the odd case or power supply but that's about it. The poor managers would love to sell a full range of components but it simply isn't economically viable.

I have a solution however. I will take it upon myself to persuade the government to donate €250,000 worth of stock to my local PC World every month. I also volunteer to stack the shelves and conduct all sales myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I have applied endlessly for jobs including the jobbridge and I have had TD's make representations on my behalf and I have made speculative approaches so do not tell me there are jobs because I can tell you there are not.

there are jobs but not a fraction as much as there used to be.

Nearly all the hires I have heard of recently have been through word of mouth.

A lot of companies through cutting costs have slashed their advertising accounts with websites like irishjobs and issued a freeze on using recruitment agencies.

So you have to look hard for them and they won't be found at home searching through ads.

Drawing up lists of companies in your desired field / location is one approach, find out who hr person is and send in cv an cover letter. Apply with cv in person to all cafes, shops, bars, restaurants. Ask everyone you know if their employer is hiring. Set up a linkedin profile and search proactively through that. Attend job and industry fairs and get talking to relevant people. And finally, take any work you can even unpaid crappy work to prevent a gap on your cv and while you're there ASK for a job, someone might mention "oh my wife's colleague resigned this morning". You can argue all you like but I am speaking from first-hand experience here. If all you do is answer job adverts you are giving yourself no advantage.

Plus does the scheme prevent people getting kicked off dole / scheme after 2 years?

slave/slāv/
    Noun:
    A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.
    Well I presume an intern at Tesco or Currys has to obey their managers orders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

yourpics wrote: »
    This explains all your previous posts! How is your 97K pension going!

More begrudgery.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Id rather do something of benefit to the community than assist in boosting a company`s profits through free labour.

There must be nobody here up for work in the morning:D
    The joys of shift work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Katgurl wrote: »
    there are jobs but not a fraction as much as there used to be.

Nearly all the hires I have heard of recently have been through word of mouth.

A lot of companies through cutting costs have slashed their advertising accounts with websites like irishjobs and issued a freeze on using recruitment agencies.

So you have to look hard for them and they won't be found at home searching through ads.

Drawing up lists of companies in your desired field / location is one approach, find out who hr person is and send in cv an cover letter. Apply with cv in person to all cafes, shops, bars, restaurants. Ask everyone you know if their employer is hiring. Set up a linkedin profile and search proactively through that. Attend job and industry fairs and get talking to relevant people. And finally, take any work you can even unpaid crappy work to prevent a gap on your cv and while you're there ASK for a job, someone might mention "oh my wife's colleague resigned this morning". You can argue all you like but I am speaking from first-hand experience here. If all you do is answer job adverts you are giving yourself no advantage.

Plus does the scheme prevent people getting kicked off dole / scheme after 2 years?

I have done all those believe it or not!
    Do you know of any work going? What industry are you in?

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Umm yes because stacking shelves at Tesco for €0 has always been the Irish dream.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it's better than doing nothing. That's all. It's not an ideal situation, and far from a dream, but It's better than nothing. It's a shame that's the best some people can do, but that's the reality of it.
    Well I presume an intern at Tesco or Currys has to obey their managers orders?

Of course, but they're hardly their property.

More begrudgery.
    Oh for the love of God :rolleyes: Go now please and reserve what dignity you've got left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anyone on the dole is not above any job, as soon as people get that into their heads the sooner they will get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

slave/slāv/
    Noun:
    A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them.

Some mad countries still call them wives these days.

More begrudgery.

Well if McDaid earned his 97k fair enough but he didn't, he rarely attended the dail and left in the end up. Obviously you are one of the many hoodwinked people Fianna Fail supporters in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

More begrudgery.
    You better believe it.I begrudge a drunk that is a Doctor(and a brown envelope gombeen) any kind of a reward from a job that he didnt do too well>if at all!

Oh for the love of God :rolleyes: Go now please and reserve what dignity you've got left.

Are you actually going to contribute anything or just insult me at every opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I am not in favour of profitable companies exploiting workers. I also am not in favour of people getting dole for sitting at home all day.
    If this scheme was brought out five years ago there would have been an outrage over it.
    I think the government is wrong to allow companies use worker like this. I personally would not do it no matter how long I was out of work.

• Advertisement

You better believe it.I begrudge a drunk that is a Doctor(and a brown envelope gombeen) any kind of a reward from a job that he didnt do too well>if at all!

+1

I'm not saying that, I'm saying it's better than doing nothing. That's all. It's not an ideal situation, and far from a dream, but It's better than nothing. It's a shame that's the best some people can do, but that's the reality of it.
    Perhaps umm... I don't know maybe they could be looking for a real job or going to college if it was an option.

yourpics wrote: »
    Well if McDaid earned his 97k fair enough but he didn't, he rarely attended the dail and left in the end up. Obviously you are one of the many hoodwinked people Fianna Fail supporters in Donegal.

To be quite honest you both have a good point and I take back my begrudgery statement. I have no time for FF at all.

Better than nothing?
    How is you standing on Grafton street watching people enjoying themselves earning me and my business easy money and screwing someone else out of a job not wasting your life?
    That is what you'd be doing if you were an intern in my hypothetical business.

Please explain how being an intern in my business is better than doing nothing. Give me some good reasons.

The joys of shift work :D

Or a broken leg in my case:D, and i wasnt even drinking.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Anyone on the dole is not above any job, as soon as people get that into their heads the sooner they will get a job.
    JOBS YES,SLAVERY NO !!

Are you actually going to contribute anything or just insult me at every opportunity?
    Where in any of my posts have I insulted you?

To be quite honest you both have a good point and I take back my begrudgery statement. I have no time for FF at all.

Fair play!! 3 cheers for you...

But plenty for FG and/or Labour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

you, guys ....and gals....dont seem to get it....

In an interview you will normally be asked at least 10 questions about your latest employment....

Things to check how well you got on with the boss and others......did you have any problems.....what you liked/didnt like......etc.....etc...etc.....

some people have never worked....and because they have never worked ...cannot answer these questions.....and therefore fail interviews.....or dont even have the ballz to apply............

so yes.....this is definitely of benefit to a wide range of people on jobseekers allowance.

say dixons and others are evil bloodsucking slavedrivers if you want...thats an opinion your entitled to...but you cannot deny the fact that this can be of benefit to some people.

Better than nothing?

Please explain how being an intern in my business is better than doing nothing. Give me some good reasons.

Oh Oh Oh me me me pick me teacher!

I would get fresh air as an intern with your company

Caliden wrote: »
    WTF you on about?

In an interview you will normally be asked at least 10 questions about your latest employment....

Things to check how well you got on with the boss and others......did you have any problems.....what you liked/didnt like......etc.....etc...etc.....

some people have never worked....and because they have never worked ...cannot answer these questions.....and therefore fail interviews.....or dont even have the ballz to apply............

so yes.....this is definitely of benefit to a wide range of people on jobseekers allowance.

say dixons and others are evil bloodsucking slavedrivers if you want...thats an opinion your entitled to...but you cannot deny the fact that this can be of benefit to some people.

So the first step to getting a paid job is to be someone's slave for six months?

Since when has this become acceptable?

hondasam wrote: »
    I am not in favour of profitable companies exploiting workers. I also am not in favour of people getting dole for sitting at home all day.
    If this scheme was brought out five years ago there would have been an outrage over it.
    I think the government is wrong to allow companies use worker like this. I personally would not do it no matter how long I was out of work.

If the worker is glad to have the work though, is it really exploitation?
    Perhaps umm... I don't know maybe they could be looking for a real job or going to college if it was an option.

A real job? And if there are none available? Then what?
    Better than nothing?

I'm not discussing your hypothetical business anymore, for the simple reason it's hypothetical.

Yes, Tesco and Dixons shareholders.

• Advertisement

So the first step to getting a paid job is to be someone's slave for six months?

better then sitting at home on xbox for 9 months and wishing you,d done somthing

A real job? And if there are none available? Then what?
    College, Fas course, voluntary work???

I'm not discussing your hypothetical business anymore, for the simple reason it's hypothetical.
    :pac:

JOBS YES,SLAVERY NO !!

I agree, no to slavery. However, this isn't slavery.
    Where in any of my posts have I insulted you?

Ok, I put that wrong, you took the piss out of my points rather than respond in any sensible way most of the time though.
    But plenty for FG and/or Labour?

No, actually.

It isn't slavery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

You see,if you apply for a job with some "unemployed" spaces on it,companies DO understand that there is a recission going on ya know !! I would rather say that i was unemployed than to turn around and say that i let a company rip the hole out of me for 9 months.

you might want to say it but no company wants to hear it.

If I'm reading through the 50 applicants for a role and I see 30 of them haven't worked in 18 months I will call the other 20 people first not because I am unsympathetic but because I do not have time to speak to all applicants and you have to select based on info you have in front of you.

Plus someone who sits down in front of an interviewer and states with a smile "ok so after earning 60k a year as an accountant, stacking shelves in tesco was NOT my dream job but I like to keep busy and being unemployed does not suit me" is much more reassuring than "yes i've been out of work for the last year and a half, there IS a recession on in case you haven't noticed".

Employers are facing same anxieties as everyone else and making financial investment is huge worry: an incorrect hire can cause ructions. As a jobseeker you should do everything you can to present yourself as a low risk reliable hardworking choice.

Just fill in the spaces by the vocal use of .............
    WTF:pac:

college requires a high standard of education....fas is useless.....voluntary work,,,,not as easy to come by as you,d imagine...these days...on the concern application it asks about previous work ..are you in college....rate you intrapersonal skills between 1-5 ...etc...etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

And its not in the slightest bit degrading and taking advantage of people in recession times?. Again unless your going for a job stocking shelves it wont help any professional in their career. :mad::mad:

:pac:

You're constructing this 'business' in your head, making it work under your rules to suit your argument when you've already had it pointed out to you that the scheme doesn't work the way you claimed. Therefore it's not worth discussing.

• Advertisement

So hypothetically, you wouldnt work as intern as a billboard man?

you might want to say it but no company wants to hear it.

If I'm reading through the 50 applicants for a role and I see 30 of them haven't worked in 18 months I will call the other 20 people first not because I am unsympathetic but because I do not have time to speak to all applicants and you have to select based on info you have in front of you.

Plus someone who sits down in front of an interviewer and states with a smile "ok so after earning 60k a year as an accountant, stacking shelves in tesco was NOT my dream job but I like to keep busy and being unemployed does not suit me" is much more reassuring than "yes i've been out of work for the last year and a half, there IS a recession on in case you haven't noticed".

Employers are facing same anxieties as everyone else and making financial investment is huge worry: an incorrect hire can cause ructions. As a jobseeker you should do everything you can to present yourself as a low risk reliable hardworking choice.

you just quoted what someone argued against me as somthing i said...please fix that

I've already said voluntary work would be a better option, college costs money, and FAS course, sure, why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If the worker is glad to have the work though, is it really exploitation?

You will be working along side other people doing the same job for a lot less money. This to me is ridiculous,if you were guaranteed a proper wage after a few months or something I might agree with it.
    The only winner here is the company who is getting slave labour.

a-k-47 wrote: »
    And its not in the slightest bit degrading and taking advantage of people in recession times?. Again unless your going for a job stocking shelves it wont help any professional in their career. :mad::mad:

But it will help people get off their asses.

You will be working along side other people doing the same job for a lot less money. This to me is ridiculous,if you were guaranteed a proper wage after a few months or something I might agree with it.

This would be quite degrading.

• Advertisement

better then sitting at home on xbox for 9 months and wishing you,d done somthing

If you packed and unpacked the xbox every day before and after use, that would be as good as the tesco shelf stacking experience.

a-k-47 wrote: »

some people cant get a job stocking shelves...so yes....thats the idea

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So hypothetically, you wouldnt work as intern as a billboard man?

I already said I would.

It's far from ideal, but at least it's experience. Calling it slave labour is the ridiculous thing here.

you just quoted what someone argued against me as somthing i said...please fix that

No i didnt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76348474&postcount=387

Catch up ;)

But it will help people get off their asses.
    Playing football will get them off there asses too, whats you're point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement