Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two way radio

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

not sure if i have this in the right forum so if not ill probably be moved accordingly.

i was just looking for info on the two way radios the likes of what taxis etc use, firstly where is the best place to purchase them(cost, reliability etc) and if bought abroad would that matter with the likes of tuning frequencies etc (excuse the ignorance).

what would my options be then regarding signals and that, ive heard there are two main options a local antenna of some sort which gives a few miles of quality signal or to rent space on a main antenna in the mountains somewhere which gives more or less blanket coverage. are these my only options and if so can i get more info on how i go about doing it.

any other info anyone has on setting the likes of this up would also be appreciated.............

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

You have a few options depending on what you want to do:

- PMR446 is license-free short range, small handheld radios. This is a Europe-wide standard so the radios will all be the same regardless of where you buy.
    - CB radio, again license free operation now assuming you get approved radios. You can have base station setups (like large external antennas) with these so better range than the PMR446 stuff, but be aware that this band is very much affected by atospheric conditions (good if you are into radio as a hobby, bad if you are looking for a reliable local communications system).
    - The radio systems that the likes of taxis/utilities etc. use require a license and would be multiple times the price of the above. The mountain idea you are talking about is probably a repeater system which provides much wider coverage than ground based systems.

You might be better of with mobile phones from the point of view of cost and coverage depending on how reliant you would be on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The RF Tech Guy

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 daragh077

Radio and Security Products or RSP - 20C Greenhills ind est Greenhills Rd Walkinstown. I work for a courier company and we use these guys. Give Mick a call and he will be sure to help you out : 01-4290002

Advertisement