Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media ignorance on Saorview

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't believe this when I read it today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0105/1224309824654.html
    Half a century of TV highlights

*snip blah blah*

Okay, so this moment hasn’t happened yet, but when they finally turn off the terrestrial signal at the end of this year, it will mark the end of a significant early phase in TV – and the sight of aerials on roofs. Digital has taken over, and Saorview has become the standard bearer for the future. But many will lament the end of a technology that worked very well for most – except in good weather . . .

I mean, WTF??? Do these eejits have any idea what Saorview is, and how it reaches your TV?

I see the Saorview website now has a kids section (not bad), maybe kids would do a better job than most mainstream media journalists? :rolleyes:

The amazingly crap standard of 'tech journalism' in this country is the stuff of legend, but c'mon, Saorview isn't hard to figure out and the public are supposed to be able to do so, with a little help, but all they're getting from the media is incomplete information at best and downright disinformation at worst.

As punishment I will make that journalist watch the Tommy and PJ commercials 10,000 times in a row :cool:

So what's the worst guff you've read, seen or heard in the media about Saorview?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm not seeing that particular quote, perhaps it has been corrected ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

This is not surprising when RTE's ad featuring Gay Byrne states "if you are watching this using an aerial then you will have to take action"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tony wrote: »
    I'm not seeing that particular quote, perhaps it has been corrected ?

Second last paragraph in the link. Unless the Irish Times has got Winston Smith on the payroll?

(they do change the online version of already published articles, if the author is dead and a large PR company makes a complaint, but that's another story)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Well I think you do unless you already have a saorview box or a saorview capable tv unless I'm missing something ?

danjo wrote: »
    This is not surprising when RTE's ad featuring Gay Byrne states "if you are watching this using an aerial then you will have to take action"

I don't see any problem with that. If you watch Irish channels through Sky or UPC exclusively, and are happy to continue wasting:pac: your money, then you don't need to do anything. It's not saying that aerials will magically become obsolete.

• Advertisement

The Wolf ? :) Sorry I missed the part you referred to . Is there an author to this piece ?

ninja900 wrote: »
    Second last paragraph in the link. Unless the Irish Times has got Winston Smith on the payroll?

(they do change the online version of already published articles, if the author is dead and a large PR company makes a complaint, but that's another story)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I read it in the print edition earlier, you beat me to the post.
    2q0k039.jpg
    The Wolf ? :) Sorry I missed the part you referred to . Is there an author to this piece ?

No author mentioned in the paper edition*, the Irish Times this week are running a series of articles titled "50 years of Irish TV". The piece quoted by ninja900 is a snippet from a banner (Half a century of TV highlights) under the main story (page 12/13), Laura Slattery's article on TV3.

*Edit: Compiled by SHANE HEGARTY according to Tuesday's newspaper.

Moving from the media, the government's own "Going Digital" website has the following headline
    Ireland’s national aerial TV network is switching off in 9 months - be ready!

hwzea0.jpg

Aerial TV network switching off, aerials no longer required :eek:

I guess that's where the Irish Times got their information.

The Cush wrote: »
    Moving from the media, the government's own "Going Digital" website has the following headline

Jaysus wept.
    But three nanoseconds of fact-checking would have sorted that out... So-called journalists relying on Google and Wikipedia have been heavily criticised internationally - but in Ireland, Google and Wikipedia are usually more accurate than 'journalists' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

"If you receive your TV broadcast from SKY or UPC then you do not need to worry about the SAORVIEW change over. It will not affect you."

This is causing some confusion for people who have Sky and UPC. Some might think that their boxes do Saorview automatically (yes I know technically they are paying for some of these channels as content). As a follow on from this, for those who are cancelling these services there is an added (and misguided) assumption that their existing box will still do Saorview anyway. Boxes are boxes after all, arent they :)

Hey. We do see questions here from people wondering why they cant receive saorview who go through rigorous questioning from helpful posters for the question to eventually end up at where is your aerial pointed and to be answered with "aerial ?" What do I need an aerial for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also people can have Sky/UPC/Magnet on one TV and other TVs are working on an aerial.

So it's a very badly worded statement.

The DSO / Saorview campaign in some aspects is advertising and promoting PayTV. Which is very wrong.

The Irish Indo printed this last week
    The success of Saorview, which will replace the old aerials found on over 600,000 homes by the end of 2012, will be critical to the future of TV in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/rte-boss-wielding-the-axe-in-bid-to-weather-economic-storm-2975314.html

and this from siliconrepublic (Jan 03), looks like they missed ASO announcement last Oct
    Also keep an eye on the digital TV providers. No doubt 1 December 2012 will be Ireland’s digital switchover date and consumers with aerials will switch to new services like Saorview, don’t forget that more than 60pc of TV viewers in Ireland access their services by satellite and cable.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/25171-the-tech-predictions-for/

The Irish Indo printed this last week

Just posted a comment pointing out the inaccuracy on that page

Well I think you do unless you already have a saorview box or a saorview capable tv unless I'm missing something ?
    The problem is that the ad lacks clarity. It plays into the digital aerial myth and is factually wrong.
    I realise a short tv ad cannot be all embracing but it should be precise.

In what way is it factually wrong ?

I am watching Saorview on a TV using an aerial. I do not need to take any action. This is a fact. The ad states I need to take action to continue receiving RTE etc.
    You may think this is nit picking but for anybody who purchased a Freeview HD TV connected to an aerial which shows no reference to Saorview could be confused by this advert.
    The focus of the ad is on the aerial and not both the aerial and receiver.

Ok but I'm guessing if you have either a saorview or a freeview enabled tv or box you are already aware of that . The ad is obviously aimed at the vast majority who are not saorview enabled so honestly I don't see the problem in the statement.

I am watching Saorview on a TV using an aerial. I do not need to take any action. This is a fact. The ad states I need to take action to continue receiving RTE etc.
    You may think this is nit picking but for anybody who purchased a Freeview HD TV connected to an aerial which shows no reference to Saorview could be confused by this advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

You did need to take action and you have already taken that action.
    I suppose they may be confused if they do not understand that Freeview HD is digital.

I do get your point but if they were to start mentioning Freeview HD they would be more likely to create more confusion, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

To add to the confusion - on the Marian Finucane show today they where reviewing Borgen on BBC4 when Marian implied that BBC4 was available on Saorview......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Infoanon wrote: »
    To add to the confusion - on the Marian Finucane show today they where reviewing Borgen on BBC4 when Marian implied that BBC4 was available on Saorview......

that is why she is paid big bucks by rte

• Advertisement

Another one in Saturday's IT (only got around to reading it today!)

A good article but spoiled by the second-last paragraph.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0107/1224309936089.html

And, due to political inaction, there are glaring anachronisms: it’s not clear, for example, why RTÉ should still have to take responsibility for the national transmission network, or should have to deal with the fallout from the failed digital terrestrial television rollout.

:eek:

Now, most of us here will know that refers to the failed attempts to launch commercial DTT, but what is the average reader who just bought (or is thinking of buying) a Saorview box or TV going to think?

Now, most of us here will know that refers to the failed attempts to launch commercial DTT, but what is the average reader who just bought (or is thinking of buying) a Saorview box or TV going to think?

Read that too in the paper edition and after the initial wtf's he on about, assumed he was referring to commercial DTT.

'John, shouldn't we get one of those new tellies the cat and dog are going on about in the ads?'

'No Mary, says here in the paper it's all a big flop, better give Sky a call on Monday.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could the original article possibly be referring to the old VHF aerials? Though I doubt all '600,000' are going to disappear overnight. Haven't used our old one in over 10 years and can't see us bothering to take it down any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hugh Linehans and his ramblings.

Some of the whole article I actually agree with other parts are so inaccurate and misguided.

The second last paragraph is down to 2 things, successive governments inaction and the ridiculous amount of time that the BCI sat on the whole process, it just delayed the inevitable. He is right though, it is no fault of RTE's. Its all very well having Free Digital Tv with plenty of choice, but someone has to pay for it!

We really need to get over the fact that we are not the UK and dont have their population and the money to plough into countless TV stations. It was NEVER a real commercial proposition. The advertising payback is limited. The population served says so.

Some might say that the days of alternative Irish commercial TVs days were numbered when we let Sky in to control how television should be delivered. Only since the recession have people really started looking for ways out of the brainwashing that is Murdoch's empire.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could the original article possibly be referring to the old VHF aerials?

I doubt it, I wonder if he knows the difference. Based on occasional posts here he could be in that group of people who assume that digital equals no aerial.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    old VHF aerials? Though I doubt all '600,000' are going to disappear overnight. Haven't used our old one in over 10 years and can't see us bothering to take it down any time soon.

Don't plan to take down my VHF aerial until after ASO next Oct. I'll probably watch the shut down on VHF that night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'll probably watch the shut down on VHF that night.

Aww Cush, you old softie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

....Don't plan to take down my VHF aerial until after ASO next Oct. I'll probably watch the shut down on VHF that night.
    Don't forget to have your Betamax recording it :D

Don't forget to have your Betamax recording it :D

:D

Never had a betamax might do it on my Sony VCR/DVD recorder. I wonder if we'll have a proper Saorview PVR by then :confused:.

• Advertisement

Ireland’s national aerial TV network is switching offin 9 months - be ready!

hwzea0.jpg

Small change to the "Going Digital" website, now referring to the "old aerial TV network is switching off in 9 months". Can't see why they don't say the analogue TV network is switching off, it would avoid confusion with aerials :confused:.

1zf1ta8.jpg

Advertisement