Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improving Self Defence - what to do

• 05-01-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but anyway...

I am looking to join a 'fight'/self defence class in order to protect myself, gain confidence and get out and about.

I've tried jujitsu before and got bored with it quite quickly. I want to try something that is fun, sociable, and will help me massively if I get into trouble (although I've have had no problems in 35 years...).

I've tried some boxing classes at the gym (which I was rubbish at) but enjoyed being on the punch bags.

I really don't want to go to some place where it is all uber agressive guys trying to knock the head of me at first chance.

What are the best options for me?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

no good gym will have a load of people that will want to bash your head in.. no matter what martial art you do you'll probably be bad at first, if you enjoyed boxing keep it up train at least 3 times a week and youll get better in good time.. if your looking for something different try muay thai its great for fitness and self defence.. whatever you choose stick at it long enough to improve at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Look around for a full contact striking art, kickboxing or muay thai. spend a few weeks there, if you feel comfortable, stay, if not move on.

depends whats in your area i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Find a nice gentle MMA club offering lessons for beginners.

All joking aside have a look around your area.

I know Luke Corcoran out in Coolmine BJJ has brought a club full of beginners to some great success over the last twelve months, I think if anyone would understand your needs Luke or his father would.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Op, you couldn't find a more sociable and fun club in dublin 15 in any sport than coolmine bjj !

Check out coolminebjj.com for training details or add coolmine bjj on Facebook and give us a message!

More than welcome to come down, we love beginners! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am looking to join a 'fight'/self defence class in order to protect myself, gain confidence and get out and about.

I've tried jujitsu before and got bored with it quite quickly. I want to try something that is fun, sociable, and will help me massively if I get into trouble (although I've have had no problems in 35 years...).

I've tried some boxing classes at the gym (which I was rubbish at) but enjoyed being on the punch bags.

I really don't want to go to some place where it is all uber agressive guys trying to knock the head of me at first chance.

Any advice appreciated!

Sounds to me like Krav Maga is what you want. It's an Israeli self defence system. If there is none of that locally, perhaps a traditional karate style is what you would want? Or as mentioned already kickboxing or Muay Thai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would recommend Maui Thai, MMA or Judo... possibly kickboxing if the club does full contact or K1.

Im not much into Kata's or learning strikes unless its on an opponent or punch bag - I hate doing repetitive punches/kicks into fresh air. I do like the Judo ground game and BJJ but you have to persevere with it and learn your guard first which can get quite boring (but well worth the time to learn properly).

The bottom line is that you have to stick with it and give it a good chance, don't go up for a week or 2 and leave if you are not progressing at the pace you thought you would be. I see it so much at our club, guys come up to do MMA and leave after a few weeks because they thought they would be complete cage fighters and sparring with the seniors after a couple of sessions, it doesn't work like that! I was 33 having done Kempo & Bushido for years when I started MMA and I still had to train with the youths until I got to a level and was able to hold my own before I could spar with the senior members. There is no point in juniors sparring with seniors as it benefits neither parties, the juniors lose confidence and the seniors gain nothing either so just bear with it and if you give it a good chance, you will see the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - sorry I should have stated that I am based in Belfast. Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll start looking into them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hi - sorry I should have stated that I am based in Belfast.

Try http://www.ku-belfast.com/ contact Eric directly, his details are on the site.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

What part of Bfast you from mate

Jamie crawford has thai gym in south bfast, find him on facebook, or search for Langka muya thai gym on Fbook as well, from his friends you'll find lots of MMA clubs, boxing clubs etc in the area

thanks

Paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Any advice appreciated!

Hi,

You could try our Belfast school. The focus is on self-defence and the guys are very friendly. The website is www.wingtsun-ni.com and this is the facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wingtsun-NI/113054665449262?sk=wall

Regards,

Michael
    www.wingtsun.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement