Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to conceive

Options
  • 05-01-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

hi,
    i was told that i have hyperprolactinemia (high prolactin levels), which makes it difficult to ovulate and produce eggs. i'm on medication to help with this problem but i am to return to the hospital to find out if there is any progress and would like to know if i can ever get pregnant. so i would like to know if anyone out there has or has had a problem similar to mine and was able to conceive as i have never known of anyone to have this problem.
    user_online.gifreport.gif

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hiya Hope :)

I was diagnosed in November 2010 with the same. I was put on Parlodel (bromocriptine). I am currently nearly 22 weeks pregnant. :) so have not taken it since I got my positive test.

I started a thread here when I was first diagnosed:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056025057

and there have been others on this forum that have high prolactin that I replied to:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75982062
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056193714
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284216

Hope this is of some help to you, and if you have any questions, feel free to shout :) and I can try to answer them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hope29

hi,
    thank you for the reply. it feels good to finally talk to someone about this. i'm due back in the hospital in febuary. i only found out i had this because i had sore boobs, headaches and no periods. and congrats on your pregnancy. how long were you with hospital appointments and with your GP before you became pregnant?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

hope29 wrote: »
    hi,
    thank you for the reply. it feels good to finally talk to someone about this. i'm due back in the hospital in febuary. i only found out i had this because i had sore boobs, headaches and no periods. and congrats on your pregnancy. how long were you with hospital appointments and with your GP before you became pregnant?

Well, the Parlodel resolved my prolactin issue within a month, and subsequent blood tests showed that my levels were normal enough not to interfere with ovulation, but it seems that we had an underlying issue as well. I suspect that one of us or both might have had slight sub-fertility or something.

We were told to give it six months on Parlodel to see if I got pregnant, and once that was up, returned to the clinic in June for the next step - ovulation induction (though I did already ovulate) I think that the meds can strengthen the egg and ovulation. I responded too well to the first month of meds, over-ovulated, so it became a cancelled cycle with my meds adjusted the following month. The July cycle went fine but I didnt concieve, and August was our last month to try OI before moving onto IUI so I was kinda resigned to be going to the next stage when I got my positive test.

hello neyite,

I feel more relax talk to you, hope i getting pregnant soon. thank you so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clari

Hi All,
    My name is Clarissa & I have elevated prolactin levels. Need to do a MRI as told by the doc...Trying to conceive, but very scared...I was put on Dostinex for 3 months but no improvement. Infact, I dont even have the normal symptoms.Its just that my periods are irregular ranging from 40 - 50 days so I really dont know when to expect them, so dont know when I ovulate also. Please hel :)

• Advertisement

clari wrote: »
    Hi All,
    My name is Clarissa & I have elevated prolactin levels. Need to do a MRI as told by the doc...Trying to conceive, but very scared...I was put on Dostinex for 3 months but no improvement. Infact, I dont even have the normal symptoms.Its just that my periods are irregular ranging from 40 - 50 days so I really dont know when to expect them, so dont know when I ovulate also. Please hel :)[/QUOTE

Hi Clarissa
    i only been the hospital once im back on the 29th of feb. i dont get any periods and get headache and sore breast. Im on amitriptyline at the moment, im going to asked the hospital what my chance when i go back.Are you going to the hospital?

Advertisement