Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bit of advice..

• 06-01-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi there everyone, I was wondering could anyone help me on this...

My cat Cream is a neutered male, and has been litter trained from day one. He's now 2 and a half, and is the friendliest little begger you'd ever meet! But today he has began to spray in the house :( the only other time he's done this is when my brother came home from college after a long spell away (we figured he was threatened by the male figure!) but this time there has been absolutely NOTHING different about the place.

Since he came in this evening he has sprayed 3 times, and I've stopped him from doing it twice more. He is now shut into the utility where the litter tray is kept just in case, as we don't want any more accidents on the soft furnishings! I changed his litter when I put him out in case that was the problem but he still sprayed out there too. And also, he normally is an extremely vocal cat with a real high pitched meow (seriously, he never stops meowing!) but this evening his meows are really low pitched and he just sounds uncomfortable, more braying than meowing really.

He is also acting really wild, jumping up at everything, biting, clawing, doing flips. He normally does this for about a half hour after he wakes up but its been going on all evening. I've been trying to give him cuddles which normally brings him out of this 'mad half hour' but he's very reluctant to be touched, so I'm just making sure he is drinking loads - even if I have to force it down him!!

I was thinking that he might possibly have a UTI, but its only been going on for a day, so would it be mad to take him to the vet in the morning? Should I wait till Saturday instead to see how it goes? I just hate the little baba being in pain :(

Wow, sorry for the essay! Thanks to anyone who might have some advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I would try to get him to a vet sooner rater than later. Bring a urine sample with you, it will speed things up a bit. I use the beads from inside teddies and beanbags and put these in the litter tray instead of litter, anything that's clean and won't soak up the urine. Best to rule out anything medical before thinking of behavioural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Great idea on the beads, Zapperzy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'll try that thanks! If he doesn't go in the tray overnight would there be some way of the vet getting a sample when we're over there, expressing the bladder maybe?

I'll call them first thing when they open in the morning, I'd rather get him seen while I'm home than be worrying while I'm away at college! I really don't think its behavioural though, he does seem to be in pain. He's only just settled down to sleep now, on the condition he is curled up under the duvet behind my knees! (he doesn't normally sleep here, I'm feeling sorry for him :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'll try that thanks! If he doesn't go in the tray overnight would there be some way of the vet getting a sample when we're over there, expressing the bladder maybe?

I'll call them first thing when they open in the morning, I'd rather get him seen while I'm home than be worrying while I'm away at college! I really don't think its behavioural though, he does seem to be in pain. He's only just settled down to sleep now, on the condition he is curled up under the duvet behind my knees! (he doesn't normally sleep here, I'm feeling sorry for him :D)

Ya it can be manually expressed, if he's anything like my cat though he'l hold onto his bladder tight and not let out a drop! Be careful he doesn't pee in the bed beside you, that's what mine used to do when she had problems (although some/most of her problem was/is behavioural). And good luck with getting any sleep with him there, mine despite being small makes sure she takes up the whole bed by lying in the middle and loudly protesting if I move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

well I found out what was wrong without bringing him to the vet, poor thing was very constipated. I've never seen the litter tray as full as it was this morning! Would it be okay to give him some cod liver oil in his food to help him keep things moving or is there something else I can use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement